Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner September 2016

Wedding venues in Essex- preferably barn/vintage locations with good value packages. Any advice?

drbride, 22 of June of 2015 at 17:38 Posted on Planning 0 16

My partner and I have looked at only 2 so far:

The Lawn, Rochford- too expensive for our budget, although very beautiful, but too grand for us!

Ye Olde Plough House, Bulphan- liked the fact it was a barn venue, didn't actually like the venue. We plan to get married at our venue (preferably) and the inside ceremony room was a pokey conference room and the whole place looked very tired. We did love the the gardens however, and really loved the prices!

We would really prefer a package place as neither of us are that into the wedding planning, would prefer to have someone else sort it all out Smiley winking we're on a fairly tight budget. We're looking all over Essex area. We have 100 guests. Preferably a barn/vintage type place.

Any ideas or suggestions? If you got married in a similar place would love to hear the prices as so many places don't give them upfront and don't want to waste days travelling to places we could never afford!

Thanks in advance!!

16 replies

Latest activity by Bruce Neville Photography, 27 of July of 2015 at 16:48
  • MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

Gaynes Park, Epping?

Blake Hall, Ongar?

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Welcome to hitched. I haven't been to all of these, but some have the tariffs on their websites:

http://www.weddingbarnessex.co.uk/weddings/

http://www.crabbsbarn.co.uk/

http://www.smeethamhall.co.uk/

http://www.thebarnbrasserie.co.uk/weddings/

• D
    Beginner September 2016
    drbride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much!

I do really like the look of Crabbs barn and their package looks pretty affordable. I ideally want the bulk of venue/reception/entertainment for under 10k. Most of the others don't seem to be as affordable from their websites...

Definitely booking a visit to Crabbs barn Smiley smile

• M.Y.Wedding Photography
    M.Y.Wedding Photography ·
    • Hide content

How about: The Reid Rooms at Margaret Roding, near Chelmsford?

http://www.thereidrooms.co.uk

• M.Y.Wedding Photography
    M.Y.Wedding Photography ·
    • Hide content

^^^

Crabbs barn is beautiful and has a great reviews here on Hitched (Home > wedding venues > by county - Essex > Crabbs Barn)!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

I'd second Crabbs barn and Maidens barn as mentioned above. Both are lovely venues.

It's also worth looking a Creeksea place barns. I know you said you'd prefer a package, but the prices are great and would more than make up for a little bit of extra planning I think. We shot a wedding there on Saturday and it was perfect, so beautiful.

Reid rooms is also nice if you're planning an outdoor ceremony, but their indoor ceremony space isn't the best.

Channels is also worth a look and reasonably priced.

Crondon Park is lovely, but I think may come in over budget.

• D
    Beginner September 2016
    drbride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the suggestions! My main worry with non-package weddings is that I have no idea how much it will cost in the end and with a tight budget I just feel slightly more in control with a package- probably not true though!

I've sent off for a load of brochures: Crabbs barn, Maidens barn, Channels and Reid rooms all seem lovely and (hopefully!) around my budget. Wish the was a comparison wedding venue site with prices though Smiley winking

Thanks again!

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    Laurensmum ·
    • Hide content

I went to a Wedding at Blake Hall, Ongar last weekend.

It was a simply stunning location. The barn was made up absolutely beautiful. Can not big up this place anymore!! To do so would be doing the place a massive dis-service to the place.

I have no idea how much it cost, but the bride and groom would have had a healthy budget.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Blake Hall is a stunning stunning venue, but I don't think it comes cheap.

If you could consider a weekday wedding, you'd save oodles on a venue though ?

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    SunnyBrownDiamonds138 ·
    • Hide content

Blake hall was on my short list, ended up way to expensive for what you got. Friern manor isn't a barn but is stunning and reasonably priced.

Havent been but there is a new venue in Chelmsford just opened, Houchins , friends said it was nice.

• D
    Beginner September 2016
    drbride ·
    • Hide content

We've decided on The Reid Rooms! Thanks for all your suggestions! Now trying to decide whether to take them up on their package or sort it ourselves- which would be better value :s feel much less overwhelmed now we have a place/date though.

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

I have just got back from photographing a Hitchers wedding at Crabbs Barn, fantastic venue and service from Paul and his team, cant fault it, lovely venue.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah Paul is wonderful isn't he Bruce!? Glad you enjoyed your day there. They certainly do look after you there ?

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

The Old Kent Barn is absolutely stunning!

Excellent staff and facilities!

• C
    Beginner May 2016
    CLRNash ·
    • Hide content

I am looking at booking Crabbs barn for my wedding. One of my concerns is the ceremony space, does anyone know if a backdrop behind the ceremony table would work? What have other brides previously done?

Also look for an entertainer / singer / band... Any suggestions?!

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I just replied to your email you sent me Smiley smile

Bruce

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics