Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner October 2013

Wedding speeches/ slideshow?

bgirl81, 10 of July of 2013 at 15:35 Posted on Planning 0 4

We have had an idea of an alternative to speeches and want a bit of advice.

Our venue has a projector and as soon as we both saw it we knew we had to use it, lol.

The main reason for this is neither of us want to stand up and make a speech, we are not confident people at all and only wanted a small registry wedding just the two of us, but like most weddings it's spiraled out of control, so this is what we have come up with to save ourselves from feeling physically ill on the day, I know some people will say you will feel different on the day, but trust me we wont, if we could scrap the whole day and elope we would!

We were going to have our best man say his speech at the beginning of the meal ( I did not want speeches at all, but he insisted) then he would start our slide show.

We were going to have a pictures of people that have helped us, with big thank yous at the bottom, then thank yous from us, then a few pics of us with funny captions etc, or like first date, first holiday etc which will probably just be on a loop the whole night so people at reception will see it too.

Can anyone think of any other ideas? Or tips, I know it's a random thing to do but our wedding is very unusual and quirky anyway so this is an extension of us, and I think people are expecting us to do something different.

Also what music would you suggest if any to be played in the background?

Has anyone done anything similar? I've started making it using power point but is there another application I can use on a mac?

Thanks.

Please no haters, if you don't like the idea then that's fair enough, but don't feel the need to tell me, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it is ours!

4 replies

Latest activity by MrsBeckiW, 10 of July of 2013 at 17:14
  • Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I think this is a great idea. I went to a wedding this weekend where the best man did this. He was extremely worried about doing a speech so did a very clever and funny slide show of pictures. He did a running commentary along with it, but I don't think you need to and music can work very well too. Perhaps a light hearted song, or what you walk down the aisle to?

I did see a Hitcher (I think) post this as her husbands grooms speech and I thought it was fantastic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWHtufVq6l4

Good luck, look forward to seeing it!

• Red Kite
    Beginner
    Red Kite ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding that did this - instead of speeches they had the slideshow running the whole of the sit down meal. It was great as there were lots of pictures of the bride and groom growing up (with lots of giggles at the groom dressed as a girl in high heels when he was tiny) and pictures of all the friends and family. It gave everyone something to enjoy whilst waiting for food and was a lovely way (in my opinion to thank everyone). They had a slide at the start of the loop that read 'This is our speech - we'd rather not read it aloud.' (or something along those lines). There wasn't any music because that allowed people to talk amongst themselves and enjoy remembering some of the events the photographs were taken from. They had done a good job of getting a good range so that all their uni friends and work friends etc were included.

• B
    Beginner October 2013
    bgirl81 ·
    • Hide content

That was actually amazing! bought a tear to my eye! Phew! I'm glad we're not the only ones to have thought of this, thanks for the help ladies, pics as kids is a good idea, didn't think about that! Yep I feel a lot happier about the whole thing now, lol

• Bookish
    Beginner August 2014
    Bookish ·
    • Hide content

Keynote is the Mac equivalent of PowerPoint. There's also an app called Haiku Deck that's quite good if you have a tablet.

• MrsBeckiW
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsBeckiW ·
    • Hide content

My dad has a stutter and it gets worse when he is nervous, and my OH is shy so they both really dont want to do a speech.

We are considering just pre recording them and playing them in on the day.

I am an editor so I know if needs be I can get someone to cut it together for me.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics