Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner April 2019

Weekday Wedding

CoastalBride2019, 26 of February of 2018 at 15:59 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi! I'm new to Hitched, and I've seen that there are posts on this subject, but this is a little more specific. For a venue that my partner and I love, it is substantially much cheaper to get married on a week day than a weekend. However, his mum, his brother, his sister, and his brother-in-law are either teachers or work in a school. Because they're immediate family, we'd hope that this would be ok, but we're still feeling anxious, as truly we have no idea other than fragments of online research.

No one else in our guest list is a teacher - just family. We feel concerned already that a weekday wedding will be difficult for some (some people we know are freelancers/work irregular days/in the arts so they're generally fine), and we don't want to cause hassle for anyone, but the price difference is so extreme. What do you think?

9 replies

Latest activity by carleyemma, 4 of March of 2018 at 21:11
  • H
    Beginner May 2019
    HappyGoldCakes14475 ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

People are mostly receptive to things if you just ask them to be honest. Have a chat with them hypothetically about how likely it is they're able to get the day off, if they need a certain amount of notice or anything. then hopefully they're more likely to have an open conversation with their boss about it in return.

we are looking at a weekday wedding for the same reasons and everyone understands why and said they would probably do the same!

And with enough notice, most people are happy to take the day off work, might even plan their own mid-week break around it if its nice enough! (that's what I'd do!).

you can only control your part of it, so don't worry too much about other people because they will find a way, especially if you are open with them and have a chat before the invites come out. Weekday weddings are a lot more commonplace so it's not totally unexpected anymore

hope that helps!? :-)

• S
    Beginner April 2018
    shanmia35 ·
    • Hide content

I would speak to his family before booking. We’re having a weekday wedding and the only people who can’t make it are teachers. Evidently schools are v strict on this kind of thing. Depending on how far away your wedding is or how senior they are, they may be able to swing it but you wouldn’t want to book and then have them all say they can’t come (and I say this as someone who knows how much cheaper a weekday wedding is!)

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

In my school you can have special consideration to have one day off for a close family member's wedding, they would have to fill in a form and wait for a response. It's down to the headteacher to say yes or no.

• M
    Mum-of-bride ·
    • Hide content

Perhaps you could have a weekday wedding during school holidays, there are plenty of weeks to choose from throughout the year.

• C
    Beginner April 2019
    CoastalBride2019 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone so much for your support! Since my post I have looked at when my partner's family's school holidays were and very luckily, they all share the same school holidays (I had a heart sinking moment when it looked like his mum's school was off the first two weeks of April and the rest of his family the last two weeks! Fortunately I called the school and they said it was the last two weeks as well. Phew!). So for now we are provisionally holding 25th April 2019! We'll see if we go ahead with that venue and date!

• F
    Beginner November 2018
    Fireworkandfairylightwedding ·
    • Hide content

As a teacher myself (and the only one in the family) I didn’t even consider having a weekday wedding, no matter how much cheaper it is. I have booked a Saturday during the week off at the end of October.

Bottom line is, if you want them there, book it on a weekend or during the holidays. I would be really disappointed if my sister booked a weekday wedding knowing how much pressure that would put on me having to get the time off, or not being able to attend at all.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This ^^^^

Weekday weddings can save a small fortune....

Peter

• C
    Beginner October 2018
    carleyemma ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a teacher but work Monday to Friday for a local authority, my SIL to be is getting married on a weekday and I'm a bit miffed that I'm needing to use 2 days annual leave for it as my wedding is also this year and I need my precious annual leave for that!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics