Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

nightmarewings
Beginner April 2013

Wedding licence.

nightmarewings, 18 July, 2012 at 21:42 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi all, I was just wondering something and thought you could help.

On the 30th July me and the OH are going down to the registray office to register our wedding. Now I was told it's £35 each to do so, Now is that just to announce it? Or is that for a registar to go to the venue we want aswell?

I'm a little confused as I was told £70 is all we need to take.

12 replies

Latest activity by kingfisher1923, 20 July, 2012 at 08:45
  • Kylie541
    Beginner February 2013
    Kylie541 ·
    • Hide content

It was £70.00 to give notice and £470.00 ish for them to attend on the day.

• Earthy
    Beginner August 2012
    Earthy ·
    • Hide content

£35 is for giving notice then you will have to pay extra for them on the day. The price for this will vary from county to county.

We needed to book both of these separately so that's probably why you've only been told to take £70.

• nightmarewings
    Beginner April 2013
    nightmarewings ·
    • Hide content

Thing is from looking on my towns site its £370 for a registar to go out and conduct the cermony, but we allready have someone to do that.

See we are getting married in the Salvation Army church so the major is doing it, she just needs someone offical there to make sure she does it right.

Would that still come under the £300 odd that it states as we dont need them to actually do the cermony?

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

You will most likely have to still pay the standard fee as a minister will still be there using his/her time, and will need to be paid for that, but no harm in asking if theres a discount on the basis that they won't actually be conducting the ceremony.

• Zoomo13
    Beginner August 2015
    Zoomo13 ·
    • Hide content

We asked if a deacon in the family could conduct a nion religious civil ceremony for us, we were told that we would still have to have a registrar there and still pay the full price even if they didnt conduct the ceremony.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I would have thought you would have to pay the full amount regardless.

We paid £70 to give notice then £350 for the registrar.

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

Is this the same if you get married in a church with a priest??

• nightmarewings
    Beginner April 2013
    nightmarewings ·
    • Hide content

I found out today that its going to cost us £375 just for them to stand there, But of a joke if you ask me.

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, the priest/vicar is legally allowed to marry you and effectively is the registrar.

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But it has to be legal and a salvation army major isnt legally able to perform the ceremony. Its not really that much when you consider that this is the bit that means you are actually married, the most important bit of the whole day!

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Phew! I hadn't even thought about any extra cost for that. Thanks Smiley smile x

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It depends on what denomination the church is. Church of England Priests are legally given the same power as the registrar to conduct and oversee the legalities of the ceremony. Some other churches don't have the same power which is why I assume the OP is having to pay for the registrar as well.

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kingfisher1923 ·
    • Hide content

Yes, it's only Church of England vicars who (as you say) have the legal power to 'be' the registrar and marry you. I don't know about the Catholic church.

For all other denominations (eg Salvation Army, Methodist, Baptist etc), the minister will conduct the ceremony but there must be an official registrar from the council, OR an 'authorised person' from the church present to make it legal. Quite a lot of churches have their own official 'authorised person' who is authorised by the registrar to oversee weddings but usually just in that church building, or if necessary in other churches in the same registration district. They are usually just a volunteer who is a member of the church.

So if your church doesn't have an authorised person, you will have to pay the full fee for the registrar to come out.

We are getting married in a Baptist church, but they do have their own authorised person, who will act as registrar for our wedding - it's included in the fee we're paying to the church.

Hope that makes sense!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics