Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner May 2016

Wedding Registry/Gift List

ExpensivePinkCars201, 3 of November of 2015 at 09:19 Posted on Planning 0 11

We're looking at sending out our invites this month ? and wanted to put details of our wedding gift registry inside, which means it's time to actually choose a registry! We were actually considering having a John Lewis one but we'd like to do some bits in the house next year (new bathroom being one of them!) and wanted to ask for some Wickes vouchers but

a) we won't be able to add them to our John Lewis list.

b) if everyone very kindly gives us vouchers it will be way too much so we want to be able to set a limit on the amount on the list.

I was wondering if anyone had experience or are considering "Marriage Gift List"? You set up the list and guests can purchase from any online retailer or even in shops as the guests can select what they have purchased from the list to avoid duplication and make Thank You cards easier to write. My problem with it is that any items purchased are direct from the retailer so guests will get charged postage and will have to wrap and transport any gifts themselves (everyone is travelling a long way) or we'll be getting a lot of deliveries to our house which can go missing if we're not there. I quite like that with a John Lewis registry you can set a date for after you return from your honeymoon and have that lovely surprise at the end of everything.

Would it even be better to have two registries? The John Lewis one for gifts and the Marriage Gift List for Wickes vouchers and maybe the odd item or two that we can't find in John Lewis.

So much to think about, my nan has asked for an advanced copy of the list so she can pick what to buy first...?

11 replies

Latest activity by Jayne E, 3 of November of 2015 at 22:38
  • T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

We are confused about the lists too, do you say in the invites or is that weird, or do you send something out later?

My OH found an amazon wedding list, so we're doing that, and there's a little description as well, we are going to say in there, that we'd also like B&Q/Dunelm/Ikea vouchers as well - for us it's replacing carpet with laminate flooring, so need new rugs too.

I am really confused by how to approach it, so I'm hoping you get some decent answers Smiley tongue

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

We're going to send details of where we're registered with the invitations but guests won't be able to access it until 6-8 weeks before the wedding so we don't have to actually choose exact items just yet.

We want to get it out with the invites to save on another round of postage!

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    misslynx ·
    • Hide content

We used Amazon - you can link to other supplier websites too.

Also - worth noting this! There is a promotion currently where if your guests spend more than £250 on your wedding list you are credited with an additional £50 balance!

We are putting ours towards an actifry :-)

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

Misslynx, can you link to any other external websites or is it just Amazon Marketplace sellers (not technically Amazon but sell on their website).

It still leaves the problem of potential delivery charges and multiple deliveries to the house... Don't really want presents being delivered to a "safe place" whilst we're on honeymoon, it would stress me out.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

I always though mentioning gift list in invites was a huge no-no as it indicates all guest are expected to buy a gift

we will add a link to a wedding website where people can open different pages for different things like:

RSVP & menu choice

Q&A

gift list

local information

photo gallary

and such...

I think the create your own list gives the most options, but we haven't picked one yet

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

We certainly don't expect people to buy gifts and will say something to that effect in the invitation. I have been to several weddings recently and each one has either had details of a gift registry or note about gift vouchers or money as gift. I would think it makes sense as the invitation is also a kind of information pack with details of where to stay, local taxi companies and RSVP cards.

My other half isn't keen on a wedding website and a lot of my guests wouldn't be able to access it anyway... Prime example being my 92 year old nan so I don't find it a very inclusive way of conveying information.

I've never heard of sending out a gift list with the invitation being a huge no-no, in fact it is given as an acceptable method of giving these and other such details in Debretts (UK etiquette guru for literally everything).

http://www.debretts.com/weddings/engagements-and-invitations/wedding-gift-lists/informing-guests-gift-list

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's the same reason why we are using them Smiley smile Also plan on adding a few christmas presents onto the list, then the OH will use his account to buy them, as no one knows of it yet, and we get married in May. As a safeguard incase we can't come up with £250.

We are getting them delivered to my mums house, even though we will be going on honeymoon a month after. Is this an option for you?

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

Tidal Wave, it looks like you are a date twin! ? Both of our parents live over two hours away so not ideal to have presents shipped to them unfortunately.

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

Ooo another date twin woo ☺ definitely a fantastic choice of date.

Ah yeah ok, maybe not doable, if they are purchased from online, is there a way of setting a delivery date so they come after you're back from honeymoon, or kept in the shop?

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Wouldn't they be delivered to the people who buy them so they can wrap them? Or am I having a dim moment?

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

With some registries they do, but we wanted to avoid it if possible as we're having a DIY wedding and village hall for the reception so would be concerned about safe storage (don't think I'll be in any state to try and move things to my hotel at that time!). ????

With John Lewis you can specify a date and everything gets delivered at once, so I think we'll go with them but I have also set up a registry with Marriage Gift List just for the Wickes vouchers in various denominations with a set number of each, I think I'll manage to bring our cards back to the hotel (just!).

It's a bit of a mine field, we don't expect gifts but know some people will want to buy something so we'd rather have something of our choosing as we already live together so don't need a lot of the more traditional gifts.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I must be getting old that's quite clever! Lol.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics