Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner May 2024 Lancashire

Wedding morning dilemmas

Future Mrs J, 16 of January of 2024 at 21:56 Posted on Planning 2 8

We had booked a dressing area at our venue for me and the bridal party to get ready in. Unfortunately our venue said we would only be able to access this from 8:30am but my make up artist has to start by 7am. We asked if our venue could adjust the start time but unfortunately they couldn’t as there is a wedding the day before and the bedrooms are close to the dressing area which is completely understandable. The make up artist said she can’t change location part way through the morning which is also understandable.

We aren’t getting married close to home so I had booked a room at a lodge near by and 2 of my bridesmaids booked rooms there too with their partners. The manager of the lodge has kindly said we can get ready there but has raised some concerns such as late check out and the number of cars due to limited car park spaces.

My issues with this plan are

1. Two of my bridesmaids and my mum haven’t booked rooms there so I feel like I’m taking the mick having them come over to get ready as I’m worried about having people at the hotel who haven’t booked in
  2. The rooms don’t look the biggest on the pictures so I don’t know whether we’ll have to have the hairstylist in one room and the make up artist in another but I don’t really want to split everyone up on the morning. There is a connecting door so hopefully this might ease the situation but it still worries me.
  3. My bridesmaids will probably have their boyfriends staying and I don’t know whether it will feel awkward if they’re there when we’re getting ready. Should I raise this with my bridesmaids and ask if they could maybe plan to get ready in the other room together whilst we get ready in other two connecting rooms
  4. My photographer is booked from 12pm and our ceremony is at 1pm. With the original plan of getting ready at the venue meant we could capture some of the morning but now I feel like I’ll miss out on capturing those moments as we will be traveling to the venue
  5. With originally planning on getting ready at the venue I hadn’t booked transportation. I’ve looked into booking wedding cars and they’re really expensive and not something we’ve factored into the budget. Guests will be in the ceremony room by 12:30 so we can’t ask for other guests to give us lifts as we have been asked to arrive at 12:45. I’m sure my dad would be happy to run the bridesmaids back and forth then come back and pick me up but I don’t want to leave my bridesmaids alone for too long. Has anyone got any ideas? I thought I could maybe book a taxi for the bridesmaids but I didn’t know whether this would look a bit cheap

Our hotel bookings at the lodge are non refundable so it’s not an option to book elsewhere.

Sorry for the long dilemma and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

8 replies

Latest activity by Liz, 1 of February of 2024 at 17:17
  • Ivana
    Dedicated August 2024 East London
    Ivana ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

1. I do not see an issue with you having your mom and two of your bridesmaids who have not booked rooms there get ready in the morning, they won't be sleeping there, they are just going to come in the morning to get ready. Double check with the manager of the lodge so you are 100% sure. You have paid so they will try to accommodate you as best as they can.

2. Work with what you have and don't stress too much about it. It can be worth it to ask if they have another space where you are able to get ready all together. If not, as you mentioned there are connecting doors so that can also workkkk!!!! Don't overthink it.

3. To be honest, the partners will probably volunteer to leave themselves or will just chill around until everyone is getting ready. If you don't want them in your way while getting ready you can always offer them to do some tasks on the day to help with the wedding.

4. Why do you feel like you will be missing out?

Are you able to designate a bridesmaid to capture some of the moments even if it is not professional. You can get a disposable camera and everyone takes a turn in capturing their favourite moment from the morning of getting ready.

Also if you will not be able to use your photographer from 12 as planned before, ask if you can slightly adjust the time that the photographer would start so you don't lose on that hour as you mentioned you will travel to the venue.

5. The taxi is not bad! It is for sure cheaper than hiring a vehicle for the wedding. I'm not sure if there's uber in your area? But they offer a Lux car hire option, if not just go with the taxi. If anyone from your guests wants to volunteer as a driver then you can always do that too. If you feel bad for asking just anyone, then ask only those who are close to you or someone from your bridal party (worth asking a groomsman too).

Hope that helps?! Don't stress it too much, you are supposed to enjoy the day of your wedding.

• F
    Future Mrs J ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Ivana, thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate you taking your time to respond. Like you say I’m probably stressing over nothing and it will all work itself out on the day. We are meeting with our photographer soon so I can see if she can adjust the timings and I check if there’s any nice taxi company’s in the area. Unfortunately there isn’t Uber in the area but that is a great suggestion. Thanks again from a less stressed bride to be x
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

"My photographer is booked from 12pm and our ceremony is at 1pm. With the original plan of getting ready at the venue meant we could capture some of the morning but now I feel like I’ll miss out on capturing those moments as we will be travelling to the venue"

In my experience 1 hour will not be enough to capture the bridal prep as the hair and makeup would just about be finished and the dress is about to go on so to give you enough time for last minute dress issues - doing up that corset back then some photos when everyone is ready as the registrar will be coming to see you at 12.45 (in your case ). Also at this time shots can be taken of the ceremony room the groom and lads guests arriving. With only 1 hour you may get hardly anything.

"Are you able to designate a bridesmaid to capture some of the moments even if it is not professional. You can get a disposable camera and everyone takes a turn in capturing their favourite moment from the morning of getting ready. "

Please do not get disposable cameras as they are useless rubbish and their phones will take x1000 better photos

I think the best option is to have the hair and make up done at the lodge and then travel to the venue to get there for 11.30 and everyone can get dressed there and your photographer can meet you there. I see wedding mornings done this way quite often do to bridal room access.

• F
    Future Mrs J ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Very good points. Me and my partner were thinking of getting a digital camera for our honeymoon so we could always use that to capture some of the moments in the morning. We’ve got a meeting with our photographer soon so we might look into extending the hours or reworking the timings of the day to capture as much as we can.
    I will check with our venue to see if there is anyway we can access one of the bedrooms earlier or dressing area at this time. My only fear was we have asked guests to arrive at 12pm on the invitations so I’m conscious we may bump into them or even worse my husband to be but if we arrived early enough hopefully they could be avoided. Thank you very much again for your help, it’s good to hear from someone who has lots of experience in this area Smiley smile
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Glad I could help

"My only fear was we have asked guests to arrive at 12pm on the invitations so I’m conscious we may bump into them or even worse my husband to be but if we arrived early enough hopefully they could be avoided."

I thought that might be the case that's why I said 11.30, also you can tell your future husband to say in the bar at that time - Im sure he wont mind Smiley xd

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You can have your hair and makeup done where you are staying and then travel to your wedding venue and get into your wedding dress there. Just make sure you have a top that unbuttons or unzips instead of needing to be pulled over your head, so that you don't disturb your hair and makeup when changing. If you get changed at the ceremony venue, even if guests or your OH do see you, they'll only see your hair, not your dress. But it should be possible to get a couple of members of your wedding party to go ahead of you and check the way is clear if it's really important to you that no one sees you before the wedding.

• L
    Curious February 2024 East London
    Lisacarmel ·
    • Hide content
    Just an idea but could you ask your hairstylist/make up artist to bring a second and start a bit later so you could be at the venue? May cost a bit more but would then all be in the right place and able to make the most of the photographer?
  • L
    Beginner May 2024 West Midlands
    Liz ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I would suggest staying in one place-gift out the rooms in that lodge that are nearby some guests may like to stay over! I would cut out 2 bridesmaids makeup/hair, sounds harsh but that is most likely the reason for early start. if it was just your hair and makeup you won't need to be starting at the crack of dawn. Or as the above ask them to bring an assistant/ pay for another makeup artist just for your bridesmaids depending on how many there are. That would solve all of those problems created by the bridal party. They should be there to help.you not create additional work especially worrying for their partners too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics