Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner July 2023 Lancashire

Wedding photographers

Jessica, 25 of August of 2022 at 22:47 Posted on Planning 0 9
What's the going rate for a wedding photographer. Am I silly thinking £1500-£200 is really expensive. 🤦🏽‍♀️ We get married next July and I'm struggling to find one in our budget. Xx

9 replies

Latest activity by Lisa, 28 of August of 2022 at 07:11
  • Jon
    Beginner November 2022 South East London
    Jon ·
    • Hide content

Yes !! I found that too !!!! OMG some of the prices are scary …..

We spoke to our venue team who had a list of suppliers they have come to there’re locations as near by or have worked at that location on a few times… we ended up finding two amazing peps who would charge £750 for 4 hours cover and the all the photos on memory stick and all that jazz …we seen the work and they are on here too ( we in london ) so we could see the work and feed back too … we have now got ours ready and at a price of £750 with a cover of another £250 encase party is a banger 😂

So do ask your Venue to as they may have peps they know too……

But yes £2k is just crazy ….keep looking as there are peps out there who Don’t think they’re David Bailey …..

J

• A
    Dedicated March 2024 Essex
    Alison ·
    • Hide content
    I did looooads of research into wedding photographers last week. I found that £1.5-2k is pretty standard but when you look a bit deeper they are selling packages, a lot of which I wasn’t really interested in. Eg.
    -engagement shoot - my fiancé and I find these a bit cringe
    -12 hours of footage - our ceremony is at 4pm and getting ready shots are kind of my worst nightmare (I know they look lovely but I also know myself and that I will already find it stressful, too hot and too many people without someone else there trying to get nice pictures)-250 page padded photo album - I was really looking forward to putting my own one together on vistaprint like I did when my brother got married.
    Once you cut all that stuff out (assuming like us, you didn’t want it anyway) it becomes a lot more affordable. We have booked someone who offers half day shoots (from ceremony to first stance) with a USB of JPEGS which is perfect for us £495.
    My advice would be keep looking for someone who offers something like this or approach photographers and ask if they would be prepared to offer something like this outside of their packages (easier if you aren’t getting married on a summer Saturday I imagine).
    Good luck xx
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Alison has made a good point on simplifying big packages. One good photographer who has good editing skills to deliver perfectly edited colour full resolution images ready for you to do as you wish is all you should need. In my opinion all the extra is just marketing perceived added value that in a lot of instances actually cost the shooter next to nothing monetary wise. Which is why asking a shooter to strip these out may not always reduce the cost.

I keep my prices low and simple - you don't get a fancy wooden usb stick presented in a box with some wood shavings - Heck I don't even put a bow around it ! --- Those things alone can be adding £30 to your package.

One thing though a coverage from ceremony to first dance would normally be considered a full day.

A 1pm ceremony would see the photographer there at 12.00 to capture room set up details groom and the lads guests arriving. Then 90% of first dances are 8pm so after a few party shots 8.30- 9pm = 10 hours.

A half day would typically be prep to start of wedding breakfast. Or a later ceremony that went straight into an evening buffet.

Alison i would advise reconsider some prep coverage it doesn't have to be the way you imagine - see here

• A
    Dedicated March 2024 Essex
    Alison ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    To be fair because our ceremony is 4pm the half day works for us. If you are getting married at 1 then I can see you might want a few more hours!
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah right that makes sense and fits in with my later wedding scenario - have a look at my link.

• Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    I agree with some other posters on the additional costs. We had our photographer from 12 at the house to photograph bridal prep tune up until 7.30/8 for the cake cutting and first dance. He provided 760 images copyright free on a weblink and he charged £1200. I am in Surrey as well so we though that was great value. I’ve created my own wedding album using his images on the Snapfish website and got 40% off that too. In fact there were two photographers as he brought a second shooter with him at no extra cost to us. Don’t know where you are based but highly recommend Will from Love Heart Photography in Worthing. He was fab!
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

One note on creating your own albums is that the quality can vary, especially the difference between the cheaper digital printing and the photographic paper version. You may not notice until you hold them side by side but the photographic paper version will have more natural colours and more detail in the black and the highlight areas.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It really depends on what you want. We had a half-day package that covered ceremony and informal/group shots afterwards, and paid £450 (South Wales, so a cheap area). The same photographers do a whole day coverage with two photographers plus an engagement shoot beforehand for around £1,200. But we got married mid-week. Most photographers will only do half-days for midweek weddings or out-of-season ones.

• L
    Savvy September 2022 Tyne & Wear
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    My photographer is the most expensive thing on the day! £1,700. £500 for photos £400 for video and £200 for drone. Then there’s £500 for an album after!! And this is only for a day Weddibg - no evening reception

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics