Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

jimjams
Savvy May 2013

Welcome drink and toast... Does it need to be Champagne or will Sparkling Wine Do?

jimjams, 26 January, 2013 at 14:02 Posted on Planning 0 21

Just a quick one ladies,

What arrival/toast drink are you all having, Champagne or Sparking wine and what type of each...?

What I know on the subject really isn't worth mentioning, but I don't want to waste a small fortune on something my guests won't enjoy!

Thank you :-) xxx

21 replies

Latest activity by snow-woman, 27 January, 2013 at 15:47
  • *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

It all comes down to budget. We had sparkling wine and I cant say anyone minded.

I actually dont like champagne that much and I know many people who are the same.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I had pink cava for reception drinks as I wanted people to be able to have a fair few glasses and I couldn't afford to do that with champagne.

Toast drink was champagne.

It doesn't matter at all though!

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

Don't think it matters ? For post ceremony drinks we're having Pimms and lemonade, followed by cava when we get to our reception venue.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Welcome drinks: Cosmopolitans/bottles of Peroni/elderflower cordial.

Toast: whatever people were drinking at the time, wine/lager/whiskey/coffee/didn't care.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

It can be anything you want. We had Rum punch x

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

We're having Proscecco. I actually prefer it to champagne (it's lighter and easier to drink I think). Plus it is cheaper so we can have more of it!

• TamarValleyGirl
    Beginner May 2013
    TamarValleyGirl ·
    • Hide content

We'll be having a prosecco or cava, but you can have anything you like.

At our friends' wedding they had Katy Rose cider. It's really nice, the bottles look like wine bottles, a lot of the guests thought it was rose sparkling wine, and it's about £3 a bottle! Smiley laugh

• Andy_Magicman
    Andy_Magicman ·
    • Hide content

You can have whatever you like. If it's a summer wedding then Pimms and lemonade goes down well for post ceremony drinks. For the toast then anything is ok. Don't spend fortunes on Champagne if you don't like it!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wondered where I'd read this before lol I'm having good old Pimms and a sparkling elderflower cordial with loads of gobbins in it like the Pimms. Thanks FTLOMB!

• <3FutureMrsN<3
    Beginner March 2016
    <3FutureMrsN<3 ·
    • Hide content

Not sure 100% on welcome drinks. We will be having prosecco for speeches though ? Don't like champagne

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

I'd say go with something different and well within your budget, Most people I know would actually prefer something different to champagne as they always just drink it out of politeness anyway.

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

We went for a good quality sparkling wine rather than a cheap champagne. I wanted to provide plenty so people could drink it all night if they wanted to and there was no way we would be able to provide the real stuff for that. We went for Lindauer blanc de blanc and I don't think anyone could tell the difference (people even asked what "Champagne" it was!).

Having just looked up the name on Majestic I see it's currently on offer with £4 off. That would have saved up a fortune!

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

We're having bucks fizz as the welcome drink - but with sparkling wine mixed with orange juice, rather than a proper bottle of it or using champagne with juice. This was on the recommendation of our lovely caterers as no one ever notices the difference! Soft drinks will be bottled beer (peroni) and juice, and possibly a sparkling flavoured water.

For the toasts, we will be having champagne. As a bottle would usually do 8 normal size glasses - toasts will be abit less in a glass, it'll work out 6 bottles for max of 50 people (the other 6 are children) so are happy to splash out for this bit.

For the actual meal, we'll be having 12 white bottles, 8 rose, and 4 red - and then the catering staff will serve to guests directly, rather than leaving them on the tables. (There will also be beer bottles, orange juice, and jugged water on tables)

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

We don't need to pick yet but we'll probably have Kir Royale and cosmo's as reception drinks and then prosecco to toast (as I only like pink champagne, which is stupidly expensive at our venue)

• C
    Rockstar August 2013
    cherrybloom ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

DW you are a woman after my own heart, I have asked for this but they have quoted an arm and a leg..I do love rum!!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We would be dangerous together Girl ?

We were allowed to supply our own punch but the rest of the drink had to come from them. I think it should be part of your negotiations with them ?

• Mrs.P.To.Be
    Beginner March 2013
    Mrs.P.To.Be ·
    • Hide content

We're having cava - couldn't quite stretch to champagne!

• Katherine Courtney Weddings
    Katherine Courtney Weddings ·
    • Hide content

Why not deviate and try something fresh and new? How about during the arrival 'cocktail hour' you actually do high-balls and/or cocktails. Gin or Martini bars are fun.

For toasts sparkling wine is suitable of course. Champagne is in fact sparkling wine, but originates in the Champagne region of France. Cava for example comes from Spain.

Whatever you do it will be perfect and your guests will enjoy it no matter what. =)

Good luck and Congratulations.

KCWx

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

I guess it depends on your budget etc. Personally I don't like champagne. Our wedding was in the summer so we had Pimms and Sangria for our welcome drinks! Then sparkling wine for toasts (was so much cheaper)

• M
    Beginner December 2012
    MrsPearcetobe ·
    • Hide content

We got married just before Christmas and had champers and winter pims which was perfect - most people hadn't had winter pims before and it went down a treat (as did the champers!)

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    markandkatieswedding ·
    • Hide content

We're having sparkling wine as we can't afford champagne especially as in past experiences we've seen lots of glasses left behind when people find the bar.

• snow-woman
    Beginner April 2013
    snow-woman ·
    • Hide content

We're having prosecco for both (well, a mixture of prosecco and bottles of peroni for arrival drinks)

We got engaged in Italy so that's our excuse...it's also cheaper on the budget so win/win!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics