Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner November 2011

Wedding Lamp Shade Hire - Am I mad?!?

JEN37, 8 October, 2011 at 13:41 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi Ladies,

Im hoping you can help me. I hand make lampshades as my business and I am getting married later this year, although my venue has beautiful lighting it didnt fit in with my colour scheme so I made some which were more suitable.

Im really looking for honest opinions as to what people think of the idea of being able to hire lampshades for their wedding venue? My other half thinks im bonkers and maybe I am! I was just thinking that just like my venue, im sure alot of places have beautiful lighting but it may not fit with peoples colours and flowers etc.

My plan was to offer a choice of cordless table lamps and then a choice of table and ceiling lamps in a selection of plain colours, stripes, spots, ivory and white with coloured bows, and even digitally print images of peoples flowers on the shades.

I dont think im totally loopy as I have custom made shades for people getting married before but this just seems a very expensive way of people doing it, plus you are then left with loads of lamp shades after your big day!

My way of thinking is that it could be a much more affordable way of people being able to have something really different instead of or as an addition to normal centrepieces and decorations. I would offer them at a sensible hire price and offer an additional set up charge if people wanted my to put them up locally?

I would really love to know what anyone thinks before I even think about doing anything about it, im not sure if my wedding plans are taking over my brain!

Thanks in advance.

6 replies

Latest activity by Sherrie H, 9 October, 2011 at 07:52
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

If I'm honest I have absolutely no idea what the lighting is like at my venue!

My gut reaction would be that there wouldn't be much market for those people that have a venue such as a stately manor or hotel (also I'd be surprised if the venues allowed it).

But, there may be a market for marquee hire as you're working with a blank canvas. I would approach the marquee hire companies as they may decide that you could be a supplier they could offer their clients, or hire directly from you etc.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't have been able to have the main lights changed at my venue and don't think I would have bothered with the cost tbh but I did want cordless table lamps and couldn't find them so there may be a market there.

As Kharv said, try marquee companies, much more of a blank canvas.

• J
    Beginner November 2011
    JEN37 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the quick response.

Thats a really good point, alot of people probably dont even look at the lighting, guess its because its my job (im obsessed!)

The marquee suggestion is a great one, thankyou. I am pretty sure it would be a fairly limited market but just thought it might appeal to people as something different.

• Big Apple
    Beginner February 2013
    Big Apple ·
    • Hide content

Our venue is a purpose built wooden structure (think giant sauna as MrApples describes it!) our venue dressers offer various lighting options, not to the actual lights as they're spot lights, but they can provide up lighters with coloured bulbs etc to match colour schemes etc. This is something we considered as our venue is a huge blank canvas. So maybe lighting at barns and venues such as ours. if we were getting married in a more 'traditional' venue then I guess the lighting etc would be a feature of the age of the building so I wouldn't want to change it!

• J
    jules40 ·
    • Hide content

I am a venue dresser and get asked for lots of things, I even had one bride who wanted me to ask if the venue would change the curtains!But I can honestly say nobody has ever asked about the lights. in my experience not many places have the type of lampshades you could replace, most fittings seem to be either candelabra type thing with "candle" looking light bulbs, or glass shades. or modern spotlight type stuff.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS! I think it would be a tad Bridezilla!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics