Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2014

Wedding license/certificate

Sarah5790, 19 of August of 2013 at 12:29 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi

This may sound like a stupid question but I have no idea lol. Anyway I was just wondering when are you meant to get your wedding license and where do you get them from also does anyone know how much they cost?

My other question is after your married what are you meant to do with your passport for your honeymoon do you need it changed to your married name before if after your honeymoon?

Thanks x

9 replies

Latest activity by ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 21 of August of 2013 at 18:35
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Are you having a civil ceremony?

You don't really get a physical 'licence' - you pay to give notice (about £70 ish for the two of you) then pay for the registry office or for the registrar to come to you to perform the ceremony (anywhere between £100 and £600).

You need your travel documents in the same name as your passport. You can either apply to change your passport before the wedding (but then you can't use it until after you're married) or you just travel in your maiden name.

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just out of interest - do you know if you get a physical licence if you give notice in a different council to the one you are getting married in?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If there was one (does the bit of paper my home registrar sent to my marriage registrar constitute a "licence"?), I never saw it. All our paperwork was dealt with between the registrars.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

BlossomJ, I think it depends on your council - some handle it directly between the registrars, others, like ours, gave us a piece of paper after our notice period which we had to send on to the council where we got married. Can't remember if it was actually called a licence though!

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh yes it's just the certificate right? Got confused by the OP about licence haha. Ok, so either it'll just get sorted out between the two or I'll send it off... brilliant, thanks ?

• J
    Beginner April 2013
    JanetJones ·
    • Hide content

This was how it worked for us.

I got married in Neath, and I live in Stroud.

OH phoned Neath Register office to provisionally hold the date. We went to STROUD Registry office to give notice. Stroud Registry office posted our "Intention to Marry" to Neath Register office, where they displayed it for fourteen days. After fourteen days, and nobody had objected (can you imagine? Oh the shame) they sent us a letter saying that we were to get wed at such a such a time/date (the one we had provisionally held) in such a such a licenced venue.

We went to see the Registrar that would be marrying us 6 weeks before the wedding to pay her the £250 for her to marry us at the venue, and on the day, they charged us I think it was about two quid for the marriage certificate, which I gave to my Mum to keep in her handbag.

She also told us that I have to re-register our daughter, as now my name has changed to what it was previous to the wedding.

Hope that helps.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our intention to marry was displayed at our home register office. Otherwise, anyone wishing to object would have to trawl around register offices, looking for where you were getting married?

• N
    Beginner January 2011
    Natasha11 ·
    • Hide content

I've been quite confused about this subject. In terms of name and honeymoon, after researching it a little while ago I've decided to travel under my maiden name and then make sure everything is changed to married name after.

I called the registrar in the council we're getting married in first to provisionally book the ceremony date, then waited for confirmation through the post saying where/when we had to give notice (council we live in which is diff). We've now made the appointment to give notice which is in a couple of months. Knew they would put our names up for all to see for couple weeks but didnt know what happens after that...

Do some places give/send you the paper work for the other registrar where youre getting married and some send direct? When do you hear about having to meet the registrar that's marrying you....? Confused! lol

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

1. Yep, some send direct, some give you the docs to pass on. You'll be told when you give notice what you will need to do.

2. We didn't meet our registrar before the day, email/phone contact only.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics