Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Goldfishbowl
Beginner October 2009

Wedding Veils...yay or nay?

Goldfishbowl, 19 of July of 2009 at 20:55 Posted on Planning 0 23

I am trying to decide whether or not to have a veil. When I had decided on my dress, I tried one on to get the 'overall appearance' and it looked lovely. But I begrudge paying loads of money for a veil that I will only wear in the church. I dont really want a veil that covers my face, so was thinking of maybe a single layer veil, to the waist, no longer.

My other argument to not having one at all is that we are getting married at the end of October, and dont want the veil to be blown about in the wind and for it to look all wrong in the photographs.

Am I having a slight Bridezilla moment??

Would appreciate any suggestions for a suitable veil and your advice!

Marie x

23 replies

Latest activity by boogiebelle, 20 of July of 2009 at 19:45
  • F
    Beginner August 2010
    Flowerfairy ·
    • Hide content

Hi Marie,

I think yay! I dont want a veil that covers my face so I've gone for a simple one with a ribbon at the bottom that I can fix underneath my 'up do'. I've ordered one from The Wedding Veil Shop and it was quite reasonable. I dont know what the quality is like - but I'll let you know when it arrives!

If your not sure, go for one anyway and then if you dont like it (or it's windy) you can just remove it? And I bet you could sell it on the bay of e for not far off what you pay for it! ?

It's your decision in the end - but I hope that helps a bit!

x x x

• cheska
    Beginner May 2009
    cheska ·
    • Hide content

I went for no veil for a few reasons.

We weren't having a church wedding and feel that veils are more for the church than civil.

I knew it would annoy me later on in the day

and finally, I did try one on and they just didn't suit me at all!

Have you tried any on yet? Have you got your dress?

• MrsCoyleToBe
    Beginner November 2012
    MrsCoyleToBe ·
    • Hide content

I'm defo going for on. Your can get really nice ones with sparkle on them that might not be as fly away if it's windy and as someone already said, you can always remove it for the pics if it's too windy. x

• debbydoo
    Beginner May 2009
    debbydoo ·
    • Hide content

Before i tried any dresses on, I was undecided about a veil, it was only when I was in the dress shop and the woman put a veil on when I had a dress on that I decided I would have one. For me it just finished everything off. I ordered my veil online from the wedding veil shop, the quality was great and it was far cheaper than in the shops.

• F
    Beginner July 2010
    Fizzyfrog ·
    • Hide content

Def a yey from me, you should look around you can get some nice ones on ebay for a fraction of what they cost in bridal shops, be careful from who you purchase from but there are some bargains to be found

• Blackkat
    Beginner July 2008
    Blackkat ·
    • Hide content

I was undecided on a veil but I found them ichy on the back of my neck so its a nay for me but I think its a personal choice. Good luck with your decision

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

One of my favourite pictures from our day is one where my veil is blowing in the wind:

I'd go for it. They're not that expensive in the grand scheme of things (mine was £69) and, let's face it, it's the only time in your life you get to wear one! I wouldn't have felt like a proper bride without one.

• Becca
    Dedicated October 2006
    Becca ·
    • Hide content

I had a veil - the battle plan was just for the church, but I loved it and it was no great hassle, so I don't think it came off until mid way through the evening do when I had to redo my hair from too much dancing!

I felt it just added that special something, and would've felt it was money well spent in the grand scheme of things if I had just taken it off after the photos I think.

Re the blowing about in the wind thing - that can be quite lovely too...

• Beccy Sprout
    Beginner
    Beccy Sprout ·
    • Hide content

I say yay to veils... I picked mine up last weeked and haven't stopped trying it on with my tiara... I love it!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

It is a yes from me 100%. I always knew I'd wear a veil regardless of what the dress was like or that it was a civil ceremony as I wouldn't have felt like a bride without one.

As for blowing in the wind I loved it!

I designed my veil based on one I'd seen in a shop and had it made for me for £45 so they don't need to be expensive.

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There are some stunning photos on my Blog of windy veil photos!

x

• Weather Girl
    Beginner October 2009
    Weather Girl ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on whether a veil would suit the overall look of the dress and what your individual taste is.

I have to agree with Cheska when she says about them being more "church" than "civil", but that's just my opinion. I have decided not to have a veil (I'm having a gorgeous headband instead) because I don't think it compliments my dress and in fact takes attention away from it, which seems a shame after choosing such a lovely dress.

I do however love to see veils on other people but unfortunately they're just not me.

• W
    Beginner September 2009
    wedding bella ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I have a fascinator with little 1950's veil that goes half over my face, so am not planning on a long veil too. I am not very girly but it does look nice in some photos.

I have seen cheap (sorry very reasonably priced!) veils at The Bridal Room Oxfam shops. They are new veils donated by designers. They are just like normal bridal shops, it's where I got my dress. Good to know your money is going for a good cause too. The shops are listed on the Oxfam website, you usually need to make an appointment before going. They normally sell at 1/3 of actual price in a normal shop.

Bella

• Mrs G x
    Beginner September 2009
    Mrs G x ·
    • Hide content

I'm a yay for a veil, it finished the dress off when i tried nit on, iv gon for a short one as i am only short my self so bi didn't want it to look to overpowering and i didn't want it to hide all the detail of the back of the dress.i'm just waiting for mine to be delivered to the shop, i cant wait to try it on with my tiara.

• Spamboule
    Beginner October 2008
    Spamboule ·
    • Hide content

I didn't have a veil and I got married in a small village church. I don't regret my decision at all, and n fact it got to show off my fab hair instead.

I'm not really a 'girly' person, and wanted a plain dress with simple flowers. I had already spent loads of money on the dress, so so spend even more on something I'd only wear a couple of hours wasn't something I wanted to do. Mind you, I'm anti favours too, so I guess I'm not a 'typical' bride ?

I got married at the end of October last year and it was a bit windy, but a fab time of year to get married.

• geekypants
    Beginner August 2008
    geekypants ·
    • Hide content

I loved the look of my veil and all, but it was cathedral length and I lopped it out as soon as I could, just because it was getting in my way so much.

• nicyx
    Beginner May 2011
    nicyx ·
    • Hide content

Personally Im not having a veil, not for any other reason other than just not wanting one... Like most of us i ALWAYS had pic in my head of exactly what i want to look like on my wedding day and a veil was never there....
    BUT i do love the look of a veil on other brides i think they are very pretty and look really nice :-)
    Just not for me x

• KEG
    Beginner February 2009
    KEG ·
    • Hide content

I'm nay too, I never had one, numerous reasons, I personally have never liked them, it would'ent have gone with my dress or crown, also it was a civil ceremony.

Have a good think, because you wouldent want to regret making the wrong decision. As somebody else said maybe take it off later on for pics with and without.

• Cosmopolitan
    Beginner August 2010
    Cosmopolitan ·
    • Hide content

I'm having one but only because it goes with my dress.

I think it depends on what style you're going for. But I would second what everyone has said about having a veil in October, some of those pics are fab.

• S
    Beginner February 2010
    Serafina ·
    • Hide content

I do like the look of veils- on some people and in some venues.

I'm not having one because In think it would be OTT for my particular wedding. I think my dress is less subtle than I'd initally planned so I'm going to 'dress it down' with less formal hair and accessories.

• debs1701
    Beginner
    debs1701 ·
    • Hide content

I got my dress last year and was definately against veils until a few months ago when my mum said she wanted to buy me something for the day.

I thought a veil wouldn't sit right as I have naturally curly hair and am opting for the half up/half down style.

I went to the shop I bought my dress from only wanting a short veil and was able to try a few on with the sample dress and ended up with a elbow length one that I fell in love with, it just adds to the whole bride look IMO and as the lady in the shop said, it's only time you will ever get to wear one.

So I would say go try a few on with your dress if you can and then decide, it's the only way you are going to be sure ?

• Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content

For me it's a yay. I said from the off I'd have a veil or tiara, not both. I tried on a few tiaras and decided that they are not really 'me'. I've only gone for a short veil as it's more subtle imo, I wanted it to be an accessory rather than a feature.

Here's my veil;

I have it made my theweddingveilshop.co.uk, so it's to my specification and only cost £40.

I'm not wearing it over my face, but have a 2 layer one and the single layer one's look a bit weak to me.

• boogiebelle
    Beginner August 2009
    boogiebelle ·
    • Hide content

I'm another yay. I always have wanted one though.

I'm not a fan of having it over my face so have gone for an elbow length one which I will wear quite low at the back of my head. Just made me feel much more bridal when I tried it on and as others have said, when else would you ever get to wear one.

My advice would be to try a few on with your dress to see if you like the look of it. You won't know unless you try one on.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics