Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner April 2015

Wedding transport for guests - is it necessary?

a-cheap-date, 7 of November of 2014 at 10:29 Posted on Planning 0 5

What are people doing for transport for their guests? We are getting married in our local church and the reception venue is a 20 minute drive away. However, the cheapest hotel near to the reception venue is 30 minutes' drive away. The guests would then have a 10 minute taxi back on themselves to the reception venue. I'm not sure what to do.

I can't really afford the £400 we've been quoted for the trip but equally I don't want people straggling around, especially as we have paid for (non tacky!) entertainment for the drinks reception.

The church ceremony is at 1pm and the drinks reception is at 3pm. The best option would be to have a coach that picks up guests en route and then takes them to the reception (which doesn't have any rooms attached as it is a barn). Yet when I looked into minibuses for people, a 16 seater would be £45 each way for guests - that's only £6pp for both ways. A coach service I use through work told me that a lot of the time coaches get wasted as people make their own way there.

The hotel I am recommending is just £30 per room for a Saturday if booked in advance or £40 per room for a Saturday with a cancellation policy and so it's not actually too bad for people.

If I give people enough notice, do you think it's reasonable for people to make their own way between the church and reception? Do you think it's likely that guests will take forever and straggle if I don't? Ideally I would ask for contributions - our friends wouldn't mind but I can imagine my family getting a little bit funny as they have put on buses in the past despite not having a flash wedding.

Getting a bit stressed now!

5 replies

Latest activity by a-cheap-date, 7 of November of 2014 at 17:16
  • T
    Beginner May 2015
    trewsie ·
    • Hide content

I think it is nice but no totally necessary. I think the main factor would be is there ample parking at the reception venue and are cars allowed to be left there overnight?

As long as I could drive there and then collect my car in the morning with a fuzzy head I don't see it being a problem.

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends where your venue is - ours is in the middle of the countryside and there is no way to get there other then quite a pricey taxi ride - it's about 30 minutes from Cambridge so we are.

We have asked people on the invites if they require transport from Cambridge to the church and reception (and back again) to get in touch then depending on the numbers depends on what size we book.

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

The last couple of "big" weddings I have been to have both been a 15-20 minute trip between the church and reception, which wasn't so much the issue, as the problem with parking by the church which was very restricted on both those days.

So transport was laid on for guests who were basically encouraged to leave their cars at the reception venue, then get the provided bus/coach to the church to avoid parking problems, then the bus/coach back to the reception afterwards. Those that weren't drinking could then drive home, those that were staying over could have their car where they wanted it in the morning, and those who didn't fall into either of those categories knew that their cars were safe at the reception venue car parks, and could get cabs/lifts home and arrange to pick up their cars when their hangovers subsided.

So, it is not just a case of timing, or cost of room, but the practicalities of parking. I seem to recall my ex husband getting a parking ticket when we went to a church wedding once before because he was an usher, was running late, and ended up having to park on double yellows just so that he could get to the church before they started!!! You certainly don't want your guests getting stressed over things like that! Of course, if your church has a big car park or whatever, then this won't be an issue for you!

• Miss-b
    Beginner August 2016
    Miss-b ·
    • Hide content

I personally wouldn't see it as an issue to get myself from the church to the reception venue! I've been to LOTS of weddings (I've been bridesmaid 6 times) and I think all of them had a drive from the church to the reception and I don't recall any wedding where transport was put on by the bride and groom.

All people will know well in advance and you will probably find people will carpool and things like that! As others have said there would just need to be ample parking at the reception venue and the possibility to leave it there over night, as I would imagine most people would drive to the reception venue and then get a taxi at the end of the night.

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    a-cheap-date ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much guys!! The more I think about it, the more i think that the venue has a car park (and any overflow can easily park in the nearby residential part as all the houses have off-road parking, leaving plenty for non-residents) - so it's actually far easier for people to park at the nearby free car park, a couple of minutes from the church, head back to their cars and then drive over to the venue and pick it up in the morning. If people are driving each other then it's just a coupe of quid each for then to chip in for someone to fetch the car!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics