Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner February 2017

Wedding without evening do?!

Suzbishal, 25 of July of 2015 at 21:40 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had planned a wedding with no evening bit. We are planing on have intimate rustic barn wedding without the traditions of speeches etc. We want a ceremony, welcome drinks, photography, nice meal then mingle with guest before we head off on honeymoon. There's going to be a lot of kids invited and we are having it on a Sunday therefore guests may want to head back home as we plan on having it where we live rather than where our families are from.

Just wondered if anyone had planned anything like this?

9 replies

Latest activity by Ash953, 26 of July of 2015 at 11:37
  • AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome!

What time is your ceremony and how far do your families have to travel?

If your family don't have to travel too far, then having no evening do should be fine. My experiences of Sunday weddings is that people will want to attend to help you celebrate, but if possible they would rather not take Monday off as holiday so leaving early would suit a lot of them.

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

Ours! In 4 days time!

Ceremony at 12 followed by lunch at a fish and chip shop over the road. We wrote on the invitations "the celebrations will finish around 4pm, when we shall go on our honeymoon!"... although we've since decided to head to a pub for a bit first (have texted all guests to let them know).

Everyone has responded really positively to this, especially as all guests have a fair way to travel, and most have kids.

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I suppose mine was similar to an American wedding - we had a late ceremony, drinks and then dinner and home.

• S
    Beginner February 2017
    Suzbishal ·
    • Hide content

Thanks. We are still in the early stages of trying to decide what we want. Our families and friends would only have around a hour of travel- so not too bad! I thought people wouldn't be able to come if they had to take Monday off work.

We just really want it on a Sunday as its our anniversary. Plus I've been to a few weddings where it just drags waiting around and then having to stay till the end of the night bit! We're not massive drinkers etc and would rather be on the way to the airport hehe

Nimsay- sounds great, that's nice to hear you have had positive feedback. Not long to go now, All the best!

• K
    Beginner October 2015
    Kcatnip ·
    • Hide content

This sounds like a great wedding, especially for people with Kids.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

We didn't have an evening do. We went home in the evening. I honestly never even thought of having an evening do!

It was quite common years ago for couples to depart for the honeymoon in the evening.

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

Thinking about this, you could start the wedding at 12ish. Do ceremony, photos, maybe a drinks reception and a nice meal. Potentially be finished come 7pm.

Sounds like a lovely idea :-)

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    Milly_Bride ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding like this and it was lovely! Daytime ceremony and a nice buffet lunch afterwards while everyone mingled and chatted, then people either went home or stayed around and continued to catch up in one of the local pubs.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Is it the evening dancing that you don't want, or the 2nd meal? I got married in Aus, where there isn't this separateday/evening guests. All guests come to the reception, then usually a sit down meal, then dancing/music. No 2nd meal, buffet etc. We got married about 2-3pm, meal about 5pm. No reason you need to provide a 2nd meal, just let guests know.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

This sounds awesome.

We didn't have a separate "day" and "evening". Our meal was dinner which went on for a few hours with fireworks in the middle. Lots of chatting and catching up, good wine and drink. No disco lights or DJ. It ended at 11pm, but I could have easily have left at 9:30ish to go to bed.

A more compressed day would be good.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics