Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner October 2017

Wedding Venue - Refund!!

ExpensiveYellowConfetti904, 20 of July of 2017 at 17:00 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone has any advice. My wedding venue appeared to be all I wanted during their sales pitch, however since paying the deposit I was sent a contract that did not hold all of the information they were asking me to sign for. I asked for further details regarding their terms and conditions, on reading these they were not anything I would have agreed to when handing over any money! We have paid half of the wedding so far and now we are being told of various, items we are expected to pay and conditions of the venue we must agree to which would mean massive compromises on our day that should have been highlighted in the initial stages by the hotel. I want to cancel as I feel so unhappy about getting married there, but where do I stand on losing the money? We have also forked out the fees for the registrar etc on top of this! The venue have stated it is a non-refundable deposit but surely if they have witheld information or made false promises then I have some grounds - I also don't want to lose out on paying the registrar fees - if we move venue we will also change the date resulting in further fees - any ideas whether these fees are transferable as I have been informed that they are not?

3 replies

Latest activity by ExpensiveYellowConfetti904, 4 of August of 2017 at 18:00
  • H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

Once you book the registrar you're booked at the venue named and the license is valid any date from when you give notice to the date you planned to be married. But only for that venue.

Changing venue will mean you'll have to rebook and give notice all over again.

As for the venue, did you pay deposit on a credit card? Sometimes the credit card company can recover the money if the venue is not delivering, I think you're wedding insurance only works for people you have a contract with but it might be worth contacting them anyway.

Really you could do with legal advice, try citizens advice maybe? Or is there an ombudsman for this sort of thing?

What sort of conditions were they imposing?

Normally there's a liability clause, but that's what your insurance is for, there are fines for corkage if the venue is meant to be supplying the alcohol because they're protecting their profits. What could they have possibly imposed that was so disagreeable to you?

But yeah, contact wedding insurance and maybe citizens advice, or the credit card company if it applies

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

So you havent signed anything?

dont, disute it but dont sign it... currently you havent agreed to their terms which means you dont have to uphold them and there is no contract between you and the venue yet

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think you need to call Trading Standards. My understanding is that the supplier must issue the T&C's before you pay for them to be valid. Paying the retainer only holds you to the terms you knew about.

• E
    Beginner October 2017
    ExpensiveYellowConfetti904 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all, luckily I have managed to sort out the outstanding issues, however now I have decided to add a few extra guests to the daytime list I am now being charged a different rate - I hope I will be able to deal with this next problem!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics