Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

BustyB
Beginner June 2012

Wedding Pack Lunch

BustyB, 28 February, 2011 at 11:33

Posted on Planning 52

Hello I was just wondering if anyone has had a wedding pack lunch. So every guest has a lil bag of food - rather than a buffet/set meal. Their isnt going to be enough room at our reception to have a big buffet table and their wont be enough room on each table for the food either. So I was thinking...

Hello

I was just wondering if anyone has had a wedding pack lunch. So every guest has a lil bag of food - rather than a buffet/set meal.

Their isnt going to be enough room at our reception to have a big buffet table and their wont be enough room on each table for the food either. So I was thinking this would be a good idea, plus could all be made up the night before and kept in the chiller. And I think it would go well with our theme too (picnic/village fete)

What does everyone think?Would you eat a packlunch if you went to a wedding?

B x

52 replies

• BustyB
    Beginner June 2012
    BustyB ·
    • Hide content

We cant have people sitting on the floor as the wedding will mostly be our families (who are older and wont like sitting on the floor) . Plus my Dad has MS (its going to be a struggle for him to walk me down the aisle let alone sit on the floor) , so that is not a choice for us.

Bx

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Love this idea! Sounds like it will be a very colourful, relaxed day x

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

You did say "it's the space issue not the cost" on the other page... I can't see a sit-down meal costing much more than a posh picnic-basket, as with everything it depends what you choose! Don't get me wrong... I do like the idea and I do see where you're coming from... but if you don't have space on the tables for plates of food to use as a buffet, you will not have space for baskets or bags either. So I can't see how it is practically going to work, without people having to put the basket on their laps while they eat!

As someone else suggested, you could hire some people to walk between the tables with big platters for people to help themselves from. Or have people collect a plate of food from another room and then walk back through and sit down.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

How about having the food laid out like a buffet but picnic style indoors & out so that people can just help themselves

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Aw that really is a tricky one.

I think CBs questions were all valid too, which adds some complication into the mix - it's a lovely idea, but not sure how it would work in practise.

If your having the ceremony outside, I think i'd be tempted to consider eating out there too, hence eliminating the space problem.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Why not get a load of tiered cake stands and serve the food that way? You could have one between 4. They won't take up too much space. Once the savoury food has been eaten, you can replenish the stands with sweet stuff.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Love that second pic Sherrie, when I first read this thread that is the image I had in my mind, i think it could work really well

• BustyB
    Beginner June 2012
    BustyB ·
    • Hide content

I love the pics Sherrie - I think the 2nd one is the look im going for.

I like the idea of the wedding cake stand Cricket Bride, but I think the picnic basket look is what I am going for.

Thank you

Bx

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

That will look fab, sounds like it will suit your day well, I'd be impressed if i was a guest

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I think you should ignore the nay sayers, it sounds lovely and you should do what you want! I also love the list of food that you mentioned. I am veggie so would appreciate that most of the food in the basket is too!

If the weather's nice your guests can take the baskets outside?

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good idea, you could have a few picnic rugs for people to take out if they want to sit outside with their basket

• BustyB
    Beginner June 2012
    BustyB ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Naboo and Knitting vixen.

My OH's sister, mum and son are all veggies so i have on purposely made most of it meat free Smiley smile

Yes they could take them outside.

After we have eaten I am going to have picnic blankies for people to take outside and sit on and relax before the evening reception starts. Well obviously only if the weather allows! Smiley surprise

Bx

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, just one more thing for you to consider. If you go with the big basket for 6-8 people or however many, just be aware of allergies. Anyone with an allergy will need their own so as not to cross contaminate the food.

I like the feel of the photos Sherrie posted. It would take some organising but done in the right way it could work.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

yes, and she can ignore them if she wants!

• Mistral
    Beginner
    Mistral ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

I haven't managed to get through all the replies but my cousin had a picnic for her wedding and it wasn't absolutely. She had big picnic baskets and her reception was in a Marquee at the proms and was absolutely beautiful.. Everyone really enjoyed the lovely food in the basket, there was lots of different and interesting stuff in there. Mmmmm tasty. I might be tempted to do a similar thing but I think we're going to have a winter wedding and might want something to warm ourselves up!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics