Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2015

wedding venues in Essex - so overwhelmed!

SunnyBrownDiamonds138, 17 of April of 2014 at 01:14 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hi, I got engaged last week and have been looking at venues in Essex over the last few days. Getting so confused with all the prices and keeping track.

Has anyone got any suggestions? We are looking at spending no more than 10-12k on everything, have roughyly 70 daytime guests and 100 evening guests. We are in Brentwood and having a church wedding so just looking for the reception venue. We quite like the barn style or country manor/house and dont mind a thursday or friday wedding to cut costs.

17 replies

Latest activity by Ohwhatatuesday, 19 of April of 2014 at 12:32
  • B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

Spains Hall is fantastic and so is Gosfield Hall, Gosfield Hall is a lot larger and stately home type of venue but stunning.

• S
    Beginner October 2014
    Sheldon ·
    • Hide content

https://www.leez-priory.co.uk/

We viewed here when we were having out wedding down south, its beautiful. Only reason our wedding isnt here is we decided to have it in Chester where we live.

• K
    Beginner August 2014
    KyleighB ·
    • Hide content

https://www.blakehall.co.uk/

I loved this place but it was just too far for us

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Parklands(Quendon) does some good midweek discounts.

I assume that your church is in/near Brentwood. What sort of distance are you happy for you and your guests to travel from there to the venue?

Peter

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married at Gaynes Park, its just stunning! Also look at Blakehall, that's also lovely but very reliant on good weather! Hanbury manor is also lovely c

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

I second Gaynes park if you're looking for somewhere fairly local, it's a beautiful venue.

Friern manor and Blake Hall are also gorgeous and again, local ?

Others I can think of offhand are Marygreen Manor,

Channels, Maidens Barn and Great Baddow barn (which are all roughly Chelmsford way, so not too far)

• Rob Pack Photography
    Rob Pack Photography ·
    • Hide content

I would also give my vote to Gaynes Park. Its got a lot going for it with a beautiful walled garden, great views out over the Epping / Essex countryside and a good sized converted barn for the meal / dancing.

I guess, as has been said, how far you are happy for your guests to travel after the Church service - allowing for traffic, people getting lost(!) etc. There are loads to choose from but hopefully you can narrow it down. Most brides tell me that once they start visiting venues, one always stands out as the one for them - good luck!!

• S
    Beginner July 2015
    suzannelewington ·
    • Hide content

Im getting married at Friern Manor in Dunton so close to Brentwood. They are amazing and everyone has raved about their food to me. They are affordable to and I love the place, obviously Im biast though and we have a smaller budget than you so should be affordable xx

• P
    Beginner August 2014
    parma violets ·
    • Hide content

Try Crabbs Barn. It is beautiful and they have been really helpful. when are you looking to marry? What time of year are you looking at?

• S
    Beginner July 2015
    suzannelewington ·
    • Hide content

Crabbs barn is beautiful!! My fsil got married there and it was seriously one of the best weddings ive been to xx

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

I would recommend Crondon Park in Stock, it's beautiful and I'm not getting married there on Monday!

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    SunnyBrownDiamonds138 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all of your suggestions so far, have been checking them all out. ive found it hard to get prices for gaynes or crondon park which is a shame, but I have done some extensive research to give me 6 venues to go and view-

Blake hall

Channels

Friern manor

Warley park

Stock brook

Orsett hall

I ideally dont want my guests to have to go more than 20-30 mins from brentwood church to venue. Havent been to a church wedding where the venue to seperate so don't know whats acceptable?

• sweetlikechocolate
    Dedicated May 2016
    sweetlikechocolate ·
    • Hide content

Gaynes park is quite expensive if you want a friday sat or sunday in summer it will be over 12k with food/drink for 70 guests ( thats what we were quoted for). We were looking at a thursday in august and it was almost 11,500.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have photographed many weddings over the years where the travel between church and venue is over 30 minutes. This does mean that some will take longer. As long as all the guests have a mode of transport, its not too bad. I had one wedding where the ceremony was in Chelsea and the reception was at Down Hall(Essex/Herts border). Some guests came by train to Harlow and then taxis.....many were late arrivals.

If the venue is a "straight run" on a main road, distance is less relevant than if you are going across country IYSWIM.

Peter

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Another worth considering is The Manor of Groves. Its near Sawbridgeworth, so only just over the border from Essex. Some very reasonable midweek deals are available...

Peter

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

Ahhhh I miss this part, looking at venues was one of my favourite bit about wedding planning!!

We went to see (we are a bit further up the a12 in colchester)

Crabbs Barn, Kelvedon

Maidens Barn, Chelmsford

Blake Hall, Chippin Ongar

Marks Hall, Marks Tey

Crondon Park, Stock

Smeetham Hall Barn, Bulmer, Suffolk

And our winner Vaulty Manor, Maldon Smiley smile

Enjoy this bit it is fun so take your time - you'll know once you go and see!!!! Also order the brochures throught the hitched search they are always a fun read Smiley smile Post back once you've picked!! Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner February 2014
    LucyLou1987 ·
    • Hide content

Hi congratulations! I was in the same situation and on the same budget last year! We booked stock brook as well fell in love with it and the package we chose was affordable compared to some of the venues in essex which are beautiful but just so expensive! We are going for a friday at the end of march next year to cut costs, summer isnt the only time of year for nice weather. Good luck! Xx

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Another Essex bride! We are getting married at Crabbs Barn and it would definitely fit your criteria in terms of numbers and budget but I'd worry its a bit far up the A12 for you (although you could organise a coach or something similar if you were really interested).

We looked at a few venues in Essex but they were all a bit further away from you. Crondon is gorgeous - I'm not sure what the prices are like but it is a really lovely venue (we went to a wedding fair here after we'd picked our venue to go and see our florists who were there). Stockbrook is also beautiful for wedding and I've heard really good things about it (my gym is based at stockbrook and I love seeing people all suited and booted for weddings when I'm parking my car on Fridays and Saturdays!).

As Goldpants says, venue hunting is one of the best bits! It's weird because it feels overwhelming at the time, but looking back I loved it, and I love that feeling of finding your venue too.

When you're ready to look there's also a great thread on here about reviews of wedding dress shops in Essex, which will be worth a search!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics