Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner September 2011

Wedding Venues - North West UK - SMALL budget BIG numbers!! HELP!

blueeyedgirl, 6 October, 2009 at 10:58 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi

I'm looking for a wedding venue in the North West, I live in South Manchester so somewhere local to that would be good - Manchester/Cheshire/Lancashire - trouble is we have a small budget of around £5000 (for the actual wedding event) all in but a large family so would be looking at around 150 people at the reception and around 100 for the wedding - tho we could cut this down! I have done some research but all seems super expensive - we are happy to have a winter wedding and finger buffet for reception guests to keep costs lower.

Also as we live together now and have everything we need whats the ettiquete on putting wedding stuff on the wedding list such as photographer and wedding cake?! And how does this work??

PS - if anyone can also recommend a good book - idiots guide to organise a wedding - first steps, planner, etiquette, sample text for invites, etc etc that would be great

THANKS!

Sarah

9 replies

Latest activity by alison76, 30 January, 2010 at 15:33
  • M
    maddiecat ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sarah

Have a look the Cheshire County Council website - it has a great list of all the places that can do civil ceremonies etc. Also why not look at town halls in the area - I have decorated several weddings at Congleton Town Hall - it is a big room which would cater for your numbers. I did do a wedding at Stockport Masonic Hall in the large room at the back - they have chefs within the hall so everything could be organised for your reception there. The bride and groom got married at Tatton Hall, had cake and drinks there before moving onto Stockport.

Just a few ideas for you - if I think of anymore I'll yell!

Heather

• The BFG
    Beginner August 2010
    The BFG ·
    • Hide content

As has already been said, have a good shop around for your venue, and see what they offer for your money in compararison do any of them have special rates?? i.e we got 10% off for marrying on a friday and an aditional 10% off for booking before the end of feb, also under 4's eat free and under 10's are half price so we have booked the venue's deluxe package and have managed to arrange everything for the wedding for around £6500 thats less than one venue quoted us for its budget package alone!!!!

and we get the bridal suite complementary (this was a must for us we wanted a room for the night) BARGAIN!

It is a venue in the best western ( the Limpley Stoke Hotel) chain so i would imagine they all have very similar packages do you have any best western hotels in your area?

Happy venue hunting! x

• laineywhu
    Beginner July 2010
    laineywhu ·
    • Hide content

I had the same problem, I have a massive family but not a massive budget, Im having my reception in my local working mans club, its not for some people, HOWEVER! Its a MASSIVE big hall which has just been refurbished, the drinks are really cheap and they are doing everything in there powers to make my day special, and I am being charged £400 for the whole evening, and thats including bar staff! If this is something you would consider have a look around at local halls, church halls, working man clubs, it could save you a packet!

• B
    Beginner September 2011
    blueeyedgirl ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for this - it seems not to be the venue but the food that is killing us - like £400 room hire and then SO much for the food like £15 per head and with 150 people thats £2,250 just on evening food, let alone the wedding breakfast for the guest! Maybe I could look into hiring a venue then doing outside catering as that would be cheaper and probably nicer quality as well.

No idea weddings were this expensive- how do people do it?!! x

• CBear
    Beginner April 2009
    CBear ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sarah,

I'm in South Manchester too (Levenshulme), would re-iterate what others have said. Are you having church or civil ceremony?

I would say the best idea is to go for a late ceremony, then you only need to feed the guests once. You could go for a buffet, or depending on the time of year you could have a bbq or a hog roast or something similar.

• yummymummy05
    Beginner November 2010
    yummymummy05 ·
    • Hide content

HI Snurton,

i'm in Bolton (not too far away). I'm getting married at the Last Drop Village in Bolton. We're hoping to keep our budget under £5000. So if you any help or tips, give us a shout. I'm off to Berketex in Manchester today looking for my dress - theyre having a sample sale. Best thing i would recommend is to shop around.

Theres lots of venues in and around Manchester that will suit your budget. It all depends what kind of venue you are looking. We looked at The Willows in Salford and loved it. The only downside to it was that it didnt have a disabled access and was on the top floor. We have a couple of guests that are a little unstable on their feet. That was the only reason we didnt go for it. They offer some good packages. But shop around and best of all, have fun looking.

xxx

• Ice Queen
    Beginner January 2007
    Ice Queen ·
    • Hide content

When we got married a few years ago we had a late wedding 3pm, then buffet only in the evening for all the guests - we put this on the invite so that people didn't expect a sit down meal - is this an option?

If not, how about a hog roast for the wedding breakfast?

• A
    Beginner August 2007
    alison76 ·
    • Hide content

Don't know where in south manchester you are but have a look at:

Quarry Bank Mill

Belfry House Hotel

Both were very reasonable when we booked our wedding for 2006. We went to the Belfry and the whole reception - drinks, dinner, evening buffet, DJ, room hire etc for just under 100 people came in at just under £5K.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics