Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner January 2010

WEDDING VENUES IN GLOUCESTERSHIRE

bridetobehaha, 4 June, 2009 at 13:44 Posted on Planning 0 20

Hi, does anyone know of any or can recommend any good wedding venues around Gloucester / Cheltenham / , we would like a civil ceremony and the meal at the same place, or a church wedding and a lovely venue for the reception elswhere.?

20 replies

Latest activity by bridetobehaha, 15 June, 2009 at 12:41
  • Ms T
    Ms T ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome!

Are you from the area or just looking to get married there? There are so many lovely venues around.

I got married in Gloucester but it was at my parents' local parish church St Catharine's and then had our reception at The Frogmill which no longer is in business but there are lots of Cotswold style venues similar to it around.

My sister had her reception at Prestbury House which had lovely grounds (married same church as us).

Some of the old Cotswold churches around near the Oxfordshire border are lovely as are some of the Forest of Dean ones. Or you could try somewhere like The Pittville Pump Rooms or one of the Clearwell Castle. There are some lovely barn venues around Cirencester (names escape me).

Ruth (can never rememeber her name on here) is a wedding planner from the area so she'll be more on the ball than me but there are some fantastic places around.

I think your best bet is to just think exactly where you want to get married in terms of area and then hunt around.

• K
    Beginner April 2010
    kelkel ·
    • Hide content

Hi There

I am a Gloucestershire bride, there are some beautiful venues in and around the cotswolds i suppose it does depend on numbers, budget etc

We are getting married at the Hare and Hounds at Westonbirt - We went to a wedding there last August and it was perfect - Beautiful grounds, the food and staff were excellent - they have recently had a refubishment and the hotel looks fab - Very classy with a country twist. We managed to negotiate a 15% discount on food and accommadtion there prices are actually very reasonable i would reccomend you have alittle look round !

Here is the link - The hotel is actually part of a group of hotels they have a number of hotels in the cotswolds that do weddings, we also went to see the bear at rodborough and that was also lovely , although not big enough for our numbers - I cant really comment on other venues - I ve been to weddings at Stonehouse Court and Tortworth court and they were both Fab also

http://www.cotswold-inns-hotels.co.uk/property/hare_and_hounds_hotel.htm

Hope that helps, Happy Planning ! ?

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

Hooray gloucestershire brides I often feel like the only one.

Bride tobe haha there are loads of lovely venues around the area it depends what you want.

We are getting married in church but having our reception at Kingscote barn it has a licencnce for cvil ceramonys and is a lovely venue.

http://www.kingscotebarn.co.uk

If you like Barns there is also the great Tithe barn in Tetbury

http://www.gtb.co.uk

or Cripps Barn near cirencester.

http://www.crippsbarn.com

Bishops cleeve near Cheltenham has a Tythe barn which is also lovely.

Tortworth court looks a stunning hotel venue and a friend went to a wedding their said it was lovely.

Other nice venues I can think of off the top of my head are

Luckington court

http://www.luckingtoncourt.co.uk

Westonbirt Arbortum

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-7nah4m

Dumbleton Hall (Just outside gloucestershire but lovely)

http://www.dumbletonhall.co.uk/

Pitville Pump Rooms Cheltenham

ohh if you are prepaired t travel out of gloucestshire then you can get married/ have reception

at the Roman Baths in Bath and the Bath assembly rooms

http://www.bathvenues.co.uk/weddings.aspx

Stonehouse court near Stroud is a lovely venue and we had lovely food at a wedding we went to there

http://www.stonehousecourt.co.uk/

There is the matra centre which always looks amazing in photos

http://www.matara.co.uk

Ummm (I know loads more) Can you tell I did a lot of research before we picked our venue?

Kelkel

Wow the hare and hounds is lovely and really near where I grew up, I might have to pick your brain for supplier tips.

xx

• B
    Beginner January 2010
    bridetobehaha ·
    • Hide content

Hi, thanks for your comments, we both live in Longlevens now, ( I was born in Birmingham but moved to Newent in 1987) we have got a brochure for Dumbleton Hall which looks lovely, I am also lokking at Hatton Court , Stonehouse Court have not got back to us yet, I have been to a wedding at Cripps Barn and it was lovely but think it might be a bit far out for us, We are also going to a wedding at the Matara Centre in July. We have also got brochures foe a couple of venues towards Ross-on -wye. kingscote Barn looks great !!!

• J
    Beginner July 2009
    Jowheeler2b ·
    • Hide content

Hi

We're getting married at The Matara Centre nr Tetbury in July.

Its a really gorgeous venue and ideal if you want something a bit different.

The wedding co-orinator is excellent and you can do pretty much whatever you want.

I do warn though that it is quite pricey.

www.matara.co.uk

• B
    Beginner January 2010
    bridetobehaha ·
    • Hide content

Hi, my cousin is getting married at the Matara Centre on July 11th, he is doing the catering for the evening do himself, and they have bought all the drink themselves from France, it is supposed to be a very spiritual place?

• Ms T
    Ms T ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I lived in Longlevens until I was 12 and my sister lives back there now (all my lot are there and there abouts). Small world!

• J
    Beginner July 2009
    Jowheeler2b ·
    • Hide content

Hi Bridetobehaha,

When you said you had a wedding in July at matara I did wonder for a minute if you were one of my guests. hehe.

Our wedding is on the friday 17th. We've also bought our own alcohol and have hired an outside catering company.

Its quite spiritual and very chinese inspired.

I hope your cousin has a lovely wedding and of course you enjoy too

• Finesse (HIB)
    Finesse (HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Hi B2Bhaha

As mentioned already I'm a wedding planner from Cheltenham and know Gloucestershire venues really well. Do you know what numbers you have for your sit down?

Dumbleton is lovely and I really enjoy working there, the staff are fantastic as is the house, rooms and grounds. Stonehouse Court is perfect too if you are looking for an outdoor ceremony (with plan B option) as is Matara (well it is held in the courtyard around the ponds, no seatin). Regarding the church wedding, did you say you are in Longlevens? That makes your parish church Holy Trinity which is a nice church. Or if you have any connection or attend a different church you can look to marry there.

What style of venue are you looking for? Cotswold? Modern? Regency? Also have you worked out your budget yet? Until you have this decided you won't know what venue will suit. For example, Kingscote Barn which is another lovely venue charges you a venue hire fee anywhere between £1500 and £3250 just for the hire, then you have venues such as The Queens Hotel which charges a per head price (approx £60-£80pp) with no hire fee.

If you want to give me an idea of what style of wedding and price per head then I can offer you some options?

Ruth

x

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

Have a look on This website. All the licensed premised are on here.

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=873

The Greenway at Shurdington is lovely but the ceremony room is quite small. How many guests would you be having to the actual ceremony?

Some venues can accommodate more than one wedding at a time so if you want to be the only bride on the premises you need to bear this in mind. Weddings at Rococo Gardens can be amazing but you risk the weather being bad.

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

Just saw your other post. I would definately check out The Greenway - it's lovely for a small wedding.

• B
    Beginner January 2010
    bridetobehaha ·
    • Hide content

Hi Ruth

Thanks for your comments, at the moment we are looking at a Civil Ceremony and the Wedding Reception at the same venue, have looked at Hatton Court, but they will not cater for you after 5.30pm unless you book exclusive use, which suits us as we are not having an evening do, I also like Parkfields which is a big country house at Pontshill, but it is £1000 for exclusive use plus the cremony fee ( plus registrars fees) plus food and drink, at the moment we are saving hard until next year and will look at our finances, we do not know whether this is too short notice for summer next year??, there will only be 30 guests and that number includes some babies and young children, so it will be very small. We have also considered Cliffords Mesne church as my Grandparents are buried there and it was the family church when I lived in Newent. There are lots of nice venues, may also look at the Dark Barn at Rudford as it is close to my parents house in Newent. Hope we will find somewhere even if we leave it until next year, although it will not stop me looking at dresses, we will probably have a budget between £3000 and £4000 as we are paying for everything ourselves!! I would love to find somewhere somewhere licensed for the ceremony and we could supply our own food and drink, without paying crazy corkage fees.

Bridetobehaha

?

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

If you can leave it nearer the date and dont mind getting married on a weekday Clearwell Castle in the Forest do very good special offers (around £4000 for 60) for ceremony, day meal and and evening buffet and dance.

• C
    Beginner May 2010
    Clarence007 ·
    • Hide content

Hi !

You could try the cheltenham park hotel, part of the barcelo group. we have an event management cmpany and they are generally excellent and easy to work with.

Best wishes

Claire.?

• C
    Beginner May 2010
    Clarence007 ·
    • Hide content

Hi !

You could try the cheltenham park hotel, part of the barcelo group. we have an event management cmpany and they are generally excellent and easy to work with.

Best wishes

Claire.?

• Finesse (HIB)
    Finesse (HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Hi ya

Providing your own food and drink at a venue is usually a no go as this is obviously where they make their money. Some may let you bring in your own wine, but you need to consider the cost of corkage ontop of the cost of the bottle of wine you buy, plus the convenience of the venue dealing with the supply, however, savings can me made.

If you are looking at the church in Newent what about the Three Choirs Vineyard, although I'm not sure they still offer the restaurant to weddings, but it's a fantastic venue, you could even try and include a tour of the vineyard for those interested during the pre reception drinks? You would need to double check if they still do but they are still on the current listing for licensed venues under the Gloucester district

http://www.civilvenuesuk.com/venues/Three_Choirs_Vineyard_Ltd_Civil_Ceremony_Approved_Wedding_Venue.html

Hatton Court is lovely, but obviously a problem with the serving time. Is your total budget £4k or is this just for the venue and food?

Cheltenham park is a nice enough hotel and would be able to cater for your party size as their main room divides down into smaller rooms, but I doubt you would be the only function on that day if you were to go for a Saturday (or even a Friday or Sunday)

If you did want to do your own catering and drink and were on a tight budget, then the Tithe Barn in Bishops Cleeve is one of the only options. It has a smaller room downstairs and a large hall with stage for the disco upstairs. There are kitchens you or a catering company can use and a manned bar. They provide you with the tables and chairs, although I have brought some in before but you can decorate it as you like, you have it for the time you'd like and you can have whatever food you'd like.https://www.cleevetithebarn.org.uk/ You could easily decorate the hall with linings and swagging, which I received quote for £500 to do the whole room including the fairy light drapes for behind the top table although the rough is beautiful and you could decorate with paper lanterns or bunting. It isn't licensed though.

Ruth

x

• Tilly Floss
    Tilly Floss ·
    • Hide content

Another Gloucestershire girl! I can recommend a fab photographer if you've not booked one yet.

• Finesse (HIB)
    Finesse (HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Hi Tilly

Where are you getting married? When's your wedding and who's the photographer?

Ruth

x

• Tilly Floss
    Tilly Floss ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm already married, but live in Gloucestershire, and - as I have a baby who ties me to the sofa - still read across the fora and offer assistance where I can.

Tog is Lisa at www.fellowsphotography.com

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

Hi Bridetobehaha

Just wondered how your wedding venue search was going?

• B
    Beginner January 2010
    bridetobehaha ·
    • Hide content

Hi to drifter, have been told my htb that I have to stop looking as he does not think we will have enough money to get married next year and that we can look next year, I don't really care, I will still look and I think I may take my parents to view one venue I like even if we do marry in 2011 and not 2010, as the venue will still be there.?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics