Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Wedding rings!

25 of March of 2014 at 01:03 Posted on Planning 0 32

Hi I'm new to this...

we are getting married in October. I am wondering what everyone is choosing for their wedding rings? We are just starting to look now but it seems a bit confusing for something so simple! We just want plain white gold bands and are on a fairly small budget of £500 for the two. I have a beautiful engagement ring which belonged to my fiancé grandmother, given to her not long after the war by his grandfather, he hadit reset in white gold. It's not a traditional sticky out one diamond type thing as is fashionable nowadays, but a lot of the wedding bands I have seen are 3mm and this just looks too big against my modest but pretty post war ring! 2mm looks lovely with it but very small if no engagement ring as does 2.5 which not many seem to do! The only 2.5 ring was the most snotty stuck up jeweller I've ever met so I did not want to give any of my hard earned money to him! And we looked In h Samuel just to see and the rings were very cheap (much below our budget) but such awful quality. Anyway would just like to know what other people have chosen and from where?

Thank you!!

32 replies

Latest activity by RomanticBlueDiamonds38448, 15 of July of 2019 at 11:29
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

We went to Ernest Jones and they were lovely. If you buy two rings together they'll give you a 20% discount. We were offered the discount straight up - but I know others have had to ask. Their rings are lovely quality. Mine's a 4mm heavyweight Platinum and H2Bs is a 2mm 9ct gold - it's what he wanted. His ring was about £120. So do go and check them out.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I got mine from alba rose & couldn't recommend them enough.

Lovely rings and really good value for money. Definitely worth a look in my opinion.

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

Have a look at local jewellers. I've found they are much cheaper than the main high street jewellers and can usually make whatever you want.

• H
    Beginner April 2014
    harribear ·
    • Hide content

I got mine made to fit around my engagement ring in white gold and my H2B has a palladium ring which is very hard wearing and cheaper than other metals but looks just as good. We got ours from a small independant jeweller and found that it was much cheaper than a bigger chain such as Ernest Jones (where we looked first) We also got a doscount for buying both rings with them. Good luck in your search Smiley smile x

• emjjarvy
    Beginner September 2014
    emjjarvy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I second this! They have been fab with me and my OH, especially as we have been so indecisive! You can select what metal you want, what type of ring (flat, comfort fit etc) and what thickness and finish - polished, matt, fine matt etc and of course the ring size. You will easily get two for under £500 in white gold from there I would have thought.

Will hopefully be doing a ring flash soon as our rings are currently 'very close to completion'!

• L
    Beginner November 2014
    lyndz67 ·
    • Hide content

Hello

I had the same problem as you as i just wanted a simple and our budget was £500.

Me and H2B got our yesterday from HSamuel. I went for a 3mm white gold court ring (£299- im paying the extra haha) so can be worn with my engagement ring which is also white gold. Was told to get the same metal in case the wedding ring wore down my engagement ring as the band is thin underneath.

My H2b got palladium as it was a more hard wearing metal.(£225).

Maybe go back to the shop with the 2.5 ring and see a different sales person.

I hope you find one soon.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

We're having a nightmare with ours lol!

I have very small fingers (size I) and my engagement ring has a deep set ruby so I need a wedding ring with a deep V shape else it won't sit right. I can't have anything too chunky as it will drown my finger, but you can't have too deep a V shape in a thin band. Gaaaah.

OH is just fussy! He wants something totally bespoke which is fine but he keeps changing his mind. Stone, no stone, two tone, white gold..you get the idea.

Anyway we are currently in discussion with a lovely local lady who makes rings from scratch, got our 3rd appointment next week. I am probably having a 3mm white gold band with a V shaped cut out with a diamond edge to match the diamonds in my ER. Not what I thought I would want but it sits nicely. OH is probably having a white gold 6mm band with a small diamond and a laser cut groove round the middle.

I thought it would be a case of popping into a jewellers and buying a couple of rings!

• millielovesroses
    Beginner March 2014
    millielovesroses ·
    • Hide content

Shop around, and keep your eye on any sales. I got mine from beaverbrooks. Was in the sale 50% off, 18ct white gold plain ring £275. Shopped around for h2b, £190 9ct white gold with a small diamond in it. Actually got it from a cash for gold place, but was brand new. Like you we only had a budget of £500 for both x

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Try Etsy, more custom designs and actually you can get them for quite cheap.

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

1. Have you tried beaver brooks? I haven't got my wedding ring yet but I have a ring and a few necklaces from there and I thought they were fantastic. They have a palladium 2mm ring for less than £250

http://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/0005116/Palladium-Court-Wedding-Ring/p

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Probably not helpful but we got ours from Elma Jewellery, £45 the pair. Only the best for us. ?

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what i'm looking to spend on rings! Just not important to us at all, hopefully get the same bargain!

• M
    Beginner June 2014
    MrsACF ·
    • Hide content

I can highly recommend www.wedding-rings.co.uk they are making our plain bands, much cheaper than anything on the High St and much better quality too. We are having one 2.5mm platinum and one 4mm palladium, including engraving for £643 so white gold would be much, much cheaper than that. The beauty of the silver samples is that you get to try different styles at home for a week so you are sure of the size and fit first.

They have been very helpful with me and have found a band that is an almost perfect match to my ER. They only had 2mm or 3mm on their site when I looked but they are making me a 2.5mm inthe style I want. Can't fault the service so far Smiley smile

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

As we're getting married at Gretna I really wanted to get our rings from gretnagreenweddingring.com - they do them with the anvil engraved inside - but I think I might need a chevron shaped one cos my engagement ring is pear shaped, and they only do plain bands. My sister in law knows someone who makes jewellery, so I need to get her to hook me up and see if she can make me a shaped one with an anvil in it.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    littlemissJ ·
    • Hide content

Hi There. Look into Smooch they are online but someone comes to your home. They can make customised rings prices really reasonable prices. They also over free gifts for bridesmaids and grooms men.

jackie

• T
    Beginner August 2014
    tohaveandtohold14 ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

Just thought I'd ask for advice on this post rather than start another wedding ring post.

I've just ordered my wedding ring from Ernest Jones and knew nothing about wedding jewellery and have actually now look at it online and its classed as an eternity ring.

I now know the difference, as have belatedly done my homework. The thing is my ring is a classic diamond ring with a high bridge, I don't want a plain band. I really like the ones that twist but they didn't go with the engagement ring. The one I've chosen matches perfectly but should I be concerned its an 'eternity ring' not a 'wedding ring' or does it really not matter?

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It doesn't matter. All that 's different is the word Wedding over Eternity - the ring is the same it just used differently. So go and get the ring you want and enjoy it.

A wedding ring is simply a ring of metal often now with precious stones, used at a specific ceremony to mark a marriage. The materials are irrelevant. An Eternity ring is also just a ring of metal usually with precious stones and used to mark another ocassion after marriage. It's only how you use it that determines which it is, wedding, eternity, engagament even.

• S
    Beginner June 2014
    Shoe_girl09 ·
    • Hide content

HI there- I'm getting our wedding bands done at a place in Hatton Gardens (but they are online) called Quality Diamonds - www.qualitydiamonds.co.uk

I just had a look and for a plain white gold band (18k, 2.5mm, size K) they are charging £130 or thereabouts so well within your budget. I'm having a platinum half eternity band with diamonds and sapphires for £729 and he's making it bespoke. They are very reliable and my engagement ring came from there too!

Good luck with your search.

xx

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    SunnyOrangeConfetti79 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We got ours from Elma too - we wanted silver rings and they were one of the few places that had a nice selection - really happy with them Smiley smile

• R
    Beginner January 2020
    RomanticIvoryStationery190 ·
    • Hide content

I would be careful ?
    One of the biggest regrets that my sister has is getting both her engagement ring and wedding from from a commercial jeweller. The problem she now faces is that lots of people have the same ring, it was the one from Hsamual, i think its £999. However, the value and exclusivity is gone out of the window when you see someone else with the same ring. I would opt for something custom made or bespoke, it can be just as cheap and will remain personal.

Jen xx

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

My H2B bought my engagement ring from samuels. I love it. When I looked at wedding rings to fit with it, only samuels had something that worked! So both of mine are from there. I have no problems with samuels at all, I wear a ring everyday that I got for my 18 (9 years ago) and it's still perfect.

• K
    Beginner October 2014
    katie80uk ·
    • Hide content

We too are getting married in October and ordered ours last week. We had a budget of £500 and got 2 lovely rings from Goldsmiths

I got a 2.5mm white gold plain band which is exactly what i was looking for, 2mm was just a bit too thin.

My partner didnt have a clue what he wanted so the woman at Goldsmiths got the biggest sample box of rings you have ever seen and he sat and tried on loads. He ended up with a lovely silver band in Palladium. The experience was lovely, we even got alcohol while we waited for her, cant say no to that. So sipping fizz and getting rings was the best wedding experience so far.

Partners ring will take up to 4 weeks to come so i would order soon if its an October wedding. Good luck x

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

We got ours from h samuel oh got a colbot ring and I just got a plain white gold ring and for both came to 180

• M
    Beginner September 2014
    Mellypoos ·
    • Hide content

We got my band in Goldsmiths as I had seen one i really loved and fit m engagement ring, but we bought OH's ring at Betts Metal sales .com and its lovely, it was made and sent very quickly and with OHs preferred finish on it. Also, if you sign up a a hobbyist to their site they give you trade prices which can offer a big discount. OHs ring was almost half the price as a registered customer than without. He even contemplated getting the ring in platinum as it meant the style he wanted was reduces from £800 to £400

• Pandabarney
    Beginner August 2014
    Pandabarney ·
    • Hide content

We bought ours direct from the manufacturer. I've got a 3mm rose gold 9ct ring and my OH has a 6mm white gold 9ct ring. It cost us £220 for the pair. We saved £20 on our original estimated price as the price of gold went down when they were ordered.

• Lorns
    Rockstar May 2015
    Lorns ·
    • Hide content

Im not much help budget wise... but we went back to the same shop that he got my engagement ring from and I wanted my wedding ring to be from the same designer (Portfolio Fine Diamonds) and I weirdly, chose the matching wedding band to my engagement ring so that made it very easy! £1095 for my wedding band, and OH has a paladium brushed band, around £550....but well worth it! They're beautiful Smiley smile

• bex_boo
    Beginner August 2014
    bex_boo ·
    • Hide content

Just a quick thought, but wherever you buy it from, might be worth asking them for their "cash price". A lot of jewellers add on money to incorporate the fact they offer finance deals at 0% interest. They have to make their money somewhere, so bump up the price for other things. They might knock the price down a little for cash.

Worth a try anyway! x

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

We got ours from Neweys in Birmingham Jewellery Quarter.

We did look on the high street but OH wanted something really quirky and didn't like anything we saw, and my ER is a funny shape and nothing sat right with it.

We ended up with mine in 18ct white gold with diamonds in a twist shape to fit round ER for £380 (H Samuels had something similar in 9ct for £399 for comparison so good value), and OH got to choose his ring and stone and they set it how he wanted in palladium with a good sized diamond for £400.

• R
    Beginner December 2021
    RomanticBlueDiamonds38448 ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried Beaverbrookes or perhaps a small retailer like diamond heaven?

Both have great collections of engagement rings and wedding rings. My partner managed to get my engagement ring at a really good price from Diamond Heaven and the wedding rings from Beaverbrookes.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics