Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner April 2013

Wedding Rings -Platinum v Palladium

FutureMrsWilliams, 12 April, 2012 at 18:36 Posted on Planning 0 23

Hello all,

I have been browsing wedding rings and wondering what the differences are between platinum and palladium?? I always thought that Platinum was the far superior metal but I spoke to a jewellery shop today who said that palladium is just as rare, strong and good quality.

I have a platinum engagement ring so I plan to have a matching ring, but wondering about my H2B? Palladium does seem to be the cheaper option.

Thoughts and flashes appreciated.

xxx?

23 replies

Latest activity by *Ducky*, 13 April, 2012 at 13:41
  • porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

I have a palladium ER, as far as I am aware and was told by the jeweller, palladium is as good, just cheaper, I think because it is 'new.' It has only just become a precious metal with hallmark etc.

Both OH and I are having palladium WR's, less than £500 for the two, although they are just plain bands.

Our jeweller said that palladium and platinum could be worn together with no ill effects because they are the same strength, one wont wear the other away, so if budget was an issue you could have a palladium WR, it would look the same.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

I have a palladium ER too...again i'm no expert but as far as i know they palladium is the middle ground between white gold and platinum but can sometimes be the cheapest as it is 'new' to the market and so not as in demand...i believe the actual strength etc of it is similar to platinum, it is also a precious metal like platinum...i would double check about putting a palladium ring with a platinum ring but i am having a white gold WR and a paladium ER and was told by the shop that would be ok (for 20 years anyway then i may need replating)

Smiley smile

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

OH is having a palladium ring, and when he was trying them on, I would say you could definitely see a difference in the colour between platinum and palladium, the palladium is a bit less bright, IYSWIM. Its subtle but I think a platinum next to a palladium ring might be noticeable... unless alot of the fron of one of them had stones in I suppose.

I have a white gold ER less than 2 years and will have had it replated twice beofre the wedding... I am quite hard wearing on it, and its not in depsrate need of doing, but you won't get 20 years out of one, as Old Bear said.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

you haven't upset me i know that it will wear more than 2 same metals...we shall see what happens if it's five years it's five haha oh well!! woman in the shop seemed to think it would be longer but hey!...we had tesco vouchers so my wedding ring was a total of £29 for my white gold and diamond band (otherwise would have picked same metal) it's hard to find standard womens palladium, as they aren't as popular and didn't have the funds to have it made so white gold it is Smiley tongue

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WOW twice in 2 years!! how much does it cost a time? jeez i hope i don't need it doing every year otherwise i may as well get another ring haha Smiley tongue

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol! first time was free as it was done within a year of it being bought at the same shop - so probably wouldn't have had it done as soon, but did it cos of the deal.

Second time will be free done by the shop we are getting WRs from as part of that deal. I think Ernest Jones where it was bought said it would be about £30 so not alot of money.

In that time mine has only really yellowed on the palm side and a little on the tips of the main stone clasp - and was definitely worse in the first year when I was really heavily involved in the heavy work in renovating our house. It definitely doesn't need doing i the next mointh before the wedding, but I want it shiny!!

• T
    Beginner July 2012
    Thursday Bride ·
    • Hide content

My ER is palladium - its bespoke and when we were with the jeweller deciding on the metal to go with the gemstone the price of white gold was too much and platinum would have been too heavy. Palladium is less dense so you need fewer grams to create the same outline and therefore get a lighter ring. I am struggling to find a nice palladium wedding ring though as most jewellers don't do ER in palladium yet so the WR are for men!

I was advised to keep the same metal for ER and WR

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Thursday bride - have a look at Diamond geezer for palladium wedding bands. They have looooooads and will design you a bespoke band if none of their current designs suit. They are FAB guys!

OP - as has been said above, with regards to metal properties, platinum and palladium are very similar and so can be worn alongside each other with no problems. Plus, palladium is super light compared to the same ring in platinum. There IS a slight colour difference, platinum is 'whiter' whereas palladium is more silvery/grey. If worn next to each other a keen eye could spot it, but it wouldn't be really noticeable. My ring is platinum and OHs is palladium and I can see the difference. It would bother me but it may not bother you.

• T
    Beginner July 2012
    Thursday Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Ducky I will certainly have a look - think we will probably go back to the jewellers who designed my ER. They did a WR design with diamonds in when we did the ER as my ER has no diamonds at all (its just HUGE chunk of green garnet!) but I wasn't sure if I wanted diamonds in the WR or not at the time. As the ER is so unusual the WR needs to "fit" and nothing I have tried so far does ☹️

• B
    Beginner September 2013
    Banner ·
    • Hide content

My ER is platinum and me and my partner have both just ordered palladium wedding rings. There is a really big difference in cost. My partner chose quite a detailed ring because he has really big hands a big plain band didnt look right so he went for a ring that had a pattern round it. In palladium it has cost us £700 in platinum it would have cost £2200! The jeweller said both platinum and palladium work well together unlike white gold with platinum. I could not see any difference when both the platinum and palladium were together. We were told that palladium is just as strong as platinum and prices will increase in the future with higher demand for the metal.

xx

• ButterflyChild
    Beginner May 2013
    ButterflyChild ·
    • Hide content

H2b was trying on palladium WRs the other week, the jeweller told us that palladium is part of the platinum family Smiley smile

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

My H has a palladium wedding ring. Palladium is a newer metal in that it's only recently been hallmarked so it's still cheap. I was told its stronger than platinum.

• heleng78
    Beginner August 2012
    heleng78 ·
    • Hide content

Hi I have a white gold engagement ring which is going yellow (been engaged a year and has been re-plated once in that time already). But for wedding rings we are both having matching palladium ones. We got the jeweller down to £400 for both (his was more pricey due to the weight) so now we are paying an equal price. Palladium won't go yellow but apparently it CAN go dull. But to be honest once it's on I don't plan on taking it off! Good luck! H x x

• F
    Beginner April 2013
    FutureMrsWilliams ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone.

It seems most agree that Palladium has very similar properties to platinum and will look much the same. Seems that most people also think that the reason it is cheaper at the moment is because it has only recently had a hallmark but the price difference will shrink!

Just need to persuade H2B now that palladium is just as good as platinum and will save us a good number of £££!

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

My OH is having a palladium wedding ring, all the strength of platinum, never needs to be rhodium coated, and is less than half the price of platinum.

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My palladium ER does go a bit dull, but the jeweller where we got it cleans it free for life! So I just pop in on my lunch hour and get it sparkled up!

• G
    Beginner November 2011
    GemGem81 ·
    • Hide content

I have a platinum engagement ring and a palladium wedding ring and I can honestly say I can see absolutely no difference in colour or texture between the 2. 5 months after the wedding and they are both 'wearing' very similarly as well - similar amount of scratches etc.

We looked around a lot of shops in the jewellry quarter in Birmingham when wedding ring shopping and got mixed advice from jewellers about whether you can wear platinum and palladium together, although a majority were saying you can. We did quite a lot of reading on the internet and this seemed to be the consensus so we ended up feeling that the ones who said you can't were after the extra money they can make from selling the far more expensive platinum.

I guess in the end for you it comes down to if you think you can see a difference in colour of shininess when you try them on together, but for OH it would definitley save a lot of money. We got 2 palladium bands, mine with 6 small diamonds in for about £500 but would have been more like £1500-£2000 to have them in platinum.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Palladium is cheaper not just because it's new, but because it's so much lighter. Precious metals are bought and sold by weight, so a platinum ring is noticeable heavier than a palladium ring.

For example, I am sure my 3mm, size J, platinum wedding band is heavier than OH's man-finger-size 6mm palladium band. And his was cheaper even though there is much more metal!

• Little Miss Tweety
    Beginner August 2012
    Little Miss Tweety ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Was just going to say this.

We both have palladium WR's. My ER is white gold but i will be wearing that on my other hand as it is shaped and i didnt like the wedding band that was shaped to fit it.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

This is what we have done ?

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Us too!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇