Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner

Wedding Suppliers - payments

HappyYellowCakes577, 24 of June of 2016 at 17:14 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi All,

I am after a bit of advice, we have been offered a discount by one of our suppliers if we pay in cash rather than card.

is this usual? I am unsure if its OK to do?

Any advice would be great

Thanks

6 replies

Latest activity by HappyYellowCakes577, 5 of July of 2016 at 11:26
  • Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

It's fairly common for suppliers to be paid in cash, hair, makeup and so on, the smaller payments usually. Bigger things like Photography, Video and stuff like that much less so.

Often a discount for cash can be justified in that paying by card attracts a fee from the payment gateway. Usually it's something like 3% so if they offer you a small discount that reflect this that's perfectly understandable. A bit like how some holiday companies don't charge a fee for using a debit card vs a credit card.

But, paying cash before the wedding or the service being delivered is a risk because you have no protection should the supplier go AWOL.

• rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

We paid cash to our DJ on the day, all was fine - we gave the best man an envelope with the money in & he sorted it with the DJ when he arrived in the evening. No issues at all - I suppose it depends how much & which supplier xx

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

If they want cash perhaps offer half upfront then the rest on completion of their service?

• H
    Beginner
    HappyYellowCakes577 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all, it is our caterer so that is why I am hesitant as its a major part of the day!

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't for something as big as catering, at least not upfront.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

As mentioned, paying in cash offers you no protection, like paying through a credit card - you don't get any protection paying by debit card though!

Do you have wedding insurance? Mine accepts cash payments, as long as there is a receipt from the supplier.

I would consider getting that - and also consider not paying the whole thing up front.

• H
    Beginner
    HappyYellowCakes577 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks All!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics