Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

slinkysarah
Beginner June 2011

Wedding make up - which foundation?

slinkysarah, 10 May, 2011 at 07:41 Posted on Planning 0 28

Can anyone reccommend me a really good foundation, I usually use dream matte mousse which I like but it doesn't cover as well as I would like for my wedding.

How much difference does a primer make? I've never used one.

I'm shopping later so get your suggestions in quick! ?

28 replies

Latest activity by Rochelle (Make up HIB), 10 May, 2011 at 16:11
  • Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a make-up lady and she's using the airbrush silicone-based stuff. I really suffer with my skin at the moment though so I NEED heavy duty foundation. I've heard excellent things about Mac and Bobbi Brown stuff.

• Lauren25
    Beginner July 2011
    Lauren25 ·
    • Hide content

For a foundation that isn't too expensive, I have use Revlon photofinish and I think its brilliant, really good coverage and lasts too! You could go to a beauty counter and try a few different ones

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

L'Oreal Infallible is pretty good, or if you've got time to experiment try mailorder Sheer Cover minerals - good stuff but you need practice at getting it right.

Primer is essential for powder minerals, not so necessary for liquid or mousse foundations.

• slinkysarah
    Beginner June 2011
    slinkysarah ·
    • Hide content

My skin is quite good just gets a little bit dry. I think I will look for the revlon one there are some good reviews online about it.

Any more ideas?

?

• Lauren25
    Beginner July 2011
    Lauren25 ·
    • Hide content

Rimmel renew and lift- had that too pretty good.

TBH I think Maxfactor and Revlon are really good for coverage and lasting, I've had benefit and Mac foundations but believe it or not I prefer the more reasonably priced Revlon. Having said that if yoou need a good concealer benefit erase paste and Mac concealer in the little pot are very good.

Best powder I've used is Mac Studio Fix.

Sorry if you didn't want/need all that info but thought i'd tell you what I found good x

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I've bought MAC Studio Fix Foundation. It feel quite thick on your skin but it does the trick.

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I'd second the Revlon Photofinish one. I used it for my first wedding. My skin isn't great but it looked it in the photos! ?

• a_white_izzy
    Beginner September 2011
    a_white_izzy ·
    • Hide content

If you're willing to spend a bit more, (about £35 for liquid and powder) MAC is the way to go. It was specially designed to be photographed and the coverage is amazing. If you pop to a counter and tell them you'd like to try some for your bridal makeup, they'll see which type and shade is best for you and put a bit on you. You might have to wait a couple of mins because they get quite busy, but its worth it if you don't know what to get.

Primers are worth it too. I got mine from superdrug, its their own make and about £13 but its brilliant and makes your skin look flawless. MAC do that too but it'll cost you much more.

I love makeup!!! Let us know what you get!! xx

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

I got bobbi brown moirture rich for the wedding, it is lovely, really light coverage which I like as I usually only wear tinted moisturiser, never found a foundation that I didnt find too heavy before, I would recommend it if you only want something light

• Jay-Low
    Beginner
    Jay-Low ·
    • Hide content

For foundation I'd recommend Mac every time. My make up lady used the mineral one from mac & it lasted so well. And for me I'd say primer is a must. I have dry skin & find the primer by Benefit to be the best (can't think of the name of it but it's in a thick round tube and comes out as a pink liquid!)

• Rochelle (Make up HIB)
    Rochelle (Make up HIB) ·
    • Hide content

I don't use primers all the time but if I do, I like Makeup Forever HD primer. I also love Chanel Hydramax serum for really dry skin, not a primer but really makes the foundation go on smoothly.

For foundation I love Chanel Pro Lumiere and use that on most of my brides. If you're prone to oily skin, Chanel Mat Lumiere is lovely.

I love most Mac stuff but I'm really not a fan of their foundations at all. They are among some of the worst I've ever used.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its called 'That Gal' I dont really rate it as a primer but is lovely for brightening your skin

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I've tried lots of foundations. I like MAC for coverage (but the colour is too yellow for my pink based skin) and Maybelline for colour (but doesn't last as long as MAC) Hence I am going for a mixture of the two - blending my own seems to have got me there at last!

( I nearly had a Harry Hill fight moment there...I like MAC but I like Maybelline. Which is best? There's only one way to find out...)

• slinkysarah
    Beginner June 2011
    slinkysarah ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear how do I choose!! Do I use primer under liquid foundation?

Thanks for all the replies you lot are great ?

• Aimee Hicks (Makeup HIB)
    Aimee Hicks (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

I use mainly Clinique foundations on my brides as they cover well and feel nice and light on your skin. Like Rochelle I love MAC makeup but don't like their foundations at all.

If your skin is dry then Bobbi Brown do nice foundations. Although if only a little bit of your skin is dry then Clinique Superbalanced is good.

As for primers I use Laura Mercier. They help your foundation go on smoothly and stay put for the day.

Aimee x

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Have you looked at the different shades in MAC? If you look at the shade code, you'll see NC or NW which is Naturally Cool or Naturally Warm. The Naturally Cool ones have a more yellowy tone and the Naturally Warm have a more pinky tone. Perhaps you should look at an NW shade.

• Jay-Low
    Beginner
    Jay-Low ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Naboo, that's the one. I could have got off my bum and walked upstairs to look in my make up box to find out the name but I'm having a lazy day today! ?

• P
    Beginner September 2011
    PrettySparkly ·
    • Hide content

I'm quite liking No7 at the moment, I think its their mineral liquid foundation but I forget what exactly its called - its in a black tube!! I also like the No7 primer, it says that it helps to deal with excess oils which I need! This foundation has good coverage but it is still light and I don't look like I've trowled it on!

I quite like Avon's liquid foundation too but they don't do the right shade for me Smiley sad

I have a problem with oily skin on my forehead, cheeks and nose. It doesn't seem to matter what foundation I use, or primer (or cleanser, toner.....), I still look shiny after about 4 hours of having cleansed and put make up on Smiley sad Ho hum. I like the No7 translucent powder to help soak up the oils though (I sound like an advert for No7, lol!!)

I'm having my make up done for my wedding, the salon uses Jane Iredale which is lovely, but I can't afford for every day!

Hope you find what you're looking for.

PS Smiley smile x

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've got NW 20 and it's still too yellow!

• Annah304
    Beginner April 2011
    Annah304 ·
    • Hide content

I used Estee Lauder Matte Primer Plus underneath their Doublewear Light foundation and it was just perfect for me - felt really light, didn't come off all day and I think made my skin look nice and clear and flawless (impressive as my face is very uneven in tone!) for the day.

The foundation and primer were each around £20 I think, so not cheap, but at least I get to use it again after the day - and it will last quite a long time I think ?

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

17 photo finish primer and foundation - cheap but works very well

Tracey

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agree about the primer. Work chum tested it against Benefit and preferred it, so we all went out and bought 3 tubes on Boots 3 for 2 offer! Cheapskates? Us??

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I can recommend Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation which I've used for years. It covers evenly without looking too heavy and conceals any blemishes too. It stays put all day and night but you need lots of hot soapy water to remove it all or their cleanser if you like but hot water does it just as good. I tried their light version of double day and, for me, it didn't give as good a coverage as the normal version. I used their primer underneath but have to say I was disappointed. This is the only Estee Lauder product I've bought that I haven't been happy with and may actually take it back for a refund because it wasn't cheap and doesn't cover the red veins on my cheeks which the saleslady said it would.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Where are you? I have been desperate for some make up forever items but can't find a stockist in the uk

• Aimee Hicks (Makeup HIB)
    Aimee Hicks (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I use Estee Lauder Double Wear on myself and love it. But be very careful if you have dry skin at all as it's made for combination /oily skin types and it's too heavy and drying for dry skin.

Aimee x

• B
    Beginner June 2011
    Beki<3'sphill ·
    • Hide content

What i have done is order sample packs of different foundation from ebay, they only cost a couple of quid (i got estee lauder double wear foundation 3 sample sachets for about 1.50) and you can try different ones and see how they last. Just a thought.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Depending on which store you go into, you can get free samples at the Estee counter of most foundations. You get it in a small bottle and it lasts for about 4/5 applications. In fact, if you keep going to different stores, you might not need to buy any for a while LOL!

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

I have just recently had an extended make up trial as my CBM, who is a qualified beautician, is doing my wedding make up and stayed a few days with me. We tried a few combinations and the one that worked for me was Clarins Flash Beauty Balm as a primer, even though it is not advertised as such, and Lancome Teint Miracle as foundation.

I was really lucky as she has loads of samples of all sorts so we tried virtually every brand and type, but this is the way to do it....so it may involve some legwork around the beauty stands in department stores!

One thing my CBM did state was that every one is different, so you can get all the advice in the world but those products just may not work for you at all....also make sure that if you are planning on having a spray tan or being naturally tanned factor that in as your choice of foundation will have to match your skin tone on the day itself, and it won't if you are more tanned than when you first tried it!

• Rochelle (Make up HIB)
    Rochelle (Make up HIB) ·
    • Hide content

I'm in Leicestershire but I order online from www.gurumakeupemporium.com. Drop me a pm and I might be able to help you out.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics