Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J

Wedding photographer that doesn't cost the earth

Juliebb, 17 of January of 2020 at 19:27 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hello folks, we're in the starting stages of sorting wedding planning and constantly cringe every time we try and find a photographer and see the price list.

Surely there are people out there who don't cost as much?

We would appreciate any advice or referrals to help us in our search.

The wedding will be located in Sheffield.

11 replies

Latest activity by Karen1357, 21 of February of 2021 at 12:06
  • Mintyslippers
    Mintyslippers ·
    • Hide content

Hitched have a great directory of suppliers.

We know plenty of amazing folk but they are around the £2,000 mark.

It would be helpful to have an idea of what you are looking to pay as everyones view on what the earth costs can vary Smiley smile

• J
    Juliebb ·
    • Hide content

Well £2000 is even more than we've been quoted by the venues recommended photographers!

We were hoping to top out at less than £1000.

• L
    Dedicated June 2019
    LuxuriousPurpleBridesmaid73066 ·
    • Hide content

I got married in Edinburgh so my photographer won’t be any use however we paid £600 for him. He did from starting to get ready until the second dance. Our photographer though advertised himself as a pet photographer not a wedding photographer though he did have weddings on his website too. It might be worth widening your search to more than those that advertise themselves as wedding photographers.

We heard about ours via word of mouth and were shown some of his work by another person who used him for their wedding.

• C
    CatherineLutherWeddingFilms ·
    • Hide content

I've worked with Andy from AW Photography before and he's a great photographer and an all-round lovely guy. I think he's around the £1000 mark and is based in Glossop so not too far from Sheffield.

Catherine Luther Wedding Films - beautiful, natural wedding films

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My prices are below £1000 but what helps keep my prices low is not travelling all over the country, so mainly wedding photography in Leicestershire area.

I don't want to attempt to justify other photographers price or criticize business models but yes anyone who advertise themselves as a wedding photographer should cost more than - lets say someone who photographs pets.

Also if the shooter is a full time pro or someone who also has a full time other job.

If I were photographing pets as some extra income whilst I also had a full time job then I would not need two spare backup cameras, back up flash, batteries hard drives - spare everything in fact, camera insurance. So why is that ?

Lets say If I were not able to come and photograph your dog because an item of equipment was in for repair then what would be the consequence --- nothing, at worse I will not be asked to return later. What would that matter to me - nothing because its not my main income nor do I have a reputation to maintain.

Sometimes the delivery times can be very long if a person shooting the wedding also has another full time job, a way to mitigate this is for them to use 3rd party companies, India being a popular choice who will do all the editing for them. Or perhaps to give you 1000 images without any editing apart from basic automated process with extra editing on a handful. A general guide is that the more images in the package the less editing there is. I offer between 300 and 500 fully edited images a guide here for you on that. And for security and artistic reasons I do all the editing myself and usually offer delivery 2 weeks later.

So when it comes to weddings yes the costs are and should be much more, and if someone is offering wedding photography at very low prices then there may to be reasons for it.

• J
    Juliebb ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the recommendation.

His photos looks very impressive!

• L
    Dedicated June 2019
    LuxuriousPurpleBridesmaid73066 ·
    • Hide content

I was lucky with my photographer as he came with three cameras, tripod and extra flash if needed. He knew our hotel well as he did his research and was able to ask if any of the rooms we were in were the ones that had no windows. However if I hadn’t seen physical examples of his wedding work I might not have been so keen to use him. Make sure you see examples of the work of which ever photographer you use.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Our wedding photographer splits the day up into 'modules' and you can either have whole-day coverage or just bits. We are having just the ceremony and a few group shots after, and he is charging £300. I think a full day (bridal prep to evening party) plus a second shooter is around £1,000. But we are in South Wales where prices tend to be a lot cheaper. It's worth looking around though, as we found several photographers who were charging £800 to £1,000 for a half day before we found this one. And judging by the websites and Facebook pages, their photos are no better.

• H
    Beginner
    Happybride71 ·
    • Hide content

Can't recommend Caroline Hinch highly enough - she is based in Chesterfield:

https://www.carolinehinchphotography.co.uk/

• H
    Beginner
    HappyYellowHair4376 ·
    • Hide content

Try Tomas (https://www.tomas.wedding/) - I had him and his wife for my wedding. Beautiful documentary style photos, 2 shooters and they took over 1000 photos Smiley laugh you get a lot for your money and doesn't cost the earth. They cover whole of UK.

• K
    California
    Karen1357 ·
    • Hide content

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics