Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

judeclarke
Beginner October 2011

Wedding website - self indulgent or useful tool?

judeclarke, 29 March, 2011 at 13:32 Posted on Planning 0 18

I started setting up a wedding website last night, but now I'm not too sure. I wanted somewhere that guests could RSVP online (so they've got no excuse that they can't find a stamp), book a room, download a map or get directions, email us, upload photos and share comments after the event.

Is it just a self-indulgent bragging vehicle or is it actually a useful communication tool?

I'd say most of our guests will actually visit it, and people who aren't going will be able to visit too - it's just password controlled access - so I think it will be useful in that respect.

But is it a bit much for a small informal wedding? I know I don't have to use all the features on it, but I feel telling people 'look at my wedding website' is a bit OTT.

What do you guys think?

18 replies

Latest activity by sapphire_22, 27 April, 2011 at 17:57
  • Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

We have one - I think its useful and somewhere to put additional info you couldnt fit into the invite.

You dont have to make it cheesy - i.e. lots of photos and and 'about us' page if you dont want.

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

I did contemplate it at one stage, but as we arnt having a mahoosive wedding I didnt really see the point in doing one. Its all down to the individual if it will work for them i suppose.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

We are not having one but it is such a small wedding and we spaek to everyone who is coming very regularly that it wasnt really needed, plus we are all going there in convoy and we have everyones accomodation for 3 days as part of the exclusive package we have booked so no real need to tell them anything!

My cousin is getting married later this year and has done one and it is really useful for info and replying to invite online plus she has set up an online wedding list so people can buy them experiences, meals and drinks out on their honeymoon, it works really well

• jjsmum
    Beginner July 2011
    jjsmum ·
    • Hide content

I think they can be useful, it just depends on what you want it for? I started setting one up but then I thought b*gger that, will end up as more work so I just stuck to the old fashioned way & used an email address for RSVPs and posted out venue info!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

It's been a god send for us - we have 150 guests coming all day, and only about 40-50% live in the area, so the maps, where to stay pages etc are massively useful for them.

I am a fan of the minamilist invites, so there is very little un necessary "words" on our invites, everything that was said is relevant to all guests, rather than covering everything every guest could possibly need to know in one document.

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

We're having one, it's pretty essential for us as we're just putting the bare minimum of information on the invitations so people will be asked to visit the website to RSVP, see the menu, directions, gift list information etc. This should work ok for us as our guests are pretty techy, there's only really one or two people who wouldn't be able to go online and we will make sure they get the information they need some other way instead. Although I love pretty stationery, we figured this would be a more eco friendly option too.

• Ibizalovin
    Beginner January 2010
    Ibizalovin ·
    • Hide content

Resurrecting an old post but didn’t want to start another on the same subject.. Can anyone recommend a good site option for me to use?

• KateyP
    Beginner February 2010
    KateyP ·
    • Hide content

Mywedding.com is good, albeit a little bit American!

• thor1
    Beginner August 2011
    thor1 ·
    • Hide content

We made ours on gettingmarried.co.uk and it's very useful as we're getting married abroad so lots of information needed for guests!Plus it's got a place where guests can make song requests as a friend is djing so we can pass them on.

• S
    Beginner June 2011
    SouthB2B ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for gettingmarried.co.uk - easy to use and has meant we could keep the invites simple and then add lots of accommodation options, taxi numbers, places to visit, useful things to know eg we won't be eating til 4.30 so have an early lunch! etc. Lots of guests have commented that it's been useful - though I'm sure half are just being nice!

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

My sisten in law had one she got married in France last year and we found it really useful especially as she had organised a few social gatherings, so it had times addresses, maps etc. Local airports, huge list of accomodation. We are having quite a small affair and there are a few elderly people that dont have computers so I think it would be pretty pointless in our case but I totally see why people use them and I wouldnt say they were self indulgent in answer to the OP.

• B
    Beginner
    Baroness ·
    • Hide content

We're having one, and again, it's because I hate when people put in a folded up piece of A4 in their invitations with info on. I think it looks awful and ruins the formality of the information. We will just have "For more information, see our wedding website...." or something that sounds less like a pamphlet. I also hate pocketfold invitations with all seperate little cards in. Sorry - don't mean to offend but they're not my thing.

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

I remember I was invited to a wedding where the bride had set one up. It was full of ? stories about the romantic proposal (omitting the part where they broke up a week later and then got back together again) and other cheesy stuff. I tried to show it to OH a few days later but when I typed in the web address nothing came up. Finally I realised my mistake - I had been looking for emmaandjameswedding.com when the real web address was emmaswedding.com ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics