Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Fairytales19
Beginner September 2015

Wedding Theme

Fairytales19, 16 of December of 2014 at 09:39 Posted on Planning 0 27

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the forum and thought I'd start a new thread around wedding themes. I love looking at pictures of people's wedding and hearing all about their theme and inspiration so thought it would be a fun topic to talk about. Apologies if it's been done before, I had a quick look and couldn't see one.

Our theme is traditional with a hint of fairytale. We're getting married in a Church and then moving onto a castle for the drinks reception etc and will be decorating the latter venue with the fairytale element. We don't want to go too over the top with it but just a little bit here and there like some fairy lights and butterflies on glasses etc. Our colour theme is mostly pink (dusky) with gold and aubergine/purple to make it a little different. I'm having so much fun putting things together and experimenting! We at the point where we have starting thinking about the table layout.. loving it! We've told a handful of people the theme but it will be a surprise to most which makes it extra exciting!

What is the theme for your wedding?

x

27 replies

Latest activity by Aquiescence*, 16 of December of 2014 at 16:55
  • Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It could be a tricky one to get the balance just how you want it, but in my experience don't underestimate how much a venue can swallow your decorating. And also how it will translate into the night.

• Fairytales19
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairytales19 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your advice Smiley smile

We're going to visit the venue with our decorators in the new year to confirm things so hopefully everything will fall into place then. We've got quite a few rooms in the castle to decorate but only want a hint because we don't want to take too much away from the beautiful decorations already there, we just want to put our stamp on it Smiley smile

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Mine is a bit of 60s glam, a bit of Scottish.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I see you have a professional who would be the expert then, its just that so many times I have been told its an x-y or z theme but it has been spread so thinly that unless you were looking you would not see it. You have an expert onboard but how about not trying to decorate lots of rooms but just go "nuts" in one

• Fairytales19
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairytales19 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh wow that's a great theme! Really fun! x

• Fairytales19
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairytales19 ·
    • Hide content

haha sounds good to me! x

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Mine is a mix... sort of winter (even though its not in winter lol) meets rock but im always scared to put 'rock' theme because ive seen it go so badly wrong before with people trying to dress up and wear spandex and mullet wigs lol

also ive never seen anything like mine on any rock wedding sites but its based on a famous music video (NOT November Rain lol) so its pretty rock based

ill be interested to see your dress, Alfred Angelo makes 'princess' dresses or are you going to get something completely different and be your own modern princess Smiley smile

• Fairytales19
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairytales19 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Maybe! It's something to consider at least Smiley smile I definitely want something in each room as we want to theme to run through the castle from when people first arrive outside to the rooms so it has a nice flow to it. It's also incorporated into the stationary etc so i don't think it can be missed. Our 'nuts' room could maybe be the dance room! It will be a good space to work with. Eeeeek!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's a true sign that I've grown up that I don't want a wedding dress like Erin Everly's in that video. If I'd got married when I was 18...that would have been it.

• Fairytales19
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairytales19 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ooh wow that theme sounds great! Totally different to anything else I've heard, I'd love to see photo's! The Winter element is so magical! Part of me wishes we had opted for a Winter wedding because it would be amazing with christmas trees and all that kind of stuff but my hair would freak out in the rain! Not that you can ever guarantee good weather anyway.

How are you going to incorporate the rock side in?

Aww thanks Smiley smile I chose my dress last week and I LOVE it! It's by Sophia Tolli and is princess without being huge Smiley smile

• Fairytales19
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairytales19 ·
    • Hide content

Oh wow that is SO exciting!!! Good spot!!! ? You're the only person I've come across who has chosen the same date!! Whoop!

Those colours will look stunning together, really rich! x

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

@inked doll: its the model Stephanie Seymour in the video (Axl and Erin broke up 2 years before, its Erin in the 'sweet child' video) to be honest though if I looked even half as good as her id try it but lets face it the woman was stunning (and tall/slim/perfect) lol

to OP: thanks, were not actively trying to incorporate rock because its so easy to go over the top but we will have a live band and my dress is pretty different,I think sometimes people try to be rock and then it doesnt work... my favorite rock wedding is jani lane and bobby brown they just look so cute and the bridesmaids look awesome and it just looks natural

tommy lees is another good one (to heather not pam... lol I dont think a bikini makes a great wedding dress)

but NOT like joe elliots (he looks like a hobo and whats she wearing lol)

and just as a cute point... axls actual marriage to erin

I love winter too but its too cold so autumn suits better... our color theme is light blue, white and silver with lots of little crystals (ice like)

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh yeah - doh! Sheesh, call myself a GNR fan Smiley smile

• millbankandkent
    millbankandkent ·
    • Hide content

Always love to hear about wedding themes. We have covered many funny ones in the past. My favourite was including a photo of the family cat in the centre of the wedding stationery!. He was very important member of the coupe!. : )

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

Don't really think ours has a theme as such. I guess kind of winter, but using the pink gold and creams as our colours. We haven't got a glamorous venue but i want make up for that with stunning decor. I guess I want chic glamorous decor. here is some of my inspiration

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

I'm hoping that we are going for something along the lines of classical elegance with a touch of old Hollywood glamour. Not sure what that is, really, but in my head it all looks lovely!!! We've got some elements, though, that definitely aren't any of those things, but are so *us*....so perhaps our theme is simply "our really nice, quite good fun, wedding"......!!

• Fairytales19
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairytales19 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your theme sounds gorgeous but I'm bias as I'm doing pink and gold too hehe

That picture is very pretty! Your wedding will be beautiful!!!

x

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Steampunk!

Your colours sound super pretty OP!

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

Look forward to seeing how yours will turn out :-) haha you have good taste!!

Thank you I hope our wedding at least resembles a little of this picture. I will be happy if a little part of our day ends up look anything like this lol.

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

HMM - excuse my ignorance but i keep hearing the term 'steampunk' and have no idea what it means!? Do tell...

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Its sort of Victorian technology and style modernized.... lots of cogs and corsets lol

• Fairytales19
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairytales19 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds really lovely! Thanks for the pictures!

We're having little crystals on the tables too.. gorgeous aren't they?! They couldn't be more perfect for your theme representing ice! Love it!

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

I'm so stuck with how we'll decorate ours. It's a beautiful house that pretty much speaks for itself! My H2B wants loads of fairy lights, but I have no idea how we'll do it!

All your themes sound lovely! Is it strange to not have a theme? Ours is just kinda stuff we like!

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's how ours evolved - we certainly didn't set out to even have a colour scheme, but over the weeks and months it all just became apparent that what we liked worked well together and we just ran with it.

When we first got engaged my mother asked if we were having a theme and I simply looked at her as though she was mad!! Do we have one, not really, other than us having a feel of how we want it to be!

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    Aquiescence* ·
    • Hide content

Calella- I am doing lots of fairy lights so I have bought loads of plain white battery operated fairy lights. They come in 4 or 8 m so are quite long and can be out anywhere. And lots of batteries! I plan to wrap them around ivy garlands and around staircases, window frames, the table we sign the register on etc.

We don't have a theme as such, but the idea is natural, forestry, rustic, a little vintage. Flowers in jars, lace, fairy lights, colour theme (well just colour of bm dresses and men's ties) is sage green.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics