Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsG_to_be
Beginner July 2015

Wedding report of MrsG_to_be - the pregnant bride!

MrsG_to_be, 18 of July of 2015 at 23:26 Posted on Planning 0 21

We got married two weeks ago. Will try to keep it brief!

background

We have been together three and a half years. I was dating someone else when we met but when that relationship broke up he took two years to ask me out. We hit it off and said the I love you thing just over two weeks later and moved in together just seven months after our first date! he proposed exactly two years from our first date. It was a private romantic proposal at home with rose petals and candles scattered around the house and he got down on bended knee with a beautiful ring he'd designed and had made especially.

Planning

We booked the wedding venue just a week after getting engaged (February 2014) and I immediately became obsessed with pintrest and wedding blogs and forums! We booked Crockwell farm for a July 4th wedding and it took over half our budget what with the hire fee, accommodation for immediate family for two nights and catering but no other place would be good enough! It meant the rest of the wedding had to be done on a tight budget so I did a lot of ebay and DIY which was actually really fun.

We found out I was pregnant in November - due exactly a month after the wedding. We had to consider cancelling the wedding but it wasn't really an option as our insurance didn't cover it (read the small print guys) and we'd lose a lot of money already paid out. We discussed it with our family and everyone was of the opinion that we just go ahead and hope for the best (I had a medical condition meaning I was high risk for being premature). Being a PA most of my career I consider myself highly organised and didn't have much stress with all the planning apart from paying for everything that I wanted. Each month I'd do a selection of pre set out tasks using various spreadsheets and every penny saved and spent was recorded. We did go over budget in some places so had to make savings elsewhere but I must admit our £15k initial budget did hoik up to £17k during the planning stage when I got a bit carried away! Luckily both sets of parents were incredibly generous and didn't interfere with our decisions either!

Being pregnant meant selling the already purchased beloved dress and getting a maternity one. I also had extra pressure of budget being spent on buying baby items and making sure everything was finished a month before the big day so I wasn't getting stressed so close to my due date and risking early labour! I didn't have a hen party because I don't really like them and being pregnant meant I didn't want a fuss. I didn't get any help from anyone with planning until the week before and the day before when decorating etc. I am most proud of the handmade invites and all stationery like menus and table plan etc as I designed and created it all single handedly in my lunch breaks at work which cost next to nothing!

The build up

we had just 50 guests in total and 24 of them arrived on the Friday afternoon. A few were roped in to help decorate the venue then we all went to the local village pub up the road (Crockwell farm is in the middle of nowhere near a tiny little village called Eydon). It was nice to spend time with our immediate family before the chaos. I had an early night in the honeymoon cottage on the farm whilst my OH stayed at a cottage down the road with his boys.

I had breakfast with my family the morning of and because the ceremony wasn't until 2.30pm we had plenty of time to sit out on the lawn chatting and relaxing before I needed to start getting ready. I had my hair and make up done professionally and the photographer came for a few shots. Being 8 months pregnant I couldn't drink but did have a Buck's Fizz with my mum and sister. I was a bit nervous but mostly excited. My dad cried when he saw me and actually pretty much welled up several times on the day bless him!

I walked down the aisle in the beautiful barn to Laura Izibor "Mmmm" and it was all very emotional! We had two readings and the ceremony was lovely and personal. The registrar was amazing. We both fluffed our vows and teared up and it was nerve wracking being watched by everyone but otherwise truly wonderful!

We had an amazing 40s style jazz singer perform whilst canapés and drinks were enjoyed on the lawn before sitting down to a set menu. The food was amazing.

We were lucky to have had a friend lend us his new photo booth for free which was enjoyed by everyone. We had lawn games outside and guests were free to just mingle around and relax. We had an awkward first dance (both hate slow dancing and I was pretty huge), but the live band were excellent. I danced way more than I should for how big I was! Guests commented how nice it was to have a chilled vibe, nothing too formal. It was relaxed and laid back. We had bacon butties in the evening and guests departed by midnight. The immediate family who stayed on site had breakfast together the next morning.

Issues

My OH fell out with his best man a few months before so he decided not to attend. His girlfriend was my MOH so she didn't feel comfortable to attend without her partner and whilst we remain good friends, it was heartbreaking not to have her there.

My sister was my other BM but had given birth just a few weeks before so on the day was dealing with two infants and a serious lack of sleep so was pretty much no help to me. I don't blame her but I did feel a bit alone getting ready etc.

I ordered flowers online to be delivered by courier boxed up the day before but due to heat waves and thunderstorms and the travelling, some of them were a bit bashed up and unusable. Luckily we'd over ordered the gypsophila so that acted as a filler and I was going for the country garden fresh picked vibe anyway so I didn't mind.

my dad got my new FIL name wrong during his speech!! He's only met him once before the wedding but still! Bit embarrassing but they were polite enough not to bring it up so we all just pretended it didn't happen although now I'm not entirely sure if it was a slip of the tongue or if my dad genuinely thinks his name is Dave?!

other than those minor issues we both felt it was the perfect day! Being married is amazing and our guests said they had the best time. No one mentioned the lack of traditional aspects such as cake cutting or bouquet toss which we opted out of. We were totally spoilt and really appreciated the effort guests made to travel to the middle of nowhere to celebrate with us. We couldn't have asked for anything more and being pregnant didn't ruin a thing. Apart from waddling around and achy bones I really enjoyed myself and being sober meant I got to talk to everyone and remember everything vividly! I cant say the same for my husband who felt a bit delicate along with most other guests the next morning!

21 replies

Latest activity by NoMoore, 22 of July of 2015 at 11:47
  • HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

Fantastic report. I can't believe that you did so much yourself! The stationery looks very professional!

You look absolutely glowing in your flashes. Good luck for the new arrival.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    Maryhf414 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations Smiley laugh sorry to hear about your issues part but still sounds like you had a fantastic day. Your flowers are beautiful and you look fab too xx

• Mrs.K2b
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrs.K2b ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations, beautiful wedding and a gorgeous venue! You did so well to diy so much, and your invites are amazing!! Still no baby yet I presume?!

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

Great report. You looked stunning! Good luck with your labour x

• MrsG_to_be
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsG_to_be ·
    • Hide content

No baby yet so really glad we didn't cancel the wedding!

I should add that this hitched forum was a huge help with getting advice and opinions that were impartial (my family just said every idea was amazing)! Also glad I didn't spend a fortune on favours after spending weeks agonising over what to make and nearly going way over budget. In the end a handful of sweets in a box went down well and cost me £30!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Aww, how wonderful! Congratulations again, you looked fabulous and everything looked amazing! So glad you didn't cancel. Good luck for when baby arrives, give us a little flash when you can! :-)

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

Thankyou for sharing, what a wonderful day was. You look absolutely radiant. Congratulations, and good luck for when you become 3.

• J
    Beginner June 2016
    Jade8 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations and like someone else has said, you look absolutely glowing in your flashes! I'm sorry some of the day didn't go quite as planned but it looks as though you made the best of it and had the perfect day.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful the photograph of gentleman with you and your new husband with you holding your bump was just beautiful looked so happy

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

Im so glad you done this report. I just loved seeing you totally rock your wedding dress. It all looked amazing. ?

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations - you look amazing!

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

Ooh gorgeous. You look fantastic Mrs G!

you and bump definitely rocked that dress!

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

Goodness me- where do I begin?! I LOVED this report, I am overjoyed for you that you had such a beautiful day. You looked absolutely stunning, what a beautiful baby bump, and I hope you are enjoying the last few days of your pregnancy before s/he arrives. The stationery is incredible, I love the venue, well done for pulling off such a lovely looking day.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Aww! glad you had a nice day! it all looks lovely

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations, you looked so lovely and it looks like you had a brilliant day.

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

Wonderful report, thank you! A lovely read and your venue, flowers, DIY all look amazing. Can't believe you did all that on your own and while pregnant too! Good luck with the new arrival. X

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsWebberToBe ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report, glad you had a good day Smiley smile

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on what seems like a gorgeous day, you look radiant Smiley smile Lovely report!

• Lui
    Beginner October 2015
    Lui ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! Such a wonderful report!

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

Wonderful report! Your pictures are absolutely beautiful. Congratulations, and all the best to the 3 of you!

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

You look beautiful Smiley smile I love your dress, looks fab! Everything looks lovely... I hope everything goes well with baby and that you sort everything out with your friends. x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics