Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsFoz-2b
Beginner April 2014

Weird and wonderful wedding themes!!

MrsFoz-2b, 30 August, 2012 at 21:04 Posted on Planning 0 9

As the title says, Im sure many of you have seen weird and wonderful things happen at weddings so I thought it would be an idea to share...it may create some inspiration......................?

Ive been to and worked at many weddings but there are a few that stick in my mind,

Firstly a 'French orchard' theme wedding - the bride wanted it to look like they were having an outdoor dinner party so she ordered fake fruit trees that would be placed around the room and the guests where going to be sitting around a banquet style table (rectangular with a space in the centre). So the fruit trees arrived at the hotel where I was working and there seemed to be rather alot of them and alot taller than the 3ft height she had described, they were varying heights from 3ft to 6ft full on trees, so the bride arrived to see the trees and help decorate the room, she was thrilled with the trees and so the decorating began!

So we began arranging them around the outside of the room until the entire perimiter of the room was lined (at this point I felt I really was in a forest clearing). So with the room lined we still had alot of trees left over so we ask the bride if she wanted them put anywhere else in the hotel her response was 'no put them in the middle of the tables' we all thought she was joking but no she really did want them there! So as lovely as they looked the guests the following day had to sit around tables with a view of trees! The guests couldnt see throught the trees to others guests and half of them couldnt see they bride or groom! It made for some interesting comments from their family and friends!!!

A WWE wrestling theme - From posters of the bride and groom posing as wrestlers to the centre peices of wrestling figures in vases! This was all very subtle and it took me a while to see what the theme was but it was a part of their personality they really wanted to show during the day and as un-wedding-ey as it sounds it actually worked and their guests loved it.

My all time favourite:

A murder mystery wedding!! - This took place one new years eve whislt I was working at a hotel and I shall never forget it! The guests had no idea what was going on but all the wedding party was in on it as were the staff. So all was going smoothly ceremony fine, dinner fine, evening reception began and thats when it all kicked of with the bridemaid running in to the room screaming, covered in blood, fake of course, that the best man had been stabbed (at this point I had forgotten myself what was going and was as shocked as the rest of the guests!) So the entire reception stops and the guests look absolutly mortified, until the grim reaper appears............yes they went all out....... he announces to the party that they are taking part in a murder mystery (cue lots of relieved faces) and that 1 person will be murdered every hour until midnight unless they find out who the murder is!

From then on the party get so invloved in this game they thought it was brilliant! They DJ carried on playing for those who didnt want to take part and all the party returned to count down midnight and reveal who the murderer was, they then all partied for another 3 hours before they had to be kindly asked to leave.........

So there are weird and wonderful theme experiences, lets hear some of yours.

Fozzie xx

9 replies

Latest activity by MrsFoz-2b, 31 August, 2012 at 10:43
  • Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

So who 'dun it'?!! The French forest seems ...different!

• MrsFoz-2b
    Beginner April 2014
    MrsFoz-2b ·
    • Hide content

Ah yes the murderer was........................the brides MIL ha ha!

Yes you could say different....not my cup of tea but each to their own!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Haha the MIL! Brilliant, hope she took it in good humour!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I love tall tree like centrepieces i think they look awesome, i don't really think it matters if guests cant see each other across the table its only for the meal and people will be eating anyway and in the scheme of things its only a small period of what is a very long day plenty of other opportunities to talk and mingle.

There was that wedding on DTTB where they had a Christmas theme in the middle of summer.

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

We went to a Medival themed wedding before. Big barn, archery, falconry and everyone in fancy dress. It was fantastic!

• Jen_P
    Dedicated August 2013
    Jen_P ·
    • Hide content

I am going Alice in Wonderland! Not dress up or anything, just in the decorations. I am having great fun finding things! These are some of the bits I have so far (any excuse)

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

We are looking into an art deco/1920s/great gatsby theme, although early on in the planning stages so nothing concrete yet, I will welcome anyone with ideas though!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Jen your flashes are gorgeous! Smiley smile

• MrsFoz-2b
    Beginner April 2014
    MrsFoz-2b ·
    • Hide content

Jen P I love the Alice theme!!

And I love the 1920's idea I have been toying with this idea as alot of the dresses I get drawn to are very 1920's!

I m having real issues with choosing a theme, one reason is that I am so indecisive..... my ideas so far are:

1) A midsummer's night dream, for the reason that the place I am getting married is apparently where Shakespear wrote the play and its first ever performance was there - the only downside to this is that I am getting married in April!

2) Tudor style - The building is Tudor so I was thinking Roses as they were the 'Tudor' Flower, invitiations on scroll/parcment type paper with the wax seal, lots of candles (my venue does accept flames) very simplistic ideas really I wouldnt want it to look too much like we had stepped back in time.

3) Art deco/1920's, feathers, beads, glitz and glamour that kind of thing!

Any ideas or pictures of things people have done on any of these ideas would be lovely!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics