Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

bambi7
Beginner September 2013

Wedding Venue - Rowhill Grange or Danson House??

bambi7, 17 January, 2012 at 11:28 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone has had a wedding are going to at one of the above locations?

I have visited both and I am bit stuck as to where to go. I wanted a venue that is close by to where I live. I am having a vintage theme and both venue's work well with this. The problem I am having is weighing up the pros and cons.

Both venues will be used for the ceremony, breakfast and reception.

Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts!! ?

Thanks X

11 replies

Latest activity by Nenas, 17 January, 2012 at 15:10
  • Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content

Have you looked at Hall Place? I've seen weddings going on in there before, the hall is lovely.

Don't know about Rowhill Grange but Danson House always looks nice and you could get some great pics in the park and near the lake Smiley smile

ETA - not sure if Hall PLace can do ceremony's - they might, i just don't know for sure having re-read your post. And it may be a little TOO vintage, what with being all Tudor or whatever it is! Pretty none the less!

• bambi7
    Beginner September 2013
    bambi7 ·
    • Hide content

We have look at Hall Place, they do ceremony's and it is really pretty but the only problem with these grand places is the rich colours inside. It is hard to work with a colour scheme. Danson House have 3 different rooms, two of which would work with my blue and pink colour scheme. I know it sounds hideous ? (as a lot of people have told me) but I have seen images of where it can be done tastefully and uniquely.

Your right, danson have lovely grounds and I especially love the steps leading up to the house....very grand.

The problem I am having is deciding whether the decor of a venue is more important than what the venue has to offer? Danson has lovely rooms but I would also need to hire a marquee for the reception and a bar and another load of flowers and decorations. Whereas Rowhill decor is plain, carpet is horrible (thinking or hiring a dance floor to cover it) but they have rooms to stay, a bar already there and a lot more thrown in the package.

Sorry to harp on, it is just so hard to make a decision on a venue. I feel like I am going round in circles.

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content

Will your budget help make your decision? I know marquees and everything you need to put in them can work out to be very expensive.

Do you think people will notice the carpet - is it that horrible? Our venue is great in that its pretty enough in itself that we don't have to decorate the hell out of it just to make it look nice. If there's nice rooms then just fit your decorations into the feel of the room. With plain decor you run the risk of stuffing it full of decorations just to make it look nice, and then spend a fortune doing so.

Sorry, not being much help I don't think!

• M
    Beginner December 2012
    MrsBradford2B ·
    • Hide content

Hi There!

Personally I think Rowhill Grange is lovely and the fact the decor is neutral is great as it won't clash with your colour scheme! I am getting married at the sister hotel of Rowhill Grange and I am so glad I chose it as the staff are just fab!

When are you planning on getting married? As season can change the look of the venue?

Thanks Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner December 2012
    MrsBradford2B ·
    • Hide content

Hi There,

I think Rowhill Grange is a beautiful venue and the fact the decor is neutral is great as it won't clash with your colour scheme! Personally I think the wedding room there has enough individual features so that you wouldn't need to decorate very much. The colours are nesutral so they won't clash with your colour scheme!!

I have actually booked my wedding with their sister Hotel in Horley and I am so glad I did as the staff are just fab Smiley smile

When are you thinking of getting married as this can change the look of the Hotel?

Thanks Smiley smile

• bambi7
    Beginner September 2013
    bambi7 ·
    • Hide content

No, you are being a lot of help. It is good to talk to someone neutral on the situation.

My mother prefers Danson as it has the unique grandness and my partner prefers Rowhill as you get a lot more bang for your buck. I am torn between the two.

I see what you are saying when it comes to going OTT on the decorations, there is a small line between pretty and tacky.

Rowhill are wanting just over 10K for the top package (lots of wine, champagne, canapés, 5 course meal, toastmaster, stationary and the honeymoon suite) for 80 guests for the ceremony & breakfast, which I think is great. Danson will cost that and some (when you think about the extra bits, bar and decorations) for just 50 guest.

To be honest, I am swaying more towards Rowhill but Danson is so pretty! Just need to win the lottery for that one I guess.

It looks like you are very lucky with your venue, the decor does make so much difference.

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

a friendly piece of advice... Don't let your mother (or anyone else for that matter) dictate your wedding. By all means take on board their ideas, but it is down to you and you OH alone to decide what you want. I have no idea what your relationship with your mum is like, so all may be well, but its best to set the boundaries early on so everyone knows where they stand.

as for which venue to go with...they both seem to have their pros and cons!

• bambi7
    Beginner September 2013
    bambi7 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi, we are thinking early September 2013 which means they will attempt having the cermoney in gazebo outside....which is stunning. I just hope it doesnt rain as inside I am not 100% on.

I must say the staff do seem great, I went to their open on Sunday just gone and they were lovely.

What I do like about the inside is the beams going across, I have seen some lovely pictures with decs around them which really spice the place up.

How many guest are you having at yours?

• bambi7
    Beginner September 2013
    bambi7 ·
    • Hide content

:-D

We do have a good relationship, I am not afraid to tell her no. I think what I am finding difficult is I agree with both my mum and my partner choices, I just need to weigh each pro and con up....like you said.

God I hope decision making gets easier after the venue has been decided....Please tell me it does

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

not really!

Oh, this is just the beginning... ?

• bambi7
    Beginner September 2013
    bambi7 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lets just hope I get better at doing it then! ?

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

you'll be fine... it actually does get easier because you work out what is and isn't important to you, and spend your time and energy deciding on the stuff that matters, and then just going for anything for what doesn't bother you (i.e., i don't really care much for flowers, so just went with what the florist suggested, but we spent a long time thinking about what photographer to go with)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics