Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Miranda
Savvy September 2023 East Sussex

Wedding speeches

Miranda, 6 of June of 2023 at 18:02 Posted on Planning 0 7
Hello everyone

Just seeing if anyone did anything different than wedding speeches or no speeches at all? My dad is such an introvert and really doesn’t feel comfortable with it and my FH is the same, he said he would do a speech but I don’t want anyone to be uncomfortable on our wedding day I just want everyone relaxed and having a nice time! Did anyone not do speeches and doing anything alternative, or if anyone is choosing not to do them at all? I keep thinking I know it’s not ‘traditional’ to not include them but I don’t want anyone stressedTIA x

7 replies

Latest activity by Georgia, 10 of June of 2023 at 00:34
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    Your day so do it your way! I have been to a couple of weddings where they just had a best man speech and then the groom and Father just did a toast to thank the guests for coming but it is honestly your choice and I would say scrap them all together if they feel uncomfortable. An alternative is to maybe have alternative speech givers like mum, sibling, grandparent, maid of honour or even the bride!

• M
    Dedicated October 2023 Greater Manchester
    MrsM2B ·
    • Hide content
    I’ve told my dad he doesn’t have to do one if he doesn’t want to. He did a speech at my sisters wedding last year and got himself worked up about it. I’d rather him just enjoy the day. x

• Lea
    Rockstar July 2023 Kent
    Lea ·
    • Hide content

My dad doesn't speak good English and more than half our guests are English speakers so I will be doing a little speech instead. It's only about 2 mins long. My fiancé is doing a short speech too. We'll be leaving the longer speech to the best man (my fiancé's brother) as he's good at public speaking and doesn't really mind.

As stated above, it's your wedding so you do what's right for you!

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

I find that a lot of couples have the speeches before the food to help those that otherwise will not be able to relax and enjoy their food.

You could do a joint one with your FH, also I am seeing a lot more maid of honour / chief bridesmaid speeches. Also its called a speech but it could just consist of some thank you's

• E
    Curious July 2023 North Yorkshire
    Emma ·
    • Hide content

We decided when we first planned our wedding there would be no speeches, top table or first dance......our wedding, our way! You do what you want ❤️

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Your wedding, your choice.

To be honest, I'm struggling to think of a single wedding I've been to where I wouldn't have rather they skipped the speeches. Unless someone is a natural raconteur, most speeches are quite painful to sit through!

We didn't have any at our wedding. My OH just thanked everyone for coming and for supporting us, and briefly mentioned our fathers, both of whom died before the wedding. I think the whole thing took about 60 seconds. (And he was the one to do it because he's used to public speaking and I hate it, rather than because we were being 'traditional'!)

• Georgia
    Curious February 2024 West Midlands
    Georgia ·
    • Hide content
    You could always do speeches where you give people the option to do one? On your invite, you could say “if you’re interested in doing a 2-3 minute speech at our wedding, please get in touch”. There might be some friends or family members who would be more than happy to speak! Your dad could then give them some of his words to add on, so he still gets to have input but someone else talks for him maybe?
    I would say though, definitely make it clear it isn’t a free for all on the day. Once you’ve committed to making a speech, you are and if you didn’t commit, you can’t just grab the mic. Otherwise it may go a bit pear-shaped!

You could also ask your event manager or MC or DJ at your venue to read out a speech on someone or a few people’s behalf.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics