Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Paige
Curious August 2023 Berkshire

Wedding venue shut till 22 so cant book and getting married in 2023

Paige, 4 of March of 2021 at 23:47 Posted on Planning 0 5
Hi, I'm supposed to be getting married in August 2023, however the venue we were due to book this summer has informed me they are shut until 2022 as the hotel is changing hands! I dont know whether to give up with this venue and start searching for a new one, or if we should chance it and wait, as I know registrars are booking up fast and I cant book my ceremony without a venue and August is a popular month to get married! Any advice would be really appreciated, as I'm feeling very disappointed deflated right now. TIA

5 replies

Latest activity by RomanticBrownStationery29719, 6 of March of 2021 at 23:47
  • RomanticBrownStationery29719
    Dedicated
    RomanticBrownStationery29719 ·
    • Hide content
    Will they still host weddings after the change? Bit risky to rely on that. I would propably look for something else tbh.... also if they say open 2022 is that january or later in the year? That will influence your time frame too....
  • Paige
    Paige ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, they say that they will still be hosting weddings, but the company taking over will introduce their own prices and packages (which will probably lead to increase). They can't give me an opening date, name, nothing, as apparently no contracts have been signed yet, they're just being processed. So gutted and overwhelmed, we have looked everywhere around our area (by everywhere I mean a good 30 mile radius). Every other venue we like is way over our budget (our initial favourite venue was 3.5K over budget), this one fulfilled everything we wanted perfectly within our budget. We are just at a bit of a loss.

Dedicated
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Well there will be definitely a price increase if they change owners. Most venues raise yearly a bit an with covid some significant..our venue was very reasonable but they also increased their prices for new bookings from next year by 100% to come closer to others in the area and cover covid losses. They obviously honour existing bookings. If I were you and budget is restricted(not sure what yours is) then I wouldn't get my heart set on that venue and look around. Because its very much possible they end up above your budget once they reopen.... unless you got some wiggle room. We have to drive 1h to our venue but its worth it as it cost us 2.5k for hire (including cash bar, chairs, plates, glasses etc. tables, music system /stage, marquee, some decor like fairy lights) compared to 5k+ on venues we saw closer to Edinburgh. From next year weekends are 5-6k there. Not includingfood but allowto bring own caterersin which is cheaper than most venues...wedding venues are just money makers and if someone takes over then its to run a profit. So I would expect prices to raise significant especially after covid causing so much rescheduling. Hope you find somewhere nice
  • Paige
    Paige ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This place was already nearly an hour away, theres not much wiggle room in the budget I'm a student and our parents cant help much so its relying mostly on what I can squirrel away from irregular part time work and my partners income. Dèspite this we still have a decent budget for Venue and food at £8k ceiling, but living and getting married in the home counties (Berkshire, Hampshire, Surrey) comes at a massive price hike (think 9.5-10k+ ?). We will just have to keep searching and hope we find something semi within our budget.
    Dedicated
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Maybe look into town halls( some can be lovely) or a big airbnb you can hire and have ceremony in garden or so? Our budget was 10k... now are 12k due to rescheduling costs. My breakdown if it helps:

Venue 2.5k
    Food 3k (2 course sit down meal 80 people + tea after and evening snack for 120)Cake 320(3 tier big enough to be dessert=3rd course)Drinks 1000Band 1500Humanist 550Flowers 250Photographer 800Accommodation for us 3 nights 270Invites 50Videographer 700(this was a add on that got us over budget but due to pandemic realised we wanted it as memory)Dress-paid by my family
    Kilt- paid by fiances family Hair/make up 120
    All the above is about 12.5k.... as we pay all ourselves except the clothes we didn't want to go any higher. So its like 10.5k on us and about 2k for kilt /dress(even though you can get lovely dresses for under £500 and hire a kilt, my partner just needed a new one anyway/ wears one to family celebrations anyway and my mum gave me a generous budget)
    Just saying its totally doable. We get married on a Sunday to keep costs down. And some hotels actually have great packages if you don't mind going a bit off season (october-march) too. Good luck dont give up!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics