Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner November 2021 West Sussex

Weight Loss Motivation & Dress Advice

Stephanie, 11 of February of 2021 at 10:57 Posted on Beauty & Wellbeing 2 11

Hi all,

I know there are lots of similar posts, so apologies. I have tried to lose weight unsuccessfully for years and am an unhappy size 20. I am getting married in May 2022 and have enjoyed wedding planning so far, but am dreading dress shopping.

I'm very keen to drop a dress size before the wedding (at least) but am very aware that that had been my goal for some time and have so far been unsuccessful. I work in a medical field so not really looking for advice on weight loss but would be keen to hear any success stories, or people in similar positions, or any suggestions for motivation, motivational books, anything like that.

Also does anyone have any experience with plus size dress shopping? I shop online a lot these days and the thought of dress shopping with the shop assistant and my nearest and dearest absolutely horrifies me! I have booked an appointment in a big London shop for June as I know they have a large range and plan to take only one bridesmaid with me. Any other tips? Thanks for reading my long waffly post!

Steph x

11 replies

Latest activity by Farruhk, 13 of March of 2021 at 13:26
  • April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    Congratulations on tire engagement!

I didn’t think I had experience of plus-size dress shopping until I tried on a Justin Alexander wedding dress on October 31st 2020 and was told I had measurements of 41inch (bust), 36inch (waist), 44inch (hips) and would need to order a dress in a size 18/20 (I went into lockdown a vanity high street 14/16 and that was me at my biggest). As I type this my new measurements are 35inch (bust), 30inch (waist), 40inch (hips) and have dropped nearly 2 stone. I can’t wait to go back for my fitting and have them take my dress in 3-4 dress sizes! ??‍♀️??
    This is to say if you want to loose the weight there is no better time that for your wedding day. Thinking about my dress gives me the energy to get out of bed in the morning and exercise (Pilates, cardio and weights), be mindful about what I eat etc. I’ve also started time restricted eating (1st meal at 1pm, last meal by 7:30pm). I’m still drinking and don’t feel deprived.
    If you don’t loose the weight that’s also not a problem. Enjoy the lead up to your wedding and don’t let weight overshadow the love between you and your fiancé x
  • S
    Stephanie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for your inspiring and kind message Smiley smile

Did you find there were a good selection of plus size dresses or it was quite limited? Or maybe I dont want to know the answer to that question!

Well done for your great success! xx

• April21Bride
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    I found there were loads of dresses- I went to London brideUK (south east London). They were so helpful- I sent them photos of 5 dresses I liked and when I got there they had those and many more to fit the style and fit I said I wanted. I had a lovely time shopping with my aunt (because of covid I could only have 1/2 people with me) and the consultants really help (I have excema that I’m self conscious of and she made suggestions as to how to cover it without having to wear a shrug etc as I didn’t want to look frumpy).

Honestly don’t worry. Any boutique that doesn’t stock enough of a range for you to try on isn’t worth your money. They should allow you have your bridal moment whatever your size x
  • S
    Stephanie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! Will check them out. Have booked an appointment with Davids Bridal which my sister used for her wedding too. Smiley heart Smiley heart

• Elen
    Beginner September 2022 Gwynedd
    Elen ·
    • Hide content
    Hi! Congratulations on your engagement! I recently got engaged and am in the same situation! Between gallbladder removal a year ago (and managing to eat more than I had in months!) and lockdown, I piled on the weight and was a size 20 pushing 22 when we got engaged on boxing day!

The thought of dress shopping is freaking me out, so at the beginning of January, I joined Weight Watchers (only using the app), and have lost 16lbs. Although I have a long way to go until I’ll be less freaked out but dress shopping I do feel a bit l closer to that now!
    The Two Chubby Cubs recipe books, and website have been my saving grace! I plan my dinners in advance, and have started doing an online shop for Sundays with all ingredients for my plan. It means I’m not going to the shops and buying everything and anythin I want (plus the added extra of extra savings for the wedding!) and it means I stick to the plan!
    I’ll also be starting a 15 min daily 6 week bootcamp in a fortnight (which I never imagined saying a month ago!!!)
    I don’t know if this helps at all, but I do know how you feel. You’ll no doubt look beautiful in your dress! X
  • S
    Stephanie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Congratulations on both your engagement and your amazing success! Well done! That is certainly inspirational. I'm trying to do the same thing and meal plan in advance. Often derailed though by things like my work having a bake off and there being cakes there most days! Just have to remind myself of my goal though and try and stick to it! xx

• Elen
    Beginner September 2022 Gwynedd
    Elen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh gooosh, I feel for you!! I’m not sure I could resist a bake off - good thing I work for myself! Ha! The thing I find worst is my fiance scoffing chocs all night, but am slowly getting used to ignoring it!! Ha! We’ll get there!! Xxx
  • Laura
    Savvy July 2022 Bristol
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    I'm in a similar situation although I am a size 28, I researched plus size bridal shops and found 2 in my local area, I reached out to them before hand and they were so lovely. Stella York has the most amazing plus size dresses. And I am looking forward to getting out of lockdown and trying some one .. I am struggling with the weight loss element as my other half is happy with how I look so isn't all the supportive if me loosing weight. Im going to keep trying though. I have the pinch of nom books and they are really good X
  • April21Bride
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We have pinch of nom too! Such tasty recipes.
  • S
    Stephanie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds positive that they were nice Smiley smile I guess I have to remind myself that if a shop isn’t nice then I don’t have to give them my business!

My other half says he loves me as I am but is supportive when I say that being big makes me feel unhappy in myself. Although he’s often a bad influence himself, as he’s 6ft6 and can eat a lot! I’m sure your partner would be supportive if you had that conversation? Anyway, good luck! I follow quite a lot of anti diet stuff on insta because whilst trying to lose weight I’m also trying to be more body positive. I’m sure you’ll look lovely either way on your day! X

• Laura
    Savvy July 2022 Bristol
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I follow a lot of body positive plus size influencer's. My main goal is to loose some weight and tone up and be healthy. But your right to remind yourself if they don't make you feel at easy at your appointments, don't give them your money. And the most important thing we all should remember is we are getting married to the person that loves us the most surrounded by all our family and friends who love us. ❤️

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics