Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner May 2013

Wedding venue has increased prices by 30%

lolly1970, 30 September, 2012 at 11:23 Posted on Planning 0 4

We booked a local barn for our wedding, to keep costs down we planned a late wedding and straight through to an evening reception. The price we were quoted was approximately £2500 based on their menu and drinks lists at that time. The venue has recently published a new price list and increases are around 30%,, for the exact same package we are now looking at £3300! As an example the drinks package has gone from £8.75 to £12.95 and a hog roast has gone from £16.50 to £22.50 per head. I have found better packages in a local hotel and am seriously thinking I should cancel and move venue, however, the terms and conditions say if I cancel I have to pay 25% of the value of the package. Does anyone know if this is legally enforceable? I feel that they have broken the terms of our agreement therefore why should I pay them? Grateful for any help or advice.?

4 replies

Latest activity by rachel2012, 30 September, 2012 at 17:13
  • S
    Beginner December 2013
    sugarloaf ·
    • Hide content

Have they told you that they're going to charge you the higher price? It sounds to me (although I could be wrong) that they're saying this is what they'll charge people who book after X date. Given you booked before X date, and you have a quote (and possibly a contract? or at least have the quote in writing?) I'd be presuming that you'd be paying the price you were quoted. (Although I have noticed lines like "Although we will attempt to keep to these prices, market forces may dictate alterations in price" or something like that on venue websites)

Maybe worth talking to Citizen's Advice?

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

What does your contract say? mine says that my venue reserve the right to raise the price quoted + agreed. I can't imagine they'll suddenly bump the cost up for us as they refurbished a couple of years ago but it was the risk I chose to take after reading the terms and conditions.

If your contract doesn't say they can do this then would definately seek advice from the citizens advice bureau.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

It really depends what is in the contract if it says price subject to change etc then sadly your tied to the contract in which case any lose of deposit etc would stand.

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

I'd give them a call and say that you have noticed that their prices have increased since you booked,but that you are hoping that they will honour the original price quoted as you have already paid a deposit- I'm sure they would rather keep your custom,it would be bad form to increase the prices after a deposit has been paid.

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

R venue has increased the prices but because we already have it booked we still get that years prices, if they haven't actually told you that your paying that price I would talk to them and see what they.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics