Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hayley
Rockstar September 2022 Norfolk

Wedding ring metal

Hayley, 30 of December of 2021 at 18:52 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 11
Hello all. Just wondering if anyone is going for a different metal for their wedding ring to their engagement ring? My engagement ring is an unusual shape and I have decided I will likely only wear it on special occasions once I am married, and likely on my right hand. It's white gold. I don't really want a white gold wedding ring as I don't think I would want to get it coated regularly. I'm considering platinum or a different colour gold.

11 replies

Latest activity by Sarah, 31 of July of 2023 at 22:48
  • Stephanie
    Beginner June 2024 Lothian & Borders
    Stephanie ·
    • Hide content
    I think I’ll be going for platinum wedding band, my engagement ring is also white gold!
    Purely because I’m a nurse and don’t want to keep having it coated which would be likely with the constant use of alcohol gel and washing my hands x
  • Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you. I am thinking the same. I work in social care. Although I'm not as hands on as I was as I'm management, it is still likely that I will need to do a lot of hand washing and hand gel use.
  • Jane
    Dedicated June 2022 Bristol
    Jane ·
    • Hide content
    From what I’ve heard, you shouldn’t mix metals for rings you’ll wear together (eg one might damage the other) but if you aren’t planning on ever wearing your engagement ring with your wedding band, then I think you can have whatever you want. In terms of how it looks, why not go try some on just to get a feel?
  • Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Jane. Yes, I've read that too. The one I really like is not in a shop around here so I don't think trying on is an option. You can hire it in silver to try but that obviously doesn't help with choosing the metal
  • Jane
    Dedicated June 2022 Bristol
    Jane ·
    • Hide content
    Can you try a different ring just to get an idea of how the metal looks? We’re having platinum rings because they will last without having to be coated etc. I’ll wear both of mine together but my engagement ring is platinum so it’s a relatively easy choice (well, the metal is but design/engraving less so!).
  • Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks. Yeah, I'm thinking platinum to last longer. Didn't even think of it when we were talking about ideas for an engagement ring
  • R
    Beginner August 2023 Monmouthshire
    Rhiannon ·
    • Hide content
    Hey, I used to work in jewellery and sell wedding rings. You are absolutely right you will have to have white gold rhodiumed every year or so, I've just sent mine off for the first time now. It's a pain, but it comes back like a new ring as you can't see any marks or scratches. Platinum is gorgeous, but as you can't coat it again, any scratches etc are really difficult to remove. A very difficult decision, with pros and cons on both sides. Hope this helps!
  • Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Rhainnon, good to have some insider info. Can I ask how much it costs to get it coated?
  • R
    Beginner August 2023 Monmouthshire
    Rhiannon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No problem. I paid around £30, and it took about 2 weeks. My fiance has bought me a silver back up ring to wear when it gets sent off haha!
  • Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah, I think I would be most sad about not having one to wear for a couple of weeks. Thanks.
  • Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 Warwickshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    I’d be very mindful with platinum as it’s a harsh metal unless wearing with other platinum jewellery so you’d have to definitely not wear it together.

Have you looked at jewellery shops that are a bit more bespoke? My engagement ring is an usual shape as the band arms are like a criss cross so doesn’t sit plush with a normal band, however I did buy a plain band with a twist on the middle so it does lock on and sit quite nicely x Wedding ring metal 1

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics