Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner April 2012

WEDDING REPORT: A tale of two weddings **flashtastic** - finished!

clarabella1972, 25 April, 2012 at 19:54

Posted on Planning 63

I should warn you in advance that I've been trying to find a nice block of time when I could do my report, but failed to do so. I figure I had better just start and hope for the best, but I may not manage it all in one go. Where to begin? How we met About nine years ago, I used to act as a tester...

I should warn you in advance that I've been trying to find a nice block of time when I could do my report, but failed to do so. I figure I had better just start and hope for the best, but I may not manage it all in one go.

Where to begin?

How we met

About nine years ago, I used to act as a tester for my cousin who created online computer games. He had a particularly good one, which I tested for him and before long it went public. Simon was one of its first paying customers. Part of the game was forming alliances with other empires and staging large invasions. OK OK, very geeky and sad I know, but fun nonetheless. A few months in, I was going to Yorkshire on business and I suggested that I meet up with one of the players, Simon, who lived that-a-way. Imagine my surprise when the chap in question was decidedly tasty, rather than pasty! I left after the coffee determined to come back.

A few weeks later I was back on business, but this time we arranged to meet in York for drinks and dinner. Much fun was had (in every sense of the word) and I was on cloud nine. When I awoke the next morning in the Holiday Inn with Simon (Claire blushes) all was well, but over breakfast it became apparent that all was not well in my stomach department. We will fast forward through the next couple of hours which involved many loo trips and borrowing money for Immodium (oh the shame) to the point where I was doubled in pain while trying to keep a brave face on it.

Simon offered to drive me to the station but had to go and get petrol first. I threw up at the petrol station. That was when Simon did the single most heroic thing i have ever witnessed. He said "right that's it, I'm driving you home". He drove me 350 miles home with frequent stops on the M1 hard shoulder to throw up. I vowed that if I ever survived the trip and he stuck around, that I was keeping him. He stayed for five days to look after me while i recovered from what I later learnt to be food poisoning. After that he went home. He lasted 24 hours before coming back down South and has stayed ever since.

The proposal

A year after we met, we started our family. First was our daughter Nell and two years later followed her sister Imogen. They both took their Dad's name because he said "well we'll get married one day won't we?". Time passed, the girls got older and so did I. This may sound a bit rubbish, but I wanted to get married before I was 40. I didn't want to be one of those women you see in a smart suit and a hat at a register office. I wanted the dress, the occasion and most of all I wanted my dad to be there and he wasn't getting any younger.

It was our anniversary (of the infamous York date) last September and we went out for a lovely meal. As we were eating our starter, Simon said "When's half term?". "End of October" says I "Why do you ask?". "Well if we're going to get you married before you're forty, we'd better get cracking. That might be a good time to talk about it". Romantic? No, not in the traditional sense of the word, but Simon is a man of few words and I am very good at reading between the lines after all these years. I giggled like an idiot for the rest of the night.

63 replies

• P
    Beginner September 2012
    PhoenixAngelic ·
    • Hide content

I am LOVING this report, though finding the gaps between instalments completely tortuous! lol

I keep calling my H2B back into the room so I can read him the next chapter and for once, he's taking note! lol

Keep going - puleeease!

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    clarabella1972 ·
    • Hide content

The ceremony was lovely.

The celebrant started by telling everyone how we met (my cousins who created the computer game, whooped at this point) and then my brother did the reading.

https://www.itakeyou.co.uk/wedding-ideas/wedding-readings-poems/captain-corelli's-mandolin.htm

After that, my step-mother and my future mother in law, were asked to step-forward and light a candle for each respective family.

Simon and I then moved on to the "vows bit". We were asked to face each other and exchanged the traditional vows with each other.

We were then asked to step forward, with our children, to each take a taper and a flame from our individual family candles and light the candle in the middle, which represents our new family.

The girls seemed happier to stay up front and centre with Simon and I and so we went with it.

So when the celebrant pronounced us husband and wife, we leant across our girls in a big group hug and kissed each other.

Finally, we were completely and utterly married. Nell got a new burst of confidence and set off down the aisle, sprinkling her petals.

Here is our recessional tune:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJE-onnw2gM

More tomorrow...

• ScillyB2B
    Beginner June 2012
    ScillyB2B ·
    • Hide content

Totally and utterly wonderful. I'm so happy for you all!!

• Dana_leigh
    Beginner August 2013
    Dana_leigh ·
    • Hide content

Aww what a lovely report! Congrats on your two weddings!

I made it all the way until I read your reading before I burst into tears! I might have to steal that one, although if it has that affect on me......

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content

? OMG! What an amazing day you had! I love the thought of you having a casual swim with your girls in the morning ?

& the last pic of you and hubby with the girls as you kissed is beautiful (and came up bigger when I hit reply so I got to look at it in all its glory) ?

So lovely that you had a perfect day (albeit with some small hitches)!!

• T
    Beginner July 2012
    Thursday Bride ·
    • Hide content

What a lovely report - such a fantastic couple of days you had ?

• looneysh
    Beginner May 2012
    looneysh ·
    • Hide content

Fabulous Report, loving it!!

• O
    Beginner May 2013
    Omgitshappening ·
    • Hide content

Loving reading this! You looked stunning and have a gorgeous family x

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

More, more! I love Simon's suit.

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

Fantastic report Smiley smile You look like you have a very happy family

Loved your first dress.

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    clarabella1972 ·
    • Hide content

After the ceremony

Once the ceremony was over, the 50 guests that had been invited to that bit had sparkling wine and canapes. I got huuuuge hugs from my new mother in law and grandmother in law, both of whom seemed very happy to welcome a new Mrs H into the fold.

After a quick drink and nibbles, we popped outside for some quick "Mantlepiece shots".

At 3.30pm our other guests arrived and started to make inroads into the casks of real ale and bottles of wine.

The children (of which there were many) were kept amused with an easter egg hunt in an adjoining paddock and a game of photo "I spy".

At 5, the hog roast was served up. There was no seating plan - just two long tables that people sat at as and when they felt like it. It seemed to work well and it certainly mixed up the groups and got everyone talking to each other.

[next and final installment - the evening do, the cake, the first dance and thank yous]

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    clarabella1972 ·
    • Hide content

The evening

Once the hog roast was finished and we had all tucked in to two giant bowls of Eton mess and profiteroles, it was time for the cake cutting and first dance. We wanted to get the formalities out of the way early on, so everyone could relax and have fun.

The cake was actually a stack of cheeses, which we served up later as the evening munchies with port, cold meats, homemade chutneys, ciabattas and pickles. It was a real talking point in the wedding and, more importantly, people were queued up to have some - it was delicious!

The band had arrived during the hog roast and had set up. So after the cake cutting, Simon and I took to the floor for our first dance / shuffle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlShC-GxFNw&feature=related

The rest of the evening was spent dancing, drinking and laughing with my friends. The band was amazing and even when there were only about 10 of us left at the end, we still danced and danced to the final song. Magical.

We were back in our hotel by midnight, putting our sleepy children to bed in their grandparents' room (they had been sleeping on some sofas for the last bit of the night, under the watchful eye of the babysitter we hired). We said our goodnights and then snuck into the hotel bar.

There we sat, with our feet on the table supping some wine in a darkened corner of the quiet bar, talking over the day, until we were almost asleep.

"Come on, Mrs H, it's time for bed".

The End

Credits:

My suppliers were amazing and I would happily recommend them. In no particular order then:

Photography by Paul Rogers (www.rogerspictures.com) - a photojournalist from The Times newspaper. He was great with the kids, took amazing pictures and was also happy to help out where he could

Band - Partydown (http://www.partydown.co.uk) - their demo CD does them no justice. They were simply amazing. Everyone loved them and they were so helpful in the lead up to the event giving me advice on timings etc. They are also happy to learn your first dance number for you if it's not in their repetoire.

Venue - Monkton Barn Galleries (http://www.monktonbarngalleries.co.uk/) - based in Marlow Bottom, this converted modern barn is a blank canvas. Peter, the owner, couldn't do enough to help

Flowers by Joanne Caldwell (http://joannecaldwell.co.uk/) - I just left her to it really, but she took a lot of time understanding what sort of thing I was after.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Fantastic report, wonderfully written. Congratulations!

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content

I love this report...the final line is beautiful. Huge congratulations.x

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations Mrs. H! ? I've been enjoying reading this over the last couple of days!!!

• O
    Beginner August 2012
    o'malley ·
    • Hide content

Absolutley beautiful, sounds like you had a fantastic relaxed fun day, exactly what i wish for my own day, the final line of your report just pushed me over to a blubering mess!

• charlottelucy
    Beginner August 2012
    charlottelucy ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful report and photos, congratulations xx

• K
    Beginner June 2012
    kfair ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations its a lovely report. you and your girls are gorgeous. ?

• honeysparkle
    Beginner June 2012
    honeysparkle ·
    • Hide content

Just beautiful. Congratulations x

• Banana88
    Beginner May 2012
    Banana88 ·
    • Hide content

I ❤️ this report!

It's the first in a long time that i've read all way through, I couldn't stop. It sounds (and looks) like you have an amazing two days. Your hubby is defo a keeper.

Congratulations.

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

Really enjoyed reading your beautifully written report. Fab fotos and your girls are gorgeous! Congratulations to you all xx

• *BigBird*
    Beginner April 2013
    *BigBird* ·
    • Hide content

Brilliant report. Congratulations to you both.

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content

One of my favourite reports! you are a tease for keeping us hanging for so long, but it was beautiful, well written!

and your day looked stunning!

• K
    Beginner April 2013
    Kadypants ·
    • Hide content

What a wonderful report! It sounds like you all had a truly magical day! Congratulations again!

• D
    Beginner May 2012
    dlees81 ·
    • Hide content

That last line got me as well! And I'm generally a cold objective miss. Brill brill brill report, sounds like you ended up with a lot more going on than we'll have (also got an 'anti-wedding' OH, and on a budget) but the emotions are definitely those we'll (well I'll) hope to replicate. Lucky my cold has my tissues close to hand. Thank you so much!

• P
    Beginner September 2012
    PhoenixAngelic ·
    • Hide content

What a beautifully written report. I have loved every moment of it - even the long pauses!

And my lovely H2B has heard every word as I read it out to him and actually read this last instalment with me.

And he agrees. Your hubby is VERY much in love with you - it's written all over his face.

Congratulations to you both x

• xtlcx
    Beginner May 2012
    xtlcx ·
    • Hide content

What an amazing report. Looked like you had a fabulous day xx

• Mrs-HFA
    Beginner December 2012
    Mrs-HFA ·
    • Hide content

Wow, this was amazing. I almost felt like I was there with you!

You looked incredible and your photos are gorgeous.

I loved how the girls were with you both when you were pronounced husband and wife.

• C
    Beginner April 2014
    charlotteamy1984 ·
    • Hide content

This is the first wedding report I've read on here and your day/days sound just amazing! Photos were gorgeous. Congratulations!

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    clarabella1972 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone - all your comments have been really kind. I enjoyed writing it and it's so nice to be able to share the day with you all. One of my favourite things on this board are the wedding reports, so I was determined to try and do one to "pay it forward" as the Americans are fond of saying...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics