Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2014

Wedding Reception Venues London

meliie, 4 of December of 2013 at 17:38 Posted on Planning 0 13

I really need some help, I got engaged a few weeks ago and we are now trying to find a venue to have our wedding reception at, we will hopefully be getting married in a church and the need a reception venue to cater for about 100 people and then an additional 60 in the evening. We would like a venue where we can bring in our own caterers. We don't have that big a budget and are looking at about £2000 for the hire of the venue. We live in South London and would love an alternative, quirky venue for the reception. If we can't find somewhere in London we are open to places in Surrey. I would love to a reception in a barn or something or somewhere we could put a marquee up. Please any ideas would help, I'm going stir crazy looking for ideas!!!

13 replies

Latest activity by Mispinkprincess, 18 of December of 2013 at 06:32
  • mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Hey, I'm not gonna lie, you'll be hard pushed to find a barn for 2k, a lot of them are more like around 5k. For your own caterers in it might be worth considering local halls. A lot of the London weddings I shoot that are quirky are more like interesting pubs, that's kind of the done London thing nowadays gastropubs. Alternatively people are getting married in museums, tends to be inhouse catering again though so might not be what you're looking for.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly this.

I think you may find it hard to get a barn or something like that on your budget.

If I were you I'd definitely look in to hireling a hall & then decorating it in whatever quirky way you want.

• lil_2014
    Beginner July 2014
    lil_2014 ·
    • Hide content

You can start here https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-venues/ if you haven't done so already Smiley smile

I think you might be able to find something due your wedding being under 100 guests, but you will have to search high and low. Another option is if you have friends/family with a biggish garden to do the reception in a marquee there. I've been to one they had a tipi and was lovely!

Good luck!

x

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    meliie ·
    • Hide content

Thank you, I know it's a very tight budget think we might be able to stretch to £3k for reception venue if the parents help out. I'll have a look at pubs though that could be a good idea and we have been looking around at some halls too. Thanks

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

The best way to save serious amounts of money is to get married midweek. This isn't always convenient although can gain discounts up up to 50% from some venues.......To maximise what you want, do consider this option.....and give your guest as much notice as possible so that they can sort time off work........many do this very successfully....

hth

Peter

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

Hello! - right... Positive hat on here.... I am sure that it can be done... Perhaps not a barn - but still something beautiful.... What about a slightly different venue ... Try approaching local cricket clubs - I remember finding one in Croydon that had a hall which could be decorated to your taste, and grounds for an optional marquee. It was reasonably priced and not advertised as a wedding venue - plus we could use our own caterers!

• Laura DeBourde
    Laura DeBourde ·
    • Hide content

Have you checked out Tudor Barn in Eltham? This barn is just down the road from me, it's gorgeous! South London too..

http://www.tudorbarneltham.com

I'm not too sure on prices to be honest as their prices are not on their website, but it's lovely inside. Probably enough room to cater for the amount of guests you want too, and land outside big enough for a medium size marquee probably.

This is a "quirky" venue in Surrey... I posted this on a thread the other day for a bride looking for something a bit different... not sure on outside space, but looks lovely and quite rustic inside! Big enough for up to 150 guests I think.

http://petershamnurseries.com

http://www.mrandmrsunique.co.uk/venues/petersham-nurseries.aspx (you can see more photographs on this link)

Hope that helps!

• dearbarbie
    Beginner July 2015
    dearbarbie ·
    • Hide content

Jealous you are looking at London. Surrey is where I'm looking and 2k is just not happening.

In London there are some quirky venues like Battersea Arts Centre, and loads more East like factories, warehouses, Wapping Power Station etc...

• emabee
    Beginner August 2014
    emabee ·
    • Hide content

Hi have you tried the Rosendale pub in Dulwich? x

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

I met with a couple today who mentioned that their friends tied the knot abroad with a select few family members then came home and had a big party instead.

When I look at our wedding budget as it currently stands I'm thinking we should of done the same!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    meliie ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I did have a look at The Rosendale Pub in Dulwich but they do not allow external catering. Battersea Arts centre is nice but does not have much availability. The search continues. I went to visit a barn in Dorking the other day- Taylors retreat farm which was nice and was reasonably priced.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    meliie ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I did have a look at The Rosendale Pub in Dulwich but they do not allow external catering. Battersea Arts centre is nice but does not have much availability. The search continues. I went to visit a barn in Dorking the other day- Taylors retreat farm which was nice and was reasonably priced.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Hope that works out for you......

?

Peter

• Mispinkprincess
    Beginner September 2014
    Mispinkprincess ·
    • Hide content

We're in NW London so can't help too much but I've found a gorgeous backstreet gastro pub, it's a bit of a hidden gem and we're not being charged for hire of their garden room! Always worth a look!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics