Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

belindacoles
Beginner May 2011

Wedding on a Thursday?

belindacoles, 16 November, 2009 at 12:05 Posted on Planning 0 26

For those of you that have booked a wedding on a Thursday, how have you found your guests have reacted and what are your attendance numbers like?

I am considering a Thursday wedding as it would cut cost a lot, but am getting mixed opinions.

Thanks ?

26 replies

Latest activity by HatTrick, 17 November, 2009 at 09:27
  • Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

I have photographed weddings on every day of the week and found little difference in general numbers. If given enough notice, most people will make it.

After all, a Sunday wedding will invariably impact on peoples work for the Monday...

• Kim31
    Kim31 ·
    • Hide content

I personally love midweek weddings... I agree with Peter that if enough notice is given most people will come.

HTH

Kim x

• Broody_wife
    Beginner
    Broody_wife ·
    • Hide content

Hi Belinda, My weddings a sunday and I also go mixed reviews. However I'm lucky enough mine falls on Sept Weekend. As long as everyone knows well in advance what day your wedding is it shouldn't make the slightest difference! x

• belindacoles
    Beginner May 2011
    belindacoles ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the opinions!

I fallen in love with a venue that is slightly out of budget, if I go for a Thursday instead of Friday then I can save myself around £3000.

Its not until 2011 so plenty of notice and I figure a Friday wedding would require a day off anyway so not too much harm in expecting people to take an extra day (thurs & fri)

• Broody_wife
    Beginner
    Broody_wife ·
    • Hide content

You sometimes get better deals for midweek weddings, our hotel offered us a choice of 2 rooms, One for the ceremony and one for the meal/reception if we had it on a Saturday, However as we are now having it on the sunday, the whole Hotel is exclusively ours at no extra cost!! I would definately see what offers they can give you for midweek weddings as it always works out better! x

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm - that's a toughie!

I did want to say that depending on how well I knew the people, I'd be there regardless.

However, it would need for me to take time off work and if it was within my current holiday period (mine aren't Jan-Dec), then I wouldn't be able to attend as I'm, already short of holidays this holiday year and will need to take around 5 days off unpaid for my honeymoon.

As has been said, the more notice the better but depending on people's current holiday comitments, they may not all be able to attend.

I know some jobs don't allow you holidays at certain times (got a couple of accountancy friends who can't be off over "month end", etc)

• Steelgoddess
    Beginner June 2010
    Steelgoddess ·
    • Hide content

The main thing you need to remember is the most important people will be there on the day, if they're not thats up to them, it should matter what day its on. The only time I didn't make a mid week wedding was being I was pregnant and suffered badly with sickness after 4pm nothing to do with the day...

Its your special day and if it cuts the price by alot then thats a good thing!!

xxxxx

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Personally I'd struggle with a Thursday wedding because I'd want to be able to drink and not worry about the time I got home at so ideally I'd want to be off on the Friday as well and I couldn't afford to use 2 days annual leave.

Best case senerio for me would be to only be off on the Thursday but then I'd want to be home before midnight so maybe be prepared for your guests to leave before the last dance.

It's easy to say people that mean a lot to you will do it but I just don't have a lot of spare annual leave so best friend or not I'd be in the same position and so would my hubby.

Maybe speak to your guests and see if anyone has the same problem as I would and then you can see how feasible it is.

If only a few people can't make it then I'd still go ahead with a Thursday wedding.

Good luck x

• Hugo Brambles
    Beginner August 2002
    Hugo Brambles ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married on a Friday to save money and that's a compromise as people will have to have it off work. We didn't want a Sunday wedding as we didn't want people to hold back/leave early because they'd be back on work on Monday. I guess you have the same issue with a Thursday wedding so I don't think I would personally have a Thursday wedding but £3k is a BIG saving lol!!

• B
    Beginner January 2010
    bridetobehaha ·
    • Hide content

Hi, we are having a Thursday wedding in August 2010. we have sent save the date cards out so that those who work will have plenty of notice to book the day off. We are trying to keep costs down and all the children will be off school anyway!!

bridetobehaha?

• Foddette
    Beginner March 2010
    Foddette ·
    • Hide content

Our wedding is on a Monday in March 2010 (it fell on a Monday as it's 5yrs since we started going out & 2yrs since we got engaged).

My MIL2B was of the same opinion as you 'will people bother getting the time off work'. We sent out Save the Date cards 1yr before (only to the all day guests) & so far out of 60 people only 3 have replied to say they can't make it & that's because they're on holiday.

If people want to celebrate your big day, they'll make the effort.

• Carol1
    Beginner June 2010
    Carol1 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

We are having a Friday wedding, even though it is the same price for a Friday or a sat - and both were available. Because we're having it on an island in Scotland I thought if we had it on a saturday, people would have a late night, then really stuggle to get off the island and back home on Sunday, and the thought of that long journey might hang over them and stop them enjoying the day.

My good friend said not to have it on a Friday as it would mean people would have to also take the thursday off to travel up, but personally I think that if they tried to rush up to the island, and back again they would be stressed and not have a good time, so overall we thought a Friday was best. The only people I know will have a problem are our schoolteacher friends, but overall numbers are tight for the venue, so if one of our friends can't make it, it will free up the space for someone else to attend.

It's quite a complicated issue, and the more people you ask they all have an opinion of what they want and what would suit them best. I think if it's a case of getting a great venue then go for it!

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's not always as simple as that. I'd have to take a day off unpaid and i'm already havnig to take unpaid holidays for my honeymoon. And depending on where people are and travel wise - it might be 2 days that are needed...

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married on a wednesday, but also abroad so a whole different issue! I would go for it as long as you give people lots of notice and make sure everyone knows its a thursday. Make it idiot obvious - don't just write 19/11/09 write thursday the 19th november 2009. Be prepared for some people not to make it. However, it will be cheaper, not only for venue, but for suppliers (flower and tog esp.)

• The BFG
    Beginner August 2010
    The BFG ·
    • Hide content

Our wedding is booked for a friday for financial reasons also! and it has been very well recieved we have had no-one say that they wouldnt be able to come because its a weekday! There have been a couple of people who have said they may not be able to come but that is for medical reasons Smiley sad

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't see a problem with a Friday wedding as most people have the Saturday off to recover. But... a Thursday wedding would probably require 2 days off, which some people might be a bit more reluctant to do.

How much of a discount would you get for a Friday? It's still a weekday so should still be cheaper.

If not, if you give plenty of notice I don't see why the majority of people couldn't make it, and those who can't will have plenty of time to lt you know in advance.

• The BFG
    Beginner August 2010
    The BFG ·
    • Hide content

We got 10% off for having ours on a friday this would be the same for any weekday at our venue x

• Jumbly Girl
    Beginner May 2010
    Jumbly Girl ·
    • Hide content

Do many of your guests have to travel far?

All bar two guests (my parents!) are having to travel at least a few hundred miles to our wedding, and so I planned my ceremony as late on Saturday as I could get away with in order to allow people to travel up on the day, so that they don't need to take holiday for me. I'm always really conscious about stuff like that because I've struggled to get time off in the past (and not through want of trying, believe me).

Perhaps consider having the wedding as late on the Thursday as you can, and then you might be able to minimise the amount of time people have to take off work?

• Weather Girl
    Beginner October 2009
    Weather Girl ·
    • Hide content

We got married on a Friday and didn't find it to be a problem at all. Most of our guests liked the fact they got a long weekend out of it. The main thing to bear in mind is that the majority of guests will be taking holiday therefore you need to give them as much notice as possible.

A Thursday wedding is a little different in that, as others have said, guests would ideally need to take two days off work or leave the reception early so it's worth bearing that in mind. Having said that if you can make huge savings by having it mid-week then I'd say go for it. To be honest, there'll always be someone who makes a comment about it.

My mum said something to me when we were deciding on what day to book - most people go for a Saturday, but what about all those people who work weekends? They would need to take a day off at least too. I thought that was a really good point.

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

It really is down to the individual- I work in a school and during term time would not be able to get any week days off. You have to just think of what the majority of your guests can do.

• Mel B
    Beginner
    Mel B ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married on a thursday next august. My guests have been fine about it because I have sent save the date cards already so that they have time to book time off work and arrange child care because we don't want children (I warned people about this as well) if they have a problem about it...tough, if they want to see me get married they have to be ok with a thursday! Simples!!?

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

One other consideration is that we have had many threads on here in the past where a major sporting occasion has affected the wedding day where guests have disappeared to find a tv. Apart from the forthcoming world cup, where any day could be a match, a Thursday is usually guaranteed to avoid this type of distraction as not much happens on Thursdays(sporting wise)

Imagine having booked your wedding on the world cup final day(which is also the British Grand Prix(if it happens). Guests can be heavily torn......which of course they shouldn't be....

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are getting married on 4th September (a Saturday) and MIL has joked that she won't be coming if her football team are playing. Fingers crossed she carries out this threat ?

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

Or did you carefully choose your date knowing that they would be playing????

Seriously though, I have seen this as a big issue at weddings and it has been well documented before on this forum...Thursdays(apart from Europa Cup) and Fridays are fairly sport free......

• laineywhu
    Beginner July 2010
    laineywhu ·
    • Hide content

Moonpig - Me and my OH picked a July wedding so that we didnt miss any football (both West ham season ticket holders)

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

We didn't even give football a thought when choosing our date, I couldn't give a hoot if it was the world cup final and England had made it through ? So we chose the date we wanted and if that annoys MIL then I just class that as a bonus!

I would be a bit annoyed/hurt if the day time guests chose a football match over my wedding, as the daytime guests are close family and freinds.

When does the football season start? It's mid August isn't it?? I don't see why the MIL would want to watch Birmingham City lose again for anyway ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics