Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner October 2022 West Midlands

Weekday Half Term Wedding

Gemma, 30 of July of 2021 at 12:37 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi all,

New here and in the early stages of planning our wedding. We have found a venue we adore and to get married on a weekday is substantially cheaper than a weekend. My OH is a teacher and the majority of his family/guest list are older relatives that are retired and my mom works in a school; so for a quite a few of us, getting married on a week day during half term is no issue. We have about half of the guest list that will have to travel as we are from different parts of the country and our friends are scattered across the UK.

We decided straight away that we don't want to get married on a Saturday as my OH would like to be able to enjoy the day before the wedding (and rightly so!) so we considered a Sunday, but as it turns out the venue is far cheaper on a Monday.

My question is, it is reasonable to consider getting married on a Monday if it's better for us? We know there will be people that won't attend and others that will complain (we have been engaged only 3 weeks and we've already had a lot of people complain about certain things we've discussed!) but honestly, it would mean we could open our invitations out to people who are on our "if we can fit them" list, rather than people we are obligated to invite.

TIA! x

3 replies

Latest activity by Rijbewijs, 31 of October of 2021 at 07:35
  • Marcie
    Rockstar August 2021 Bristol
    Marcie ·
    • Hide content
    I’ve been to weddings on all different days of the week, if it’s going to save you money then go for it. Just give your guests plenty of notice x
  • Emma
    Rockstar August 2021 Wiltshire
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    Do it!! It’s your day so screw what others think.
    As long as you give them enough notice to get the time off work then they can’t moan.

Just bare in mind as well as booking the day off work they may want to book the next day off too. Then plus travelling expenses too it could be quite pricey for them to come. My OH is self employed so would lose 2 days wages so he wouldn’t just go to anyone’s wedding on a week day just close family. But if it enables you to invite more People then I’d go for it. Least great aunt fanny’s next door neighbour’s dog Walker won’t get an invite like when you have to invite these people 😝
  • Voiceoftruth
    Dedicated October 2021 Oxfordshire
    Voiceoftruth ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married on the Monday of October half term this year! I’m a teacher too, and about half of our guests are retired or self-employed. Apart from foreign guests who can’t come, we have only had one person so far to say that they can’t get the time off work. None of our guests have complained (openly!) about it being a weekday. If they did complain to me, I would tell them that it isn’t an invite, not an obligation, and they are welcome to attend or decline as suits them.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics