Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner April 2015

Wedding venue won't respond to me!

a-cheap-date, 15 of November of 2013 at 13:30 Posted on Planning 0 14

We thought we had found our dream venue in Cheshire - lovely barn and for 100 day guests having 3-courses and the usual drinks plus 130 evening guests all catered for it came in at £4,450!!!

I don't want to mention their name as I don't want to badmouth them just yet but I don't know what to do - we want to book but the lady is making it very difficult! I started off being slightly Bridezilla-y as I had heard it was very reasonable and so when I hadn't heard by lunch I called to make an appointment (and explained that I was just excited and wanted to see it asap so thought I'd just call instead). Anyway, we were busy at the weekend and wouldn't get back until early afternoon. She kindly offered a Sunday appointment at 3pm. When our plans fell threw, I called to see whether it was better for her to do the Saturday or earlier and emailed to say the same, in case she doesn't pick up voicemails but said I would assume we were still on unless I heard otherwise.

Having got no response, we went to the meeting as planned and she was very friendly (as she had been on the phone the first time). We expressed a keen interest and my fiance said he would probably call and pay the deposit after 17 November, when he gets paid. She promised to send us the menus but by Thursday I had heard nothing. I therefore chased by email and confirmed we were very interested but that we would need the menus and Ts and Cs to book.

It's now another 24 hours and nothing.

I'm worried how they would be if we did book i.e. would I be too stressed. But equally, we've scoured the internet for other places and nothing else compares for that price or anything near that price. We need 100 day guests minimum and so a lot of places are ruled out already.

Any advice / tips would be greatly appreciated.

14 replies

Latest activity by Ohwhatatuesday, 10 of January of 2014 at 07:58
  • lil_2014
    Beginner July 2014
    lil_2014 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear it!! Suppliers not getting back is definitely one of the biggest stresses of the planning process Smiley sad

Is the office at the venue? Could you try and meet her in person if she is not answering calls/emails?

Is the only thing I can think of...

Good luck!

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Keep phoning, harder to ignore Smiley winking

• F
    Beginner February 2014
    Follies123 ·
    • Hide content

I'm afraid you will just have to get used to them taken an AGE to get back to you. I am a stresser and if people haven't got back to me within 35 seconds I want to ring them and say what are you playing at (sound impatient don't I!) ha unfortunately though wedding venues etc are very relaxed as they are doing it on a daily basis and tend not to be on as high alert about everything as we are. Whilst I'm not saying this is right unfortunately it does appear to be the way in the wedding world and if I were you I would just bear this in mind when you contact them, that way if you get a response earlier than expected its a bonus! My hairdresser was taking on average 4 weeks to reply to a one line e-mail!! Grrrr!!

• Penny P
    Beginner March 2014
    Penny P ·
    • Hide content

I know exactly how you feel, I have been in a similar position.

I phoned emailed and even went there in person but it still took ages to get the place booked. I'm still having trouble now.

I know Christmas is coming and venues are busy but my wedding is coming too! I'm getting all Bridezilla!!

I hope you have better luck than me

x

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    a-cheap-date ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your responses. In a weird way - reassured me I'm not the only one, but then equally, I can see now why people say weddings are so stressful if the whole wedding business is so laid back about things! The office isn't at the venue otherwise I'd feel like marching down!!!

I suppose I will have to wait it out and try to be patient but patience isn't a virtue I possess and even the most laid-back of people would find this wedding-standard slow response hard to deal with I imagine!!

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

You would think she would be trying to get you booked ASAP! Do they do other events there other than weddings that could be keeping her busy? And is she the only coordinator? X

• missmandymoo
    Dedicated August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content

My venue generally respond within 24 hours. My photographer usually respond within a week. And my band takes 2 days.

It's easy to get frustrated because it's your wedding but these suppliers have to deal with your wedding as well as many others. I used to get annoyed when I don't get a response within the same day but wedding planning has taught me that you have to be patience and they will answer your enquiries when your time in the queue comes. I wouldn't fret over 24 hours, maybe give her a few more days.

• B
    Beginner September 2014
    BigRedCandle ·
    • Hide content

As a lot of other people have said, some suppliers just take longer than others to reply, and most of them will have good reason for doing so. My reception venue contact has told me that she will be happy to chat next year (wedding isn't until September) but she is extremely busy with Christmas at the moment, so I accepted that my September wedding is of no interest to her right now!

Saying that, it took me a full 3 months to book my table, chair and linen hire, and there was absolutely no reason for it to take that long (unfortunately I have to use this supplier, its either that or we're sitting on the floor) so unfortunately in that case I had to just grit my teeth and put up with it.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

I'll always try to respond in under 24 hours, but try email me on a Thursday evening I might not respond until late Sunday as I might be at weddings for the Friday and Saturday.

I used to reply as soon as emails came in but I found I never got any work done and emails turned into conversations which would of been better addressed via phone.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Very frustrating but try not to panic yet.

If I were you I would call them as you're more likely to get a response this way.

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    a-cheap-date ·
    • Hide content

OK thanks everyone - I suppose 5 days to send some menus and things seemed quite a while but, like you said, I suppose she has other events on taking priority like you said and it's better that she takes care of that. I suppose it just seems so odd as normally any hint of a sale and people move heavens to close it!!!! But I suppose she doesn't need to if it's good value for money.

• Bride2Bmarch15
    Beginner March 2015
    Bride2Bmarch15 ·
    • Hide content

She may have wedding over weekend give it until Monday afternoon

• S
    Beginner November 2016
    Sudobride ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I had the same with my venue until someone pointed out to me that this is their job, not their spare time. You said she offered to meet you on a Sunday, I imagine she would have been working on the Saturday too, probably until late into the evening or even early Sunday morning so she has to have time off at some point and thats most likely to be mid week. Before it was pointed out I hadn't considered that they didn't work 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, I just thought they should just always be available when I needed to speak to them! :-/ You will find that the contact gets more frequent the closer you get to the date. Hope this helps and puts you more at ease!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Its worth remembering that if they have lots of wedding on, finalising details of weddings coming up is going to be a higher priority than initial booking for ages ahead. I know it's there business but it's worth remembering theyve probably got tons of requests from tons of brides at all different stages of the process and the ones coming up where a quick response is going to make a big difference to their day probably takes priority. Five days doesn't seem that long to wait. Hold out and see how it goes.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics