Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hannah
Beginner July 2023 Oxfordshire

Wedding website vs physical invitations

Hannah, 5 of October of 2022 at 23:18 Posted on Planning 0 20
Hi ladies!
Any experiences regarding wedding websites instead of physical invitations?! Thinking it could be quite practical whilst also saving money as invitations seem I be quite pricey!

20 replies

Latest activity by Caris, 10 of October of 2022 at 23:59
  • Lea
    Rockstar July 2023 Kent
    Lea ·
    • Hide content

Hi Hannah,

I've created a website with Hitched so that people can get the important information like venue and hotels etc. but will be sending physical invites as well. I managed to get Save the Dates from a company on Amazon which were cheaper than other ones I've seen online. Will use the same company for the invitations.

Lea

• Hannah
    Hannah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Lea! What company did you use if you don’t mind me asking?!
  • Zoë
    Savvy August 2024 West Sussex
    Zoë ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Hannah, I’m new to planning and personally really like the tradition of sending Save the dates/invitations. Like Lea, We have set up the site and will be sharing with my guests for information but we’re currently looking at different styles and designs as I’m thinking of making my own save the dates/invitations.
  • Lea
    Rockstar July 2023 Kent
    Lea ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Hannah,

It's called thesavethedatepeople,co,uk already linked to the word 'company' in my original post. I found them on Amazon and ordered through Amazon but may order my invitations direct with them. My Save the Dates arrived within 3 or 4 days of ordering. Very pleased with them. Once you order them, they will contact you by email with a proof.

• Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 Warwickshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    Yes I love the idea of online invites! But I always question how it would work with the older generation. Some people like a hard copy. You could always cut the cost and just do online wedding invites for the evening guests?
  • Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 Warwickshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    We used green envelope for our engagement party invites and they send emails once people have RsPVd
  • Katherine
    Beginner April 2024 Fife & Angus
    Katherine ·
    • Hide content
    Hey! I’m doing the hitched website for all the information and the RSVPs but also sending out physical save the dates and invites! Hope this helps! X
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It depends on your guest list. We used traditional printed invitations as our older friends and family either don't have internet access or wouldn't feel properly invited with an e-invite! Plus I know a lot of our guests like to keep invitations that look nice. A couple are still out on display now, over two years later!

If your guest list are all online and not the kind to keep ephemera as keepsakes, then e-vites are fine.

• C
    Curious May 2023 South East London
    Christina ·
    • Hide content
    We don't have many older guests but I personally like sending physical save the dates and invites and I think people like having something to put on the fridge. However I do want people to RSVP online as it seems easier, so the STDs and invites will have the website on them.

We will also simply message round save the date messages/pictures and information because most of our guest list use WhatsApp.

I already made a website with "with joy" before I found hitched so I'll likely keep that because I'm lazy. I think all mainstream wedding website providers are good enough.
    I am making our stationery. I'm handy with design and the free version of canva is good enough. I'm looking at templates that exist, but have used my own artwork with some of their assets. I intend to get them printed cheaply with vistaprint or printed.com both of which do discounts and sales. My projected cost is around £25 for save the date cards. Less if I don't want envelopes. That doesn't include the postage or magnets we might send, but you get the idea; it can be affordable. There are also companies out there and artists who are happy to make them for affordable prices or let you use their templates and print it for you.
  • C
    Curious May 2023 South East London
    Christina ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You could also do both! Print a couple of nice invites for the patents and yourselves but go digital for most.

I'm just going with affordable invites cos whilst I do like the idea of sonething physical, most people just throw it in the bin. I've seen people online claiming to spend thousands of dollars on invutes; and whilst I completely respect their right to do it, it just seems like a lot of money for something that goes in the bin.
  • J
    Curious September 2022 South East London
    Julia ·
    • Hide content
    We got married 9 months after getting engaged so save the dates were unnecessary. We sent physical invitations and did the hitched website for updating information as we got organised and for rspv’s. We used optimal print and spent £60 on invitations then went back later to create orders of service and menu/ name cards.
    Don’t forget the cost of postage which was about the same as each invite for us! I would recommend a mixture of both to keep costs down and remember that they do end up in the bin however beautiful they are.
  • Abi
    Dedicated May 2024 Conwy
    Abi ·
    • Hide content
    We’re planning on sending physical invites but doing RSVPs via the website - found some beautiful DIY invites to attempt!
  • PIP
    Beginner May 2025 Islas Baleares
    PIP ·
    • Hide content

Some friends of mine used gettingmarried.co.uk to send out online invitations - although it wasn't as special to receive, it allowed them to have all their information such as RSVP and dietary requirements all in one place. I imagine the hitched option does the same!

• Lex
    Dedicated July 2023 West Yorkshire
    Lex ·
    • Hide content
    We are sending physical invitations but further details and RSVP will be on our Hitched website x
  • S
    Savvy July 2023 Essex
    Sian ·
    • Hide content
    I’m doing it completely digital. Save the Dates I made on the website Paperless Post, but I didn’t want to pay to send them so just screenshot the design from my phone and sent it to everyone via WhatsApp.

And for the main invitations I’ve made a website on “with joy” which has a feature to either email or send a social media link to guests with a digital invite where they just follow a link to RSPV. And then I’ll get instant notifications with their responses and menu choices all updated onto a spreadsheet so it’s easy to manage. And it’s all completely free so invitations aren’t costing us anything and is much more environmentally friendly too!
    (I did start to make a website on Hitched but didn’t like the designs and lack of customisable options so have used WithJoy which is much better and easier to use)
  • FL.
    Savvy October 2023 Puy-de-Dôme
    FL. ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to do both but have found that the Joy website is the best! Smiley heart

https://withjoy.com/

• Hannah
    Hannah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Sian! That’s super helpful!
  • R
    Beginner October 2024 Cornwall
    Rhianne ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi i'm trying to sort out the website with hitched however can't figure out for the life of me how to change the menu options on the rsvp!

• Lea
    Rockstar July 2023 Kent
    Lea ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Rhianne,

You need to go to planning tools, guest list and then click on the each of the tabs ceremony, reception, wedding breakfast etc and to settings in each of them and then add menu choices or edit where you can remove the standard ones which Hitched created.

Hope this helps.

Lea

• C
    Curious June 2023 East Sussex
    Caris ·
    • Hide content
    I was originally just going for e-invites but it felt so impersonal and most people I know barely use email unless it's for work. Everyone's on WhatsApp, which defeated the point of using e-invites.

Plus, I love getting post that's not a bill or marketing! So we've gone for DIY STDs and invites that I've designed and made. I love arts and crafts, so I find it really relaxing to do.
    We also have a website for info and RSVPs, because I think most people are too busy to faff with return postage. I've got a few printed RSVPs for the older folk who aren't online or don't find it easy to use websites.
    I'm personally, okay with people chucking mine away, but since it's paper and eco friendly too, I expect it will go in the relying (at least I hope so!!).
    But do what works best for you. If your friends and family don't really care, then digital is great!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics