Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rod
Beginner

We're Skint. Frugal Meals?

Rod, 11 of April of 2012 at 09:56

Posted on Off Topic Posts 48

Hi all, H and I are totally skint. We had a pretty big weekend which was great fun but now we have no money. So, what can i make for dinners / lunches that wont break the bank but is still healthy? Bearing in mind we have his kids this weekend too, G is nealry 12 and eats like a horse and M is...

Hi all,

H and I are totally skint. We had a pretty big weekend which was great fun but now we have no money.

So, what can i make for dinners / lunches that wont break the bank but is still healthy? Bearing in mind we have his kids this weekend too, G is nealry 12 and eats like a horse and M is nearly 9 and pretty fussy!

I'm thinking Spag bol friday night with the kids and I have a leg of lamb in the freezer so can do that sunday...but then we have a whole week and a bit to go before we have any more money coming in?

hit me with your best frugal meals!! x

48 replies

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nowt wrong with a "school dinners tea" We sometimes have similar for a treat during a bad depressing week, turkey drummers, smiley faces and sketty (spaghetti from a tin) Lush!!!!

• celticgoddess
    Beginner March 2012
    celticgoddess ·
    • Hide content

Mmm turkey drummers. I love them. My all time fave dinner from childhood is chips and egg with beans. So cheap so filling so unhealthy!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sure I saw on a SW site this was her favourite 'free' meal! Suppose it would be if made with SW chips, and spray oil to fry egg!

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

If you don't mind veggie meals then one of my cheap go to meals is a mexican lasagne made with veg chilli, tortillas and cheddar cheese.

Chop an onion and cook with half a bag of frozen mixed veg, tin of tomatoes, kidney beans and some chilli powder.

Put a tortilla on a baking tray, cover with veg mix, put another tortilla on top with some veg and continue to layer 3 or 4 layers depending on how many people you're feeding. Finish with a tortilla and a bit of cheese on top and bake in oven for ~15 mins until cheese is melted. You can put cheese in between the layers too if you don't mind the extra calories.

Cut up and serve with soured cream and salad.

Any left over veg mix or tortillas can be frozen. Left over soured cream I'd stick in a frittata the next day.

• LittleMissP
    Beginner September 2012
    LittleMissP ·
    • Hide content

My favourite cheap meal recently is scrammbled eggs on toast yummy and healthy!

How about a chicken biryani, easy to make as you just stick everything in one pot and you can make enough for lunch the next day. We've also used turkey as well as it's leaner and tastes just as good.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

This sounds lovely, it's making me hungry!!!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Stir fry is a great one...

£1-£2 for a shop bought stir fry mix

£1 worth of mushrooms

soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce, five spice, etc.

rice or noodles

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Potatoes are key to any Frugal meal, corned beef Hash, all you need is a couple of spuds a carrot a tin of corned beef and bobs your uncle this would easily serve 4 if not more.

Tuna and brocoli pasta bake as Vik said you can add anything.

As Panj said nothing woring with beans on toast, you could push the boat out and add an egg on top.

Jacket Spuds.

Stir Fry great shout!

• Nik_Nak
    Beginner September 2011
    Nik_Nak ·
    • Hide content

I posted this on another thread called "Mincemeat" - this recipe is fab because you can use leftover meat (cooked / uncooked) and any veg too -

Chinese Lettuce Leaf Wraps -

1 iceberg lettuce - de-leafed, keeping them whole, washed and dried

1 pack of mince meat or left over meat (cooked / uncooked)

A few garlic cloves / a small onion - plus any finely chopped veg suitable for stir frying i.e. mushrooms, peppers etc

Soya sauce / oyster sauce / hoi sin sauce / chilli sauce / whatever Chinesey sauce you have in the cupboard

Basically, fry the garlic in some oil, then whack in onions (if using them), then add your mince / meat and other veg, put in a few glugs of soya sauce / whatever sauce. Fry until the mince / meat is cooked / heated through.

To serve - take your lettuce leaf and dollop some stir fry mixture, wrap AND ENJOY!!! It's like a healthy taco / fajita with a Chinese spin - you can improvise with your ingredients and top your wrap with additional sauces, shredded spring onion etc.

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

You could make a nice light fried rice with those cupboard ingredients and some eggs.

Best tip i can suggest is go to the supermarket at about 7.30/8pm and get the fresh produce reduced and freeze ready to use, if you do it at the right time you can get some great bargains for 9p!

• K
    Beginner September 2012
    katzan ·
    • Hide content

Here's my absolute favourite cheap and easy recipe. So long as you have a good collection of spices. https://smittenkitchen.com/2010/02/chana-masala/

I don't bother with the fresh ginger and chili pepper, unless I happen to have them in the house. I only used the cumin seeds if I can be bothered to find them in the back of the cupboards. And I've skipped the garam masala on more than one occassion. And I use the tinned chopped tomatoes, as we always have them in our pantry.

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Hi all, thanks for all your input!

Yesterday i had a day off (new sofa got delivered) so I did some cooking, I made a huge batch of spag bol and left it cooking for hours so its really rich and tender without using loads of ingredients. I also make a tuna pasta bake using stuff i already had indoors. I went through the cupboards and freezer and planned meals until tuesday at which point i will do it again and go buy some more bits.

I've definitely been inspired by some of the ideas on here so thanks!!

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

Pesto pasta, nom!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics