Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

HatTrick
Beginner September 2010

Were you smacked as a child?

HatTrick, 6 January, 2012 at 16:06

Posted on Off Topic Posts 78

I've just been discussing this with my boss. I was smacked, my mum used to threaten us with the wooden spoon ? which she did use a few times! I can't ever imagine her doing this now and it's strange to think of it. I was never 'beaten' but did get the odd smack which whilst it didn't do me any harm...

I've just been discussing this with my boss. I was smacked, my mum used to threaten us with the wooden spoon ? which she did use a few times! I can't ever imagine her doing this now and it's strange to think of it.

I was never 'beaten' but did get the odd smack which whilst it didn't do me any harm I wouldn't say it did me any good. A far more effective method of punishment for me was if I knew that I had disappointed my parents, I used to feel awful.

78 replies

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This was me too! The joys of the West Indian up bringing. My Mum's one was "shut up before I give you something to cry about" Erm really, cuz that beating wasnt enough haha

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Yes. My Dad did the discipline, Mum was the informer. When doing something bad - nit jyst kiddie bad but morally bad, lying or something - Mum would send me to my room to wait for Dad to get home. Slipper, proper bare bottom stuff. Sounds dreadful now but honestly, never felt it unfairly meted, always consistent. Maybe, I don't know, 10 times in my childhood. Other main measures included grounding and removal of games console etc. This was a court room like decision, with a full discussion of why the penalty had been delivered. I never ever got the impression they did any kind of discipline out of anger.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Yep. Only ever once by my dad- he left a hand shaped bruise on my thigh ?

My mum would smack me all the time. I dont think its ever done me any harm though? I would smack my children if I had any and I thought they needed it.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha this sounds so much like my house. My dad worked away so my mam did all the disciplining but she used to sit us in the sitting room and tell us exactly what punishments were happening and why.

She also got so annoyed with us leaving crap all over the house that at the end of each day she used to gather everything up and put it in a pile in the living room. The three of us had to sit on the sofa while she gave each item to its owner. For every item we had 50p deducted from our pocket money. She didn't have to do it very many times!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

The sad thing is not that I was smacked so often, but that looking back now it was mainly because they lost their temper.

My mum was never any good at grounding, I used to annoy her too much.

My brothers are right little scrotes now (they're 21 and 19) and they run rings around my mum and dad. Maybe they need a good hiding with the wooden spoon?

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

I've never smacked my daughter. I've inherited my mum's glare...

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

At the risk of being horribly controversial, I think I'd choose to use smacking as a disciplinary measure for any of my own children. Not sure the State looks favourably on it though...

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

I had my arse smacked when I was younger, most people I knew did.

My kids are good on the whole and don't have to tell them off much, never smacked them but they are aware that I would consider it as a punishment if they did something really naughty.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS

probably best I dont have kids eh?!

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've never smacked my son either. One look and he knows to behave. My step kids are scared sh!tless of my glare.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wouldn't but that is purely because I don't think it did me any good and (IMO) there are much more effective ways of disciplining. I know that if I used smacking as a means of discipline I would probably end up doing it whilst in a temper, which is 100 times worse than a controlled smack on the bottom.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

I'm not saying I never would, I've just never needed too.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Likewise.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that some kids these days show no fear, they near to have that fear installed back into them.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think I'd want my kids to be fearful of a smack from me?

My brothers would probably fit into your statement above, and they were smacked quite badly just like myself and it hasn't done them an ounce of good. They have no respect for anyone, least of all my parents.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I think I *would* want my kids to be fearful of a smack from me. Not a random whack. But I think a bit of fear for consequences would do wonders for a lot of children...

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with this.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I dont think the idea is that children will be scared that a smack is going to hurt? I know for me it was the realisation that I had been really bad and needed to be punished. I would want my children to know that they had done something very wrong and that there are concequences to thier actions as oposed to be fearful that they would be hurt by me.

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you knew the kids I did, you would.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

EXACTLY THIS

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly!

Some kids these days show no fear and do what they want, when they want, where they want and they know nothing will happen.

When I was younger, we knew that if we were naughty we would be punished.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Why? What do they do that is so bad?

Surely if they had been raised to respect their parents and others in the first place then they wouldn't be how they are now?

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not saying that I don't want my kids to fear consequences, of course I would. I just wouldn't want those consequences to be violent ones.

I don't think I'd want them to think 'I better not do that because mum will smack me'.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

lots of kids are raised to have no respect for parents or grown ups.

My stepchildren are allowed to hit thier mum, shout and swear at her. They wouldnt dream for a second of doing that to us.

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Precisely the problem. If some parents were much harsher in the discipline department, children would know exactly when they'd gone too far.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I knew that if I was naughty I would be punished, and so did my brothers. Neither of us were bothered by the smacks once the sting had gone so they obviously didn't see a smack as much of a deterrent.

If my brothers were to have their PS3 taken off them now whenever they smoke weed in my parents house believe me they would stop doing it a hell of a lot quicker than if they were to get a smack.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

How old are they? I dont think a smack works much beyond the age where you can reason and trade with kids for things they like?

Small children have no real concept I dont think of bargaining- I have seen it work disasterously badly with my sister and nephew- you can ask a 2 year old to have a conversation about "why that behaviour is not acceptable"

Once they are teenagers I think the banning of xboxes, ps3s or whatever else kids have nowerdays is the best way to go about things.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think harsher has to mean a smack. Like I said before, a smack never bothered me. Knowing that I had dissappointed my parents did. Having my tv taken off me for a week would have bothered me a lot more than getting a smack.

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

I was once. My mum as felt guilty ever since but I don't even rmember it. My parents never even grounded us as kids. If we were ever naughty they just told us how disappointe they were in us. Worked every time ?

I would never hit my own children (if I am lucky enough to have any) because I don't believe it is a very effective form of discipline; I wouldn't want to hurt anyone I loved; and I don't want my children to think that it's ever ok to hit someone.

H and his brother used to get smacked/hit with a belt regularly when they were growing up. Apparantly his brother used to just laugh in his parents' faces as they were hitting him and carry on being naughty! Little brat...

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha they're late teens, it was a bad example really. But they are little shi.ts and people are always saying to my mum and dad that they just need a good hiding. ?

Maybe I'm getting this thread all out of context because I can remember being smacked up until early teens really. Probably got a slap a bit later too knowing how cheeky I was.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No if you ahve that sort of memory its alwasy going to colour your view on the subject- its an emotive one anyway.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Ouch!

• You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics