Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Daisy Bell
Beginner August 2015

Weddings venues / registration offices in East Lothian or Edinburgh

Daisy Bell, 26 of January of 2015 at 15:06 Posted on Planning 0 5

My boyfriend and I just got engaged and we are most likely going to have a small wedding with just a few guests (4-5 guests + us) this summer.

We live in East Lothian, and want a civil ceremony... we are looking for a venue that will not charge much (or possibly just a registration office).

Does anyone have any tips based on personal experience? Which registration offices have nice interiors? Looks like in EL, there are two, Musselburgh and Haddington... which one is nicer? Or is there one in Edinburgh that is really pretty? Or other free or cheap venues just for the ceremony?

I really don't have a clue, as I only moved here two years ago and have never attended a wedding in the area.

Thanks ladies!

5 replies

Latest activity by Daisy Bell, 5 of February of 2015 at 09:09
  • Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

Hiya! Congratulations Smiley smile

I'd recommend looking on the relevant council websites, some of them will show you. So check out Edinburgh city council and Lothian etc. I know some people who have been married in Edinburgh city chambers and said it's lovely.

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20197/weddings/173/get_married_at_city_chambers

I always recommend the Scottish Wedding Directory for these things. The magazine is split into areas, and you can filter on their website for finding venues or suppliers.

I always said that if I had a registry office wedding it would be at the South Queensferry office, overlooking the bridges. Then up the street to one of the lovely restaurants! You'd get some gorgeous pictures with the bridges in the background too!

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, some great ideas. Unfortunately the East Lothian council doesn't have much information on their website, but I might get in touch with them directly.

South Queensferry is a great idea - lovely place. The city chambers look beautiful but seem quite expensive based on information on their website?

Maybe it'd be best if I contact both individually and see whether they do any "packages" for just a ceremony with a few guests.

Will check out the Scottish Wedding Directory, don't think I'd come across it but it sounds like it might be very helpful.

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

Hi Daisy,

These might be of interest:

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20002/births_marriages_and_deaths/347/civil_ceremonies_in_edinburgh

I always loved the South Queensferry one though, I've not seen inside but you'd get some smashing photos and there are some lovely restaurants within walking distance!

Here's a link to the directory, It's been great for my planning!

http://www.scottishweddingdirectory.co.uk/directory

Good luck!

• T
    Beginner September 2015
    tash&ste ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married at the Chambers (in the Melbourne suite), its costing £225 in total. Lovely place! Far cheaper than getting married at a different venue as far as I have seen. X

• T
    Beginner September 2015
    tash&ste ·
    • Hide content

Also forgot to add, friends of mine got married at S.Queensferry reg office then had a meal at Orocco Pier with just a couple of family members. We were considering this as it sounded lovely. :-) xx

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your help!

Have an appointment to view the South Queensferry registrar's office tomorrow! Will take my future MIL as my OH will be at work.

I am also planning to view the Lothian Chambers, as that would definitely be in our budget as well. Only worry would be having it in the centre of Edinburgh as we'll be getting married during the festival. It will be a weekday though, so I'm not excluding it as an option.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics