Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Maldives2013
Beginner December 2013

Wedding websites - a good idea?

Maldives2013, 10 of January of 2013 at 15:31 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi everyone,

I have been costing up invitations and they seem to cost loads! As we are having our wedding a distance away from where we (and most people live) to get all the information required, i.e. accomodation details etc I would need pocketfold type invitations so I can fit several pieces of card. I have heard of wedding websites beofre, one of them being gettingmarried.co.uk which I have looked at. You can put all your info on them, gift lists, accomodation details, transport etc.

My question is, has anyone used a website like this in place of a wealth of information on the invitation? I was thinking I could do a single card invitation with the basic information and putting the website on as a form of rsvp'ing and say all accomodation details etc are on our website. Do you think people will like this method or prefer the traditional invite with all extra details included on it?

I would obviously say that people can rsvp by phone or get additional details from me if they have no access to the internet, although all the people coming are pretty internet savy.

Thanks in advance

x

12 replies

Latest activity by Molly, 2 of February of 2024 at 15:31
  • sabina150
    sabina150 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I personally think that wedding websties are a great way of giving your guests more detailed information. It also means that you don't have to include lots of inserts etc in our invites. More and more people are using wedding websites instead of all the inserts and seeing as most of your guests are internet savy, you shouldn't have any problems.

Some of the sites also include photo gallerys that you can share with your friends and family and the chance to take a poll from your guests. Gettingmarried.co.uk is one of the better websites out there!

All the best with the rest of your planning.

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Being a bit of an eco nut I've decided the whole invitation thing will be done via a website or online. Second time round I don't feel such a need to be traditional, and sadly most of the older generation in our families, who would appreciate a 'proper' paper invite, are no longer with us. As we're paying for it all I feel it's easiest this way as well as being cheaper and not using extra paper.

Though a bit of me would like the fun pf making them and putting all the bits together in a little 'welcome' pack explaining the day, accommodation requests, directions, parking etyc, but with all that it would bump up the cost of postage lol.

Have no idea about websites, so will be reading replies with interest ?

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Fine if you are absolutely certain all your guests have access to the internet and are able to use it. Some of my older relatives wouldn't have had a clue or the confidence to try to access a wedding website, so it wasn't even an option for us.

And I personally prefer the aesthetically pleasing invitations we had - we had lots of comments on them - and the written replies on cards or letters which we kept too!

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    morristobe ·
    • Hide content

I'd never heard of this idea before and so googled it and it looks fab. Can anyone reccomend a good site and are the sites 100% secure etc?

I think i'll still send out nice pretty invites but is much easier for people RSVP'ing :-D

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    morristobe ·
    • Hide content

I'd never heard of this idea before and so googled it and it looks fab. Can anyone reccomend a good site and are the sites 100% secure etc?

I think i'll still send out nice pretty invites but is much easier for people RSVP'ing :-D

• Lola-Belle
    Beginner April 2013
    Lola-Belle ·
    • Hide content

Ive used getting married.co.uk and ive got to say its brillient, my guest love it too. i gave them the option of formal rsvp or online ive had 14 online since sunday so i say go for it!!

xx

• Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+
    Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+ ·
    • Hide content

Ive used pingg.com (2 gs is correct) before for various things and they are a very easy website to use for electronic invitations and management. They have some very nice free designs and are quite an easy website to use.

• Maldives2013
    Beginner December 2013
    Maldives2013 ·
    • Hide content

Great! than ks for all the responses - i think i wil go along this route then, saves money on lots of inserts and is probably more convenient for most people to use as well!

• gizmobear
    Beginner September 2013
    gizmobear ·
    • Hide content

For our September 2013 Wedding we are using gettingmarried.co.uk after some friends used it for theirs a few years ago.

We are in the process of setting it up, and I am looking forward to writing the "about us" section. I think its a really nice way for people to find out about you and about the place you're getting married without having to worry about posting everything to everyone.

Obviously we know not everyone in our guest list has internet so we will be asking them if they can access it, if not we will still make sure they get all the relevant information.

We were also considering using the site for people to "donate" money to us for something like a honeymoon. My only concern with this is that apparently the site takes a cut of this money. I dont know if guests would want to use it if they realised this and may find it better putting money in a card so we actually receive all the money they plan to give us.

This is something worth bearing in mind, and I didnt know this when we "donated" money to friends through the site for their honeymoon- towards an elephant ride or something I think.

I think its a great idea but not if you expect everyone to use it and dont take into consideration those people who dont have access to it, and may feel alienated.

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    beansprout171 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We've found our wedding website to be working really well.

The site we're using is new but it's very inexpensive (only £25 for the year) called the wedding website group (http://www.theweddingwebsitegroup.com).

We've been able to send our invites through the website and receive guests RSVP's with any additional messages from them which has been very handy....and a saving. There is an option to password protect the site too which i might do at some point but for now you're welcome to take a look at what we've done so far:

http://rupertandjan.theweddingwebsitegroup.com

Users do seem to be visiting the site so i think in the long term it's going to save us making loads of phone calls and answering loads of phone calls with the same questions. We haven't uploaded any images as yet, well only to the gallery area just to test it out really but we've found the whole thing very easy and quick to set up. All in all i would recommend a website...it's useful and it's good fun.

Hope that helps

x

• M
    Beginner March 2013
    Mary Marry ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

we've set up our site at www.invitavi.com and I must say that it was a great idea. We printed link to our website on traditional invitation. Our guest knew almost everything about our wedding (how to get there, RSVP, contact info to us, gift list) so they didn't ask many questions (phones, emails.... I hate thisSmiley winking What I like the most, was a guest book where everybody could write something nice to usSmiley winking Another cool thing is a photo gallery where after wedding you can place photos in photo album.
    So do not hesitate - it's really practical thing, and you'll have a lot fun making itSmiley winking

and I must say that it was a great idea. We printed link to our website on traditional invitation. Our guest knew almost everything about our wedding (how to get there, RSVP, contact info to us, gift list) so they didn't ask many questions (phones, emails.... I hate thisSmiley winking What I like the most, was a guest book where everybody could write something nice to usSmiley winking Another cool thing is a photo gallery where after wedding you can place photos in photo album.

So do not hesitate - it's really practical thing, and you'll have a lot fun making itSmiley winking

• <3FutureMrsN<3
    Beginner March 2016
    <3FutureMrsN<3 ·
    • Hide content

I think they're great for extra information like nearby hotels, taxi numbers etcetc but I wouldn't send invites like that... I have got people who haven't got the internet

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics