Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

babybirdandmouse
Dedicated August 2020

Wedding Rings to fit Engagement Rings

babybirdandmouse, 22 August, 2010 at 17:53 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hi All,

Although I don't get married until this time next year, I'm doing as much research as possible so I am fully aware of the costs & whilst looking for wedding rings, have notice just how expensive it is to get a wedding band to fit my engagement ring! Smiley sad

My engagement ring is a square diamond so wearing a standard plain band would probably look odd, but more importantly damage my engagement ring. I really need a wedding ring with a cut-out square so my engagement ring fits snugly with it. Has anybody else had this same problem and find any cheaper options for overcoming it?

Thanks x

18 replies

Latest activity by Fleur10, 25 January, 2011 at 21:35
  • debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

does your diamond sit high up, cos a straight one ould fit beautifully!!! Where did you get the ER, cos they should go a WR to match!! there are all different shaped rings though so you should be grand!!

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    ShellG ·
    • Hide content

You can send your ER off when you buy your WR and have your WR cut to fit it snug - I think they said it cost about £80

• babybirdandmouse
    Dedicated August 2020
    babybirdandmouse ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

My engagement ring is from the Birmingham jewellery quarter but they didn't have a wedding ring to match unfortunately. I suppose at the time, I was so excited about being engaged, I didn't think of the practicality of my ring!! LOL.

I have attached a picture - mine is white gold though. There is a sqaure box in which the diamond sits that rests on my finger so I would have a gap if I had a straight ring.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I don't have anything useful to add but I'm in a similar position with my ER (see my avatar) and having an absolutely straight wedding band! I've decided to wear my ER on my right hand once we're married because I have ridiculously tiny hands so I actually look a bit silly wearing two rings.

Is it an option for you to not wear your ER with your wedding band?

• babybirdandmouse
    Dedicated August 2020
    babybirdandmouse ·
    • Hide content

Not that it is any consolation that you are struggling to, but I'm just glad that I am not the only one! Smiley smile

I actually quite like the look of two rings on the one finger. One of the girls at work has it and it looks lovely. I suppose if I want it, I'll just have to pay for it (which I've been quoted around £500) ... I just don't want to spend that much of my budget on the ring!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

YIKES!!! £500? Crumbs. Worth if it you really want to wear the two rings together though. I actually love the look of both rings, I just can't pull it off because of my silly hands.

• M
    Beginner October 2010
    mrsmiller2b ·
    • Hide content

I've had to get my WR fitted around my ER, I would recommend having a consultation with Smooch, that's who I've ordered my WR from, it has cost me £500 too. The photos below are similar to my rings x

• Beckyv83
    Beginner September 2010
    Beckyv83 ·
    • Hide content

My ring seems to be similar to what you guys are describing and i have a plain straight band so this would fit fine.

HTH

• babybirdandmouse
    Dedicated August 2020
    babybirdandmouse ·
    • Hide content

Yours looks great! However, mine doesn't look so good. My engagement ring looks almost identical to yours but I think your square diamond then goes into a tulip shape on your band so you can get the wedding band underneath it. Mine on the other hand is actually a box with the band fitted around it so I have a gap between two bands and it looks odd Smiley sad

It looks like I may have to get used to the idea of paying out a fair few hundred pounds to get what I want!

Thanks for you advice, girlies! x

• Shnarfy1
    Beginner November 2010
    Shnarfy1 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with MrsMiller and try smooch. They come to your home for a free consultation and you could talk over your options with them, they also bring trays of rings for you to try out so that may be an option for you.

• babybirdandmouse
    Dedicated August 2020
    babybirdandmouse ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I'll definately try Smooch and that's great if they come to the house!

Thanks again x

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I have the same ring as MrsMiller2B.

My solution has been to get a ring made - I am having the ring to make my ring sit centred rather than straight as MrsMiller2B and so mine is a U shaped ring.

I have also had diamonds put into mine so that it is the same as H2Bs so it has cost more. Although they have cost a lot less by going to a local family run jeweler. H2Bs stance was that we should spend as much as we could on the rings, saying... We are spending however much on flowers, reception etc which is for one day, but wearing the rings forever so they need to be right.

I am told that in the Jewelry quarter, Bham you can go, tell them your budget and they will find something - not tried it myself, however my auntie paid £300 per her plain shaped band from there.

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

Not sure where you're based, but I have a more difficult ring than Mrsmiller2b - mine's similar but actually curved arms rather than straight, so there was no way I was going to find a ring to fit. I went to Jay's Jewellers in Hatton Garden - they did an 18ct yellow gold shaped for me and a 9ct white gold flat court 4mm for hubby. The rings came to £500 and mine fits exactly - it's a shape that comes up to a point like a wave and I love it, there's no gap whatsoever. They did it in about 12 days as well so I wasn't missing my ER for that long.

• babybirdandmouse
    Dedicated August 2020
    babybirdandmouse ·
    • Hide content

Hi All,

Just a quick update. I have managed to find a gem of a woman who is going to make the ring attached to fit my engagement ring for only £180. The ring will be 18ct white gold just like my engagement ring and she is only charging for how much the ring would be without the custom shape ... I'm so pleased that I have managed to save a little over £300 and I get something a little different out of it too Smiley laugh

I think it is lovely ... the one in this picture is sterling silver which is why it might not look as 'shiny' as it should!

That's another thing ticked off my list!

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

I had my wedding ring made to fit my engagement ring, It cost £300 but we did pick up a voucher from a wedding fair to buy one ring, get one half price at a local jewellers.

• babybirdandmouse
    Dedicated August 2020
    babybirdandmouse ·
    • Hide content

That's a perfect fit and looks great.

I can't wait to see what mine looks like together once it is made ... even though I'm not a Mrs for another year!

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

THanks. I love it. Trust me - the next yr will fly!

• J
    Beginner March 2011
    Joysy ·
    • Hide content

HI Kirstie, I know you posted this ages ago, but I've just been searching the net to try and find a wedding band to match my engagement ring! could you please give me the details of the lady who is making your ring? I would really appreciate it.

Joy

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

Kirstie, I see you are going to Ibiza for your honeymoon, great choice the white isle is like a second home to me and H2B, we love it so much. Where on the island are you staying? (sorry to hijack thread).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics