Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner March 2014

Welsh Theme....HELP!!!

swardy, 11 July, 2012 at 12:06 Posted on Planning 0 12

OH is Welsh and I'm English.

We've settled on a red and white theme with hints of green to incorporate the two but was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions for the rest of the day?

We've decided on Welsh Love spoons as favours for the girls and Penderyn whiskey miniatures for the boys. We're also having slate place settings that we're gonna go and collect ourselves on our next visit to North Wales next month.

I was thinking of having red roses but wedding is in March so was wanting more spring like flowers (and I'm from Yorkshire so white rose would be better!!). I was also thinking of trying to incorporate dragon fruit somehow (just for the 'dragon' bit!!), but this cant be part of the wedding breakfast or evening buffet.

Also having a civil ceremony so looking for some weddingy Welsh music for either my walk down the aisle or our walk out.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

xxx

12 replies

Latest activity by Helenia, 11 July, 2012 at 15:57
  • Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

March is the perfect time for daffodils!

I can think of loads of suitable Welsh songs for you but it would depend on what it's being played on. Are you just having a pianist/organist, or is it a CD player/ipod or do you have a choir?

• S
    Beginner March 2014
    swardy ·
    • Hide content

I considered daffodils but they wouldnt go with my red theme unfortunately Smiley sad

The music will just be a cd player/ipod for the ceremony, we're not having live music. I was thinking of having one piece of welsh music and one piece of english music for the ceremony.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

One of my favourites that we're having during the signing of the register is called "Ar Hyd Y Nos" (all through the night). Have a look on YouTube

• anothermrsjones
    Beginner July 2012
    anothermrsjones ·
    • Hide content

We're having Calon Lan played for us at the Church. Our band are playing some welsh songs as OH insisted on it so we're having sospan fach (sp, sorry I'm the english other half too) and obv tom jones Delilah.

• F
    floralexuberance ·
    • Hide content

You can have red rose and white mini daffodils if you wanted to- or you could go for artificial yorkshire roses mixed in with fresh red roses - the pic is of a yorkshire rose i did for a brides wrist corsage,other than that if you wanted spring like you could have white tulips instead of roses with ferns and pussywilllow

• S
    Beginner March 2014
    swardy ·
    • Hide content

I never thought of white daffodils, I'll look into that, thanks.

And I'm on You tube listening to the music suggestions as I type!!

x

• S
    Beginner March 2014
    swardy ·
    • Hide content

Also, much a I find it amusing and TOTALLY want to make fun of it, OH has banned me from any Tom Jones songs during or after the ceremony.....because he is actually called Tom Jones!! However, these are not banned at the evening reception so I think there will be one or two requests from guests Smiley smile

• anothermrsjones
    Beginner July 2012
    anothermrsjones ·
    • Hide content

? that has to be done surely? Mine is also a Jones but unfortunately not a Tom. I would love that though!

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

Being Welsh myself, we had a few Welsh things incorporated in the wedding.

Most have already been mentioned but we had:

• Pendery Whisky, merlin etc as favours. Our reception was opposite the distillery in Penderyn
    • Love Spoons for the bridal party
    • Calon Lan (my favourite) and other music played by Mwynion Mai (harp and flute duo)
    • daffodils
    • We had the dragon on all of our stationery. Just subtly on the back

What about Welsh Cakes in the evening or for the drinks reception?

Nat

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Isn't that a religious hymn though? You'd have to check with the registrar if they were ok with an instrumental version (some aren't!) It is beautiful though. Rather morbidly, it's actually on my "funeral hymn list!"

• S
    Beginner March 2014
    swardy ·
    • Hide content

It's definitely an ice breaker, especially this week when we've been having meetings with venues!! Am sure some of them think we're lying when we say he's Welsh because his accent is a bit of a mixture. Definitely having some TJ music at the evening do ;o)

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nope, it's not a hymn at all. No mention of any religion in it whatsoever!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah, it turns out there are several sets of lyrics to it, some of which are not religious and some of which are (the original Welsh ones seem not to be, from what I can tell from the translation, though there is a mention of Heavenly beauty or somesuch). The ones I learnt in choir were (sorry for giant text!):

God, that madest earth and Heaven, darkness and light;
    Who the day for toil hast given, for rest the night;
    May Thine angel guards defend us,
    Slumber sweet Thy mercy send us;
    Holy dreams and hopes attend us, all through the night.

And when morn again shall call us, to run life’s way,
    May we still, whatever befall us, Thy will obey.
    From the power of evil hide us,
    In the narrow pathway guide us,
    Nor Thy smile be ever denied us all through the day.

Guard us waking, guard us sleeping, and when we die,
    May we in Thy mighty keeping all peaceful lie;
    When the last dread call shall wake us,
    Do not Thou, our God, forsake us,
    But to reign in glory take us with Thee on high.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics