Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner

Welsh wedding ideas?

akhreg1983, 21 February, 2011 at 13:25 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi,

My H2B is Welsh, and while we are having the wedding in England, we'd like to incorporate some Welsh elements into the day. We had thought about having a Welsh reading/blessing (in English rather than Welsh, as neither my other half or the majority of his family speak the language!) - does anyone have any ideas on readings, or any other Welsh elements we could use on the day?

Thanks!

13 replies

Latest activity by septemberbride2011, 21 February, 2011 at 17:52
  • Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

From a Welshy myself!

It all depends on when you are getting married but daffodils always look stunning.

Love spoon favours, celtic inspired stationery? We also had Calon Lan as a hymn in the church as I love that hymn so much.

Nat

• Rebecca86
    Beginner July 2012
    Rebecca86 ·
    • Hide content

My OH is also welsh and we're having the Welsh love spoons as favours

What time of year are you getting married?

x

• H
    Beginner July 2011
    hjd1 ·
    • Hide content

Welsh cakes as favours or just welsh cakes served at some point. maybe mini love spoons as favours for women? We're having a real sized love spoon with our names and date engraved and putting it on a stand next to the cake.

We're having a harpist and male voice choir to make it a bit more welsh.

What about some daffodils or something rugby related somewhere?

• H
    Beginner July 2011
    hjd1 ·
    • Hide content

Also, depends on your cake but there some cake toppers websites which make to order and u could put him in a welsh rugby jersey

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

Ohhhhhh hjd1 - which Male Voice choir are you having?

Thumbs up for Welsh Cakes.... YUM!!!

Nat

• stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content

My OHs mother is Welsh and the theme of his sisters wedding was 'cariad'. They had mini love spoons for favours and I think brought in Welsh wine for the reception. The wedding cake had cariad iced round it.

• H
    Beginner July 2011
    hjd1 ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

Im having the Aber Valley Male voice Choir. Went to meet them the other day and the're truly amazing!

• A
    Beginner
    akhreg1983 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the quick responses everyone! Re the time of year, we're getting married June (2012). Love spoons are a great idea!

x

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

Oh, and this was my cake

• septemberbride2011
    Beginner August 2011
    septemberbride2011 ·
    • Hide content

I'm another welsh :-) I'm having welsh love spoons but getting married abroad so no hymns or cake etc for me to sort.

How about a lovely cake stand with bara brith and Welsh cakes? Celtic themed invites, Welsh tartan or even Welsh kilts? Stay away from dragons and Welsh flags lol! I think its nice to have a bit of a welsh theme without going too overboard xx

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

My OH's family are originally Welsh. He's having a Welsh tartan Kilt, and we have a celtic inspired design on our invites and on his sporran.

HATE the idea of mini love spoons as favours by the way - they'll be chucked out the minute the guests get home. And no-one will undetsand the symbolism anyway.

'Welsh Mist' liquer might go down well for favours though.

• septemberbride2011
    Beginner August 2011
    septemberbride2011 ·
    • Hide content

I still have my lovespoon from my friends wedding 9 years ago, depends on the person I suppose. I'm Welsh and all my guests are Welsh so they understand what the love spoon is about, depends on whether you have a mixture of Welsh and English guests but some make up a tag to explain the meaning of the lovespoon.

I love keepsakes ? (and hate almonds, liquor etc) so would prefer to have a keepsake. My OH wanted kilts but they only look good if you decent set of legs my father in law would be banned from wearing one for starters!

• septemberbride2011
    Beginner August 2011
    septemberbride2011 ·
    • Hide content

That sounds lovely - you have lovely ideas I think a touch of Welsh is lovely rather than shoving it down peoples necks lol!

I went to a wedding last year and the service was in a chapel and was in Welsh then all translated in to English including the hymns, prayers, vows the lot - was a very long service and the reception was even longer, speeches were in Welsh and were translated, jokes were not so funny 2nd time around (as I understand Welsh so was a bit of groundhog day to me!) lovely gesture but the day was twice as long and made it drawn out. All the men had Welsh kilts (and their legs were best kept under wraps lol) seen better legs hanging out of a nest, there were dragons about, rugby themes here and there, daffodils, bridesmaids were in green holding daffodils - I was just force fed it all and I'm Welsh myself, maybe I'm not as patriotic as I should be! xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics