Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner March 2012

Wedding Pianist

Lusille, 24 January, 2012 at 17:25 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi, I'm thinking of having a pianist for my ceremony and drinks reception but the venue doesn't have a grand piano, the pianists I've looked at advertise having digital keyboard but I'm not sure that's really a good look, it's a beautiful country house and I can't afford to hire a grand piano, so I was wondering if anyone else thinks it's important to have the 'look' or am I being too fussy and it doesn't really matter as long it sounds right! I'd really appreciate some honest feeback =) xx

5 replies

Latest activity by HatTrick, 25 January, 2012 at 15:12
  • pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I wanted 'the look' too for during our wedding breakfast, I found a great guy with a white baby grand but he cost nearly 3k for about 2 hours! So we have gone for a guy who brings his own digital keyboard for the bargain price of £180 for a couple of hours. So I would stay stick within your budget. I am just focussing on the fact that our guests will probably be too busy eating, drinking and chatting to bother about looking at the keyboard, they will hopefully just enjoy the music. What does your OH think?

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

My pianist has his own piano and it isn't a grand piano but he is great.

My venue has a Grand piano in the Great hall and he will play for guest arrival but he will use his own in the ceremony room, he is charging 200 pounds for 1 hour. I really don't think it matters so long as the music sounds good.

• L
    Beginner March 2012
    Lusille ·
    • Hide content

£3000??? Good God! Thanks for the reply, I think I'll definitely have to stick to the budget - my OH would agree haha! Annoying though, cos I know it would be lovely with a Grand, I'll have to try and wipe that picture from my mind ☹️

• M
    Dedicated February 2022
    martinkab@hotmail.com ·
    • Hide content

I've got a chap called Simon Jordan who's playing for me for £180. He's playing the violin for my ceremony, and then the piano for my reception drinks, and I get to choose the music. Nice courteous chap - he auditioned for me over Skype.

• Sweetpeaposy
    Beginner
    Sweetpeaposy ·
    • Hide content

A little bit of advice here from an OM if you are going to have a pianist for your ceremony....

We too had one for our wedding, and thankfully the ceremony room had a grand piano in there so no setting up was required. The pianist instead of arriving an hour before the ceremony to sort himself out and then start playing 30 mins before the ceremony as agreed, arrived in fact appeared 5 minutes before the ceremony started. Yes that's right 5 minutes!!! I was of course totally oblivious to this but my poor husband was getting very worried that I would have no music to walk down the aisle to...

So I would strongly suggest that you have some music on CD as a back up just in case. Whilst it was all ok in the end it does annoy me that there was no music before the ceremony as I think it is a great way of creating a good atmosphere.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

We had a pianist. Luckily there was a grand piano in the lobby of our hotel which he played during the drinks reception but during the wedding breakfast he played his digital piano in the corner of the room.

You are never going to get someone to bring their own grand piano to your venue for cheap, it would cost a fortune to transport it. If you really want a pianist, just go with the digital.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics