Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner April 2012

WEDDING REPORT: A tale of two weddings **flashtastic** - finished!

clarabella1972, 25 April, 2012 at 19:54 Posted on Planning 0 63

I should warn you in advance that I've been trying to find a nice block of time when I could do my report, but failed to do so. I figure I had better just start and hope for the best, but I may not manage it all in one go.

Where to begin?

How we met

About nine years ago, I used to act as a tester for my cousin who created online computer games. He had a particularly good one, which I tested for him and before long it went public. Simon was one of its first paying customers. Part of the game was forming alliances with other empires and staging large invasions. OK OK, very geeky and sad I know, but fun nonetheless. A few months in, I was going to Yorkshire on business and I suggested that I meet up with one of the players, Simon, who lived that-a-way. Imagine my surprise when the chap in question was decidedly tasty, rather than pasty! I left after the coffee determined to come back.

A few weeks later I was back on business, but this time we arranged to meet in York for drinks and dinner. Much fun was had (in every sense of the word) and I was on cloud nine. When I awoke the next morning in the Holiday Inn with Simon (Claire blushes) all was well, but over breakfast it became apparent that all was not well in my stomach department. We will fast forward through the next couple of hours which involved many loo trips and borrowing money for Immodium (oh the shame) to the point where I was doubled in pain while trying to keep a brave face on it.

Simon offered to drive me to the station but had to go and get petrol first. I threw up at the petrol station. That was when Simon did the single most heroic thing i have ever witnessed. He said "right that's it, I'm driving you home". He drove me 350 miles home with frequent stops on the M1 hard shoulder to throw up. I vowed that if I ever survived the trip and he stuck around, that I was keeping him. He stayed for five days to look after me while i recovered from what I later learnt to be food poisoning. After that he went home. He lasted 24 hours before coming back down South and has stayed ever since.

The proposal

A year after we met, we started our family. First was our daughter Nell and two years later followed her sister Imogen. They both took their Dad's name because he said "well we'll get married one day won't we?". Time passed, the girls got older and so did I. This may sound a bit rubbish, but I wanted to get married before I was 40. I didn't want to be one of those women you see in a smart suit and a hat at a register office. I wanted the dress, the occasion and most of all I wanted my dad to be there and he wasn't getting any younger.

It was our anniversary (of the infamous York date) last September and we went out for a lovely meal. As we were eating our starter, Simon said "When's half term?". "End of October" says I "Why do you ask?". "Well if we're going to get you married before you're forty, we'd better get cracking. That might be a good time to talk about it". Romantic? No, not in the traditional sense of the word, but Simon is a man of few words and I am very good at reading between the lines after all these years. I giggled like an idiot for the rest of the night.

63 replies

Latest activity by clarabella1972, 30 April, 2012 at 11:38
  • xtlcx
    Beginner May 2012
    xtlcx ·
    • Hide content

Awww this is soo sweet what a lovely bloke you've got

Can't wait to read the rest xx

• ScillyB2B
    Beginner June 2012
    ScillyB2B ·
    • Hide content

Yep! he was definately a keeper!!

My sister had a similar experience on her first date with her husband, its certainly one way to cut to the being comfy with each other stage!

I'm looking forward to the rest of this....

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!

Keep it coming! Smiley smile

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content

Wow - what a man! ?

Loving the first bit, more please ?

• lianne22
    Beginner September 2012
    lianne22 ·
    • Hide content

What a great start to a report!! I cant wait for the rest.

• vebec19862
    Beginner June 2012
    vebec19862 ·
    • Hide content

Erm...dont stop there... I NEED more! love that he was such a gentleman very romantic! x

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Looking forward to further instalments ?

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Keep it coming, he sounds lovely!

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    clarabella1972 ·
    • Hide content

The planning

So, when confronted with the concept of weather in February (I turned 40 on March 1st) I decided that I wouldn't take my ambitions too literally and go for April - at least that meant I stood half a chance of decent weather. With planning starting at the end of October, that left 5 months to plan my wedding. I've never thought of myself as someone who could or would plan a wedding two years or so in advance, so this suited me fine.

Now the tricky part about the planning is that Simon hates weddings. He's hated every wedding he's ever been to. His idea of a good wedding is to sneak off and get married with 20 people there and I would have been happy with something 5 times the size. He told me that he wasn't ever likely to enjoy the day, so I might as well just do what I want. Niiiice...

I always imagined that my groom would be as into the whole idea as me and that he would look at me misty eyed as we exchanged vows and we would forever remember it as the best day of our life. Time for an adjustment in perspective. It took me a while, but I realised that for a man who dislikes weddings, thinks they're just a piece of paper and hates being the centre of attention to go through with a wedding for me, must love me a lot! It would be a demonstration of love, but not in the way they describe it in the books. My ambition therefore was to try and plan a wedding that he would enjoy, despite his preconceptions.

So what does my man like? He likes real ale, live bands and friends. He hates stuffiness, wedding speeches and being the centre of everything.

So I planned a smaller ceremony, with more friend joining us shortly after. No speeches, a hog roast, an open bar and a band to dance the night away. We also wanted to make it child-friendly. We have two children and our friends have plenty between them. For it to be a family day, we needed to ensure the kids had fun too.

A little about the venue

After researching many licensed venues, costs and availability, I realised that I wanted to organise the catering myself. The trouble was, I couldn't find somewhere suitable. Everyone wanted to make money out of wedding packages and bars and that pushed the costs up. So I turned the problem on its head and emailed some local caterers and asked them if they knew anywhere. I got a reply that suggested a converted barn. Unfortunately the barn wasn't licensed for weddings, but the owner pointed out that we could always get married at a register office and then have a wedding using a celebrant at the barn.

I dismissed the idea out of hand.

The more I thought about it though, the more I liked the idea. The barn was perfect in every other way and so long as I downplayed the register office ceremony, then it wouldn't take away from the main ceremony at the barn. And so it was decided: a celebrant was booked and a brief ceremony was booked at the local register office. There would be no exchange of rings, no readings, no "til death do us part". We would declare the statutory minimum - we state we are legally permitted to marry and then simply say "I take Simon to be my lawful husband", and vice versa, and that would be that. Then a couple of days later we would have the "real" wedding at the barn a couple of days later on Easter Saturday.

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content

Awww sounds like you are both perfect for each other!! The buildup to the actual day in this report is too much to handle ? more, more!

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    clarabella1972 ·
    • Hide content

April 5th 2012 - Wedding number 1

This was the day of my register office ceremony. Simon and I work together and we went to work as usual that day, with our outfits in our bags. Now, you probably think we're bonkers, but I really didn't want to make the ceremony a big deal because I was paranoid about taking away from the barn wedding. We're also part of a small business (that I co-own) and most of us have worked together for years and years. The ceremony was booked for noon and at 11 I was on a conference call with a client. At 11.15, I said I had to cut things short as I needed to go and get married. I enjoyed dropping that particular bombshell ?

I disappeared into the loo and, with the help of my business partner's wife (and witness), Jane, I got dressed. I had bought some brilliant shoes and a fab 50s style dress as my birthday treat and thought that today was the perfect day to give them an outing. As a complete surprise, Jane had bought me a small bouquet saying, "I can't have you getting married without flowers. It's just not right".

Simon and I walked up the road with Jane and our other witness to the register office. We got more than a few glances from the passers by!

When we got there, we were introduced to our registrar. It was Clair Williams - the same registrar that married Charles and Camilla. Cool! She said that as it was such a short and simple ceremony there wasn't much to talk about. Our two witnesses went and waited in the ceremony room and Simon and I walked in together.

Now clearly, she couldn't get to grips with the idea of such a simple, no frills ceremony, because she proceeded to give a long talk on the beauty of marriage. Unfortunately I made the mistake of listening to her.

We were asked to stand up and, in turn, we declared there was no reason why we shouldn't be married. Now it was time for the legal vow.

Simon went first. He started talking. Everything went still. I suddenly realised that my gorgeous boy was actually promising to be my husband and I was overcome.

I sobbed like a baby. I remember Simon looking at me and saying "are you alright?" with a look of bemusement in his eyes. Time for a humorous quip to make light of my sentimentality, I thought. "It's just that I've waited so long for this moment" I said, ironically. Or at least everyone would have realised it was ironic had I not been weeping and sobbing at the same time. Sigh...

I gave up on humour and said my vows and we were declared husband and wife. Cue more tears...

After a few pics by the municipal flowerbeds, we made our way to our local pub, where we were joined by our co-workers for champagne and burgers. After a couple of hours we went home and our children were dropped off by a friend who had picked them up from school. We hadn't told them about the register office so they didn't get confused. So that night was like any other in our house, the girls were put to bed and we watched a bit of telly and followed shortly thereafter.

Time for a couple of flashes then:

Simon and I in the pub afterwards

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

What a gorgeous couple you are!

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

You look beautiful - I absolutely love your dress. More please - best report!!!

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content

Awww wedding 1 sounds amazing anyway, looking forward to wedding 2's report!! I love the thought of you and your new hubby knowing and having a giggle about it, with the kids not knowing ?

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    clarabella1972 ·
    • Hide content

Friday April 6th - the in-between day

So today's job is to ignore the fact that we're legally married, get the barn decorated for the wedding tomorrow and to check into the hotel where we're going to spend the night.

I leave the kids in Simon's hands and get to the barn for 8am to start setting up. The weather is gorgeous, but it was freezing cold in the marquee attached to the barn.

After a prompt from the venue owner, I realised that my guests might freeze the next day if I wasn't careful. The florist had a cousin who worked for HSS and we were quoted £180 for a heater. The last thing we needed cost-wise, but the cold was the kind of thing that would make or break someone's happy day.

I thought it would take a couple of hours to set up, as I was all prepared with my bunting, chair bows and other decorations, but suffice to say it took 5 hours! Let this be a lesson to you...

By this time, Simon had turned up with the girls to help out and we had a quick rehearsal for the girls' benefit as they had an important petal scattering job to do the next day.

A quick dash home to stuff various things in a bag and we pegged it to the hotel.

Simon, the girls and I checked into our (bridal) suite and got ready for dinner. We organised a big table in the restaurant where about 25 of us convened for dinner. We had a nice dinner and it was the first time that Simon's family from up north had met my family.

As luck would have it, there was a big Asian wedding that same night and so we got a great Fireworks display over dinner. Bargain!

We went to bed about 10, looking forward to the day to come...

• K
    Beginner April 2013
    Kadypants ·
    • Hide content

Aww it sounds lovely. I'm actually really excited to read the rest!

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh the tension is killing me, you tease ?

• kookik
    Beginner September 2012
    kookik ·
    • Hide content

More more more!!!!

• Mrs-HFA
    Beginner December 2012
    Mrs-HFA ·
    • Hide content

I'm loving this!!

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

Love this report, more please and congratulations, haven't been on for a while and missed your good luck thread x

• honeysparkle
    Beginner June 2012
    honeysparkle ·
    • Hide content

NOOOO! I thought I'd left it long enough to be finished! loving it so far! ?

• xtlcx
    Beginner May 2012
    xtlcx ·
    • Hide content

Fab report I love your shoes, can't wait to read the rest x

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

FAB! Your dress is fab, and you hair looks lovely too ?

Congratulations

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

What a lovely report! So well written. He definitely sounds like a keeper! Bring on the rest.

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    clarabella1972 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry girls, but I have to go to a meeting in Wales in a minute and so won't have time to do the next installment until tonight! Thanks for bearing with me - I'm enjoying telling you all about my day ?

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Awww ! got all excited when I'd seen you had posted again

do hurry back !

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh nooooo! Well I suppose if you must.

• Flumpkin
    Beginner December 2012
    Flumpkin ·
    • Hide content

What a fab report and lovely photos so far - will have to log on tonight now!!!

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    clarabella1972 ·
    • Hide content

April 7th - Easter Saturday - Wedding No. 2

5.30am

I can't remember why I woke up this early, but wake I did. As you can imagine, the adrenaline started to kick in and I was convinced I would never get back to sleep. Simon woke up shortly thereafter and moved in for a cuddle, with certain ideas in mind. I obviously pointed out that it was bad enough luck that we slept in the same bed the night before the wedding, let alone to do what he had in mind! On reflection though we were technically married already, and it might help me sleep...

6am

zzzzzz

7am

My two girls wake up and we quickly get ready and go down to breakfast. Nobody else who was staying in the hotel were up yet and so it was nice to sit and have a nice breakfast. We were joined in the restaurant by the Biarritz rugby team in full strip. Someone up above was clearly looking down on me that day. ?

After breakfast, Simon went back to our room for a shower and I took the girls for a quick swim. It was surprisingly nice to take some time out to do something completely unweddingy before the mayhem commenced. Of course we lost track of time and before I knew it, we were already late and it was only 9.30! A quick dash to the room to wash all our hair, kicked Simon out of the room to go to his parents' room before the hairdresser and makeup lady arrived at 10am.

10am to 2pm - otherwise known as "anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

Now, in my head, I had always imagined that getting ready on the morning of my wedding would be a lovely landmark moment, shared with my parents and my daughters. Actually, largely, that was true, but it certainly did not go smoothly.

As I mentioned, the hairdresser and make-up artist turned up at 10, followed almost immediately by our photographer Paul. I will do credits at the end, but they were brilliant. Paul snapped away unobtrusively while I had my make-up done and while my girls had their hair done.

Nell really enjoyed having her hair done and being made to look like a princess. Imogen however was not so keen...

At least it resulted in the picture above, which is one of my favourites! Imogen had her hair finished and then the hairdresser moved on to me. We all looked great (even if I do say so myself) and the hairdresser and make-up artist took their leave. Gradually the whinge level increased. Imogen didn't like curly hair. Imogen wanted straight hair. "Mummy" said Nell "Imogen has pulled all the clips out!". Imogen had taken out her headband and unclipped everything. My heart dropped. Suddenly Nell started crying. "Mummy, I forgot! I was lying on the bed and all my hair has gone wrong!". I looked in the mirror and noticed the curl had dropped out of a chunk of mine. My eyes went misty. Deep breaths. Deeeeep breaths. I suddenly remembered that the hairdresser might still be in the building and she dashed back. As it happens though, while she fixed me, the girls were having none of it. In the end then, their hair clipping was done by me. Imogen never did consent to the headband though...

Then there was the bit where my step-mum told me that Imogen had got easter egg fingers on my dress. More deep breaths.

Oh and the bit where I ordered room service for 12.30 at the latest so we could be dressed by 1, but which didn't turn up until 12.50. Deep breaths weren't working at this point, so I substituted prosecco...

Finally though, we were all ready, the car had phoned to say they were waiting outside so we put the finishing touches to our wardrobes. We were on the home stretch...

I walked to the window to look outside and watched in utter disbelief as I saw my car pull away with someone else in it.

After a somewhat "firm" phone call to the car people, the car returned 15 minutes later to take us the 5 minutes to the barn and the wedding. The morning was behind me, and you'll be pleased to hear that it all improved dramatically after that!

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    clarabella1972 ·
    • Hide content

Meanwhile in another room...

Simon spent the morning with his sister and his parents in their room getting ready.

Before leaving with his best man to go to the barn:

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

Great report so far! Loving the photo of Imogen, bless her ?

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    clarabella1972 ·
    • Hide content

The ceremony - 2pm (ish)

It turns out that the debacle with the car was a blessing in disguise. Apparently a good proportion of the guests got lost finding the barn and only got there moments before I did.

One point I forgot to mention earlier was that Nell had a bit of a panic about being a flower girl before we left the hotel. This was one of the unplanned bits that didn't bother me in the slightest. I wanted it to be a day she loved, not one that scared her. I suggested that she go and take her seat at the front with my step-mother and they walked in to be seated.

Meanwhile, it was Simon's turn to takes a deep breath:

Once everyone was in place, the processional music started:

http://youtu.be/JMlWRmevMqg (ignore the animation that goes with it please ? )

Imogen walked down the aisle scattering petals as she went. She put on a brilliant solo performance;

My father and I walked up next:

Did he look back? Of course he did! I was on cloud nine walking down the aisle and took my time to see the faces of my friends and families as I walked down the aisle.

Finally I was with Simon at the front.

Now you may remember that Simon is a man of few words and from Yorkshire. And what does a man of few words say to his bride when she arrives by his side?

"Holy Moly!"

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics