Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N

Wedding venues near Norwich

norfolk_weddinghellohello, 8 January, 2012 at 13:51 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hi all,

We are looking to get married in Norwich, and are looking for a venue nearby (under 30 mins drive from city). We're a little stuck and are wondering whether any of you lovely people might be able to help us out!

In an ideal world, we'd like a venue that isn't in a hotel and has a good space for eating and dancing. we're looking at having around 100 people for a sit down meal and maybe a few more for dancing.

We've looked at Southwood Hall (http://www.southwoodhall.com/) which was lovely, but outside our price range (about £3000 for venue hire) unfortunately. we've also checked out Dragon Hall (www.dragonhall.org) but the gallery area for dancing is v small.

We like old stuff, so any venues with a sense of history would be great!

If anyone has any thoughts or advice at all, we'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

2 replies

Latest activity by moonstone, 8 January, 2012 at 20:58
  • D
    Beginner September 2012
    Delilah26 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Yaxley Hall is stunning & is an old building with a marquee in the gardens. There's a space for outdoor weddings too if you fancy that. The guys that run it are lovely-I so nearly picked it but went for a venue closer to my home in the end. There is a sliding scale with prices-they can do big expensive weddings & smaller less expensive ones. It's Suffolk technically but only half an hour from Norwich approx.

http://www.yaxleyhall.com/YHweddings.htm

St Giles House also is nice and more old fashioned than modern if that's what you're looking for.

Good luck!

• D
    Beginner September 2012
    Delilah26 ·
    • Hide content

Also Somerleyton Hall is gorgeous & steeped in history but it's about 40 minutes from Norwich. If you go for an informal BBQ or hog roast rather than a three course sit down feast it's more affordable. I seriously considered this place as well!

Hav you looked at The Assembly House in the city centre?

• M
    Beginner April 2012
    moonstone ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

I've been lurking on this forum for a while but not posted until now. I'm getting married on 8th April 2012 in Norwich. So three months today. Exciting!! And a bit scary too! We had so many dilemas over venues in Norwich area as I've been on courses at various wedding venues and we didn't want to use the same venue as friends have. So that cancelled out a fair few...

We finally decided to get married at The Assembly House which is beautiful. We came very close to using them for the whole day but the lack of outdoor space at the back was a problem with the numerous children that we were going to invite! Then we found Southwood Hall which is now our reception venue and stunning also. We loved the contrast between the two venues and feel they both have the wow factor plus they both only do one wedding on a day which was also something important to us. Initally the barn hire charge did put us of also but on having a proper quote done it kind of balanced out with the cost of the food. We are getting married on Easter Weekend as being a Sunday you get the hire charge quite a bit cheaper. The accomdation on site is also lovely. Obviously I don't know your budget but we found other places would charge extra for exclusive use such as Stower Grange (which we also loved and heard really good things about). We have found the people running the Southwood Hall to be really friendly and good on customer service not everyone has created a positive impression. We have had excellent feedback from other suppliers such as photographers which is always nice to hear when you haven't had your day yet. We also found that Dragon Hall wanted to charge £3000 pounds for a wedding also and I didn't think that the area around the Hall was that lovely. The hall is stunning though. We also looked at Kimberley Hall which I thought was gorgeous but was not available for our dates. I also liked Elms Barn in Beccles, Suffolk which isn't that far really but we didn't get to visit this one as again they weren't available for our date but I have heard good things abouttoo. We also loved Lenwade House especially for a summer wedding but again the dates didn't match up for us. I loved their ceremony room and they had lots of accomodation. I liked Weston Park also but we weren't so sure about sharing the space with the golfers and they don't have accomodation plus someone else beat us to our date. I absolutely loved St Giles House it had soo much charm and character. The Walnut room for 50 people is amazing but for your numbers you probably would need to use the resturant which is split by the bar which we thought was less nice. The garden also looks lovely but we didn't think it would provide enough space for up to 25 children!! Then there are the venues which I thought were fab but friends had used already were Caister Hall and Park Farm at Hethersett! Both of these are beautiful but we decided we just couldn't use some where we had already been to a wedding already for our day. Hence we ended up with Southwood Hall as its a relatively new venue. We did visit alot of venues in this area so if you need anymore ideas let me know.. We probably visited it or looked at it. Hope thats helpful. Good luck with your search and rest of your plans.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics