Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

rachd03
Beginner May 2014

wedding party cravats headache!!

rachd03, 20 of January of 2014 at 13:04 Posted on Planning 0 24

Hi all,

My BM dresses arrived last week so I took them to the suit hire place at the weekend to match the cravats to the dresses. None of their pinks matched and as they are Dessy dresses it would cost about £200 to order the matching cravats and handkerchiefs from Dessy (I cannot justify paying that on what is essentially a piece of fabric!!).

Iv been giving myself a headache all weekend thinking of ways around it and think I have finally decided. If I order my OH the matching pink cravat from Dessy and have the rest of the male bridal party with cream/ivory cravats. Do you think this would work? have flashed some of the other aspects to see if it all ties in.

BM DRESSES

FLOWERGIRL DRESS

BM BOUQUET

CENTREPIECES

CHAIR SASH

SUITS

xx

24 replies

Latest activity by kharv, 21 of January of 2014 at 18:41
  • Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

I'm biased because I did take the stupid option of buying 5 ties identical colour to my BM and flower girl dress, they cost me £40 each which obviously is ridiculous and I knew that. But I also knew that if it wasn't all matching it would have bothered me on the day, and as ours are pink like yours I would say they can be worn again. As your flower girl dress is not pink I would say you could get away with the groomsmen in ivory ties and it wouldn't matter too much.

• M
    Beginner December 2015
    MrsAJ2be ·
    • Hide content

I think that your idea sounds good. Although I think it would be better to have the groomsmen in the pink and your groom in ivory, I do understand the issue of the price. And IMO the groom should wear a different colour cravat or tie so then it is obvious which is the one getting married.

• rachd03
    Beginner May 2014
    rachd03 ·
    • Hide content

Id love to have them matching Hoddy but I just can't justify the price :/

That was my initial thought MrsAJ, but I would need to order 7 in the pink which would be £200. Just seems like alot for some fabric.

Aw thanks Charley, I keep looking on Ebay, but am worried Ill order them and they wont match when they arrive. Am driving myself crazy haha

x

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I felt the same and when I handed over the deposit I felt a bit of a wally! But OH is happy and therefore so am I Smiley smile

• MrsBeckiW
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsBeckiW ·
    • Hide content

Ordering one will be fine.

I think it's traditional for the groom to wear ivory and the others to wear a colour, but when my OH tried his on he preferred the colour so we are doing it backwards Smiley smile

Either that or use a secondary colour if there is one in your scheme?

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    maybeachbride ·
    • Hide content

Im in the same situation although my bridesmaids dresses are from Jane Norman and i'm yet to find a matching cravat at all.

I'm considering the groom wearing our colour and groomsmen wearing ivory, thats if i can find the colour. I emailed a person on ebay and he has sent me out colour swatches to try match which has been very useful although no match yet. I am having one dress altered for a younger bride so hopefully ill get a colour swatch from that.

Im also at the stage of changing my colour to a easier colour to match.

That or picking another couple of colours for a theme, I think this maybe our best option as we are getting married abroad and have no idea what colour sashes they have etc, very stressful.

I uktimately would have groom in Ivory tho but im just picky!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree. Our groomsmen wore cravats that matched the bridesmaid dresses, and my husband wore ivory to match me, and so that he looked like the groom! It's a shame the cost of your matching cravats is so high.

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

How's your sewing?

You can get a cravat pattern cheap enough, from a quick google search you can get a PDF download for cravats and bow ties for £6.25 from Etsy...

I imagine it would be easy enough to buy some fabric to match the colour of your bridesmaid dresses and it would work out a lot cheaper than £200!

If you can't sew very well have you got any friends or family members who could make them for you? I doubt they are very difficult?

I am having bow ties for the men and one of my friends is making them for me with a free pattern I downloaded, she has already made one and it looks great ;-)

• rachd03
    Beginner May 2014
    rachd03 ·
    • Hide content

I have a friend who said her mom could make them if I could find the fabric. Think I need a trip to the rag market to go on a fabric hunt!!

I know in my head I would just think it looked wrong having OH in pink and everyone else in ivory when its normally the other way round. Im an over thinker anyway and I know it would bug me, plus OH had his heart set on wearing the cream/ivory.

I can see myself ordering the cravats from Dessy just to put my mind at ease. :/

Fingers crossed I can find matching fabric!!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    maybeachbride ·
    • Hide content

You sound just like me hence why im still on the hunt

• rachd03
    Beginner May 2014
    rachd03 ·
    • Hide content

Haha! Its doing my own head in now, wish I had just picked a normal pink!!

• B
    Beginner January 2015
    blondejenius ·
    • Hide content

I have bookmarked this eBay listing for cravats as they say that they can match virtually any colour, might be worth a look. ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200653346566?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Good luck!

• rachd03
    Beginner May 2014
    rachd03 ·
    • Hide content

Ooo thank you!! I'll check it out ? x

• S
    Beginner September 2015
    SunnyBlackConfetti19 ·
    • Hide content

Do dessy sell a wrap that matched the dresses? if they do, could you buy one of them and have it chopped up and made into cravats? not sure but it might work out cheaper?

• meandmrjones2014
    Beginner March 2014
    meandmrjones2014 ·
    • Hide content

My BM are similar in colour to this and we are having the men in ivory with the pink stripe on them the ties are stunning IMO and having my OH, Best man, Usher and my dad all in the same, know some people like the groom different, I personally am not a fan.

does dessy not do the ties online to match their dresses? I think i seen this when I was looking at dessy dress for my BM

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

Does it have to be an exact match??? Can't you have two shades of pink that compliment each other?

my bridesmaids are wearing sagey green dresses and the grooms men's cravats are also 'sage' green but bring from different companies the cravats are darker than the dresses!

maybe I'm being too laid back not letting it stress me out lol! Will try snap a pic of the fabric samples together later!

• M
    Beginner June 2012
    miss h to mrs h ·
    • Hide content

You can just order fabric from dessy and then have them made, that's what the bridal shop where I bought my dessy from do. They said it works out much cheaper

• rachd03
    Beginner May 2014
    rachd03 ·
    • Hide content

Iv had a look but unfortunately they dont, the closest thing they do are pashminas!x

• rachd03
    Beginner May 2014
    rachd03 ·
    • Hide content

Me+MrJones - I will have a look at the ties, thanks. Think OH had his heart set on a cravat thouh.

PB - I was happy enough with a close match but nothing I have found does come close unfortunately. Its like a nude/salmon pink and the closest is baby pink. It would look too obvious that I had tried to match but didnt IYSWIM. I have emailed the Ebay person that someone recommended earlier so hopefully they will be able to give me a close match.

Miss H - I didnt know you could do that! dod you just order the fabric direct from the website? Guess it depends on delivery times aswell if they need to be made.

xx

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

We didn't bother trying to match our cravats. Mr Kharv wore ivory and the rest of the men wore a silvery grey.

The sashes on the BM dresses were grey but they by no means matched. What about choosing two neutral colours like that?

• rachd03
    Beginner May 2014
    rachd03 ·
    • Hide content

Thats what we were going to do Kharv. Have OH in silvery/grey and the rest in ivory. The BMs will have cream flowers and mine and flowergirl dresses are ivory. Wasnt sure how it would look, but know I know thats how you did it, it gives me an excuse to have another look at your report ?. Think I'll feel better once I have seen that idea in a real wedding if that makes sense!xx

• rachd03
    Beginner May 2014
    rachd03 ·
    • Hide content

Thats what we were going to do Kharv. Have OH in silvery/grey and the rest in ivory. The BMs will have cream flowers and mine and flowergirl dresses are ivory. Wasnt sure how it would look, but know I know thats how you did it, it gives me an excuse to have another look at your report ?. Think I'll feel better once I have seen that idea in a real wedding if that makes sense!xx

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

This is a pic of the wedding party (I don't think there's one of men and girls together in my report) Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics